Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
no_hope

What sunscreen are you using?

Im fairly light and i hate wearing sunscreen because it makes me look more pale then i alrdy am. Also sunscreen appears to make my scars look alot worse. I use regular spf 50 sunscreen,

i have pitted scars on my cheeks and hyperpigmentation on my left cheeek. What is a good recomended sunscreen for scars and that wont make me so pale?

micron sized zinc oxide. zinc oxide is a physical sunscreen, which means that normally it will make you look white, but micron sized zinc oxide should not. there are chemical sunscreen alternatives that don't make you look white, but those are not nearly as effective and may also be dangerous for your health

the best out there is probably Kabana zinc oxide sunscreen

i spent days researching different sunscreen active ingredients, types, charts and graphs of uva/uva2/uvb, reviews, discussions, etc. and it's unanimous, micron sized zinc oxide is definitely the best, but you have to order it online and zinc oxide is probably the most expensive sunscreen active ingredient so expect higher prices

Edited by Brawn

I like EltaMD UV Clear, SPF 46. Its not chalky and it goes on smooth. It is meant for acne prone skin. It contains both zinc and niacinamide, which are very healing and help reduce redness.

What kind/brand are you using? I am using 100% Pure Argan Oil hydrator SPF 30. It's physical so it's a little white, but when I rub it in it completely disappears. Natural and good for acne prone skin.

Edited by bek_cogent

Keep the recommendations coming. I can never find a good sunscreen for acne-prone skin. I don't even care if I look white. I know zinc has the widest spectrum protection, but it is very low overall protection (low PPD). Is micron sized zinc different? I thought physical sunscreens could not reach the same high PPD that many chemical sunscreens reach.

i'm guessing what you mean by low pdd is persistent pigment darkening, which does not reflect overall protection, it gives you a sense of how effective the sunscreen is against UVA (as opposed to UVB)

if you look at the UVA and UVB graphs (which more accurately define sunscreen effectiveness than both SPF and PDD), zinc oxide has the highest protection and covers the widest range of UV rays. you simply look at the curves, the higher the curve = more protection at a certain frequency, and wider the range = covers larger range of UV frequencies

some active ingredients, such as the branded chemicals mexoryl and tinosorb, cover certain frequencies slightly more effectively, but are not effective at other frequencies

but zinc oxide pretty much covers everything at a high level

if you search online, you may find some contradicting uv coverage numbers for zinc oxide. this is due to a difference between nano, micron, and larger sized zinc oxide particles. from what i recall, the smaller it is (nano), the more effective it is. however, nano and micronized (not micron-sized) particles can be absorbed into the bloodstream, which can't be too healthy... and they may possibly clog pores more easily

anyway, another plus of zinc oxide is that it is generally non-comedogenic

Edited by Brawn

awesome. I'm going to look into a bit more and hopefully get a new zinc physical sunscreen (I find many chemical sunscreens sting my skin, especially now that i use tretinoin)

Thanx for the helpful info guys! sunscreen is deffinatley a important aspect in scar treatments.

it is very important everyone gets updated on the right sunscreens for our skin and recomondations.

Zinc Oxide sunscreen spf 32 called "burnout"...it really works and stays on without rubbing off..zinc sunscreens are the best because it doesn't contain chemicals that harm your DNA..it just reflects the light

I really like Burnout. Great price. Goes on smooth, feels light, and it doesnt give that white cast. I have heard others say they really like Devita.