Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myskinisHELL

What percentage of Lactic Acid should I get?

To fade hyperpigmentation as quickly as possible but without harming my skin? I've never done a chemical peel, so should I start with 30%? 35%? 40%?

Thx {:

Lactic acid is so gentle, my skin loves it. I'm kinda addicted to doing peels. I actually look forward to it. I bumped mine to every 5 days. Inside the pamphlet it tells you to start with weekly application on your first month, and then afterward you can increase it to every 5 days.

Lactic acid is so gentle, my skin loves it. I'm kinda addicted to doing peels. I actually look forward to it. I bumped mine to every 5 days. Inside the pamphlet it tells you to start with weekly application on your first month, and then afterward you can increase it to every 5 days.

I'm so excited to get mine in the mail! How long do you think it will take for me to start seeing results? I might take pictures of my skin after every peel I do to kind of track the progress and who knows, I might even put them on here to show everyone how amazing (hopefully) Lactid Acid is. :]

I'm so excited to get mine in the mail! How long do you think it will take for me to start seeing results? I might take pictures of my skin after every peel I do to kind of track the progress and who knows, I might even put them on here to show everyone how amazing (hopefully) Lactid Acid is. :]

Please do! I just ordered 40% lactic acid from MUAC. I'm waiting to get it in the mail and can't wait to try! I've done glycolic and salicylic peels before but never lactic. I have pretty tough skin but it's sensitive at the same time somehow. I'm hoping the 40% will be strong enough to have an effect on my stubborn skin. I have so much hyperpigmentation right now. In addition to the 5 active zits :wall:

Please do! I just ordered 40% lactic acid from MUAC. I'm waiting to get it in the mail and can't wait to try! I've done glycolic and salicylic peels before but never lactic. I have pretty tough skin but it's sensitive at the same time somehow. I'm hoping the 40% will be strong enough to have an effect on my stubborn skin. I have so much hyperpigmentation right now. In addition to the 5 active zits :wall:

Glycolic and Salicylic acid didn't help your hyperpigmentation or your acne? Wow, hopefully lactic acid is your saving grace.

And yeah I totally will post pics. :)

Glycolic and Salicylic acid didn't help your hyperpigmentation or your acne? Wow, hopefully lactic acid is your saving grace.

And yeah I totally will post pics. :)

Sorry that was a bit misleading. They definitely helped my hyperpigmentation LOADS but the problem was that my acne came back and thus more hyperpigmentation. I just don't have the down time for an invasive peel and lactic acid is, so I've heard, literally no down time. Of course with the glycolic/salicylic acid peels I would get one peel and shed like a snake for 7-10 days and at the end have NO marks AT ALL. Where as I'm sure with the lactic acid it's going to be a gradual fading type of process. That's okay with me, I can be patient.

Edited by ihavetaste

I have to be honest and say that it's a gradual process (definitely not overnight). You won't notice anything different after your first peel. Your marks will appear redder, but don't let that discourage you. It should return to normal within a day or so. Hopefully lighter than it previously was. Again, don't put too much hope of it getting rid of your marks after one or two peel. The results are cumulative. It will take a series of peels in order to get the results you want. In my experience, lactic acid works amazingly on older marks. Mine are practically gone. You can't even see it.

Edited by Anta

I changed my mind. I'm going to hold off on the peel for now. I need to get my breakouts under control first. My skin is going crazy because I skipped 2 days last week of not taking my Zinc. Like, 5 new zits DAILY. It's awful. I'm so bummed, I was really excited to be clear and start working on my red marks, but I'm not there yet. I was, until I effed it up. :(

Sorry guys. The peel pic post will have to wait. *sighs*

Acne sucks.

Anta:

Can you do lactic acid peels if you still have some active acne? My acne is almost completely under control, I have a couple little pimples here and there. But I have horrible red marks on my cheeks and chin that have been there for almost 2 years and I hate them! I'd like to give lactic acid peels a try if it's a good idea...

Anta:

Can you do lactic acid peels if you still have some active acne? My acne is almost completely under control, I have a couple little pimples here and there. But I have horrible red marks on my cheeks and chin that have been there for almost 2 years and I hate them! I'd like to give lactic acid peels a try if it's a good idea...

i found lactic acid pretty much just hardens the pimple and it stays like that for up to two weeks. might be different for other people but idk.

As the above poster said, I find that it just hardens the pimple until it scabs up and falls off. It doesn't do anything (in my experience anyway) for active acne. Personally, I would advise that you get your acne under control first before venturing into peel treatments. I didn't even consider peels when I was still breaking out. My first priority (skincare wise) was to clear up my acne. The hyperpigmentations that were present came in second. Once I cleared up my acne, I started to weigh my options. I started with home remedies (lemon juice, acv, egg mask, etc), just like everyone else. However, after months of applications, I found they neither improved or worsened the condition of my red marks, so I stopped using it once I was able to afford better treatments. And then I tried leave-on exfoliating treatments such as AHA and BHA, which I have to say are great preventative treatments for mild-moderate acne. AHA (whether it's Dan's, PC's or Alpha Hydrox) has been a life-saver for me, I'm still using it to this day for preventative measures. I used AHA for a year, hoping it would clear all the residual hyperpigmentations I was left with after my acne breakouts. It did do a better job at lightening my red marks than any other home remedies, so for me that was a huge step-up. But it still left me somewhat dissatisfied. During that time I became extremely impatient because a year has passed and I was still treating the same hyperpigmentations with only minimal improvements. In the back of my mind I knew there had to be a better method of getting rid of them, which sparked my curiosity even more. I couldn't let another year pass me by, so I inquired about other treatments on different skincare forums. Mostly everyone suggested home peels, because from their experience it made the biggest difference on their hyperpigmentations and sun spots. In that moment, I was sold. And I'm so glad I took that step.

I apologize for the lengthy post :lol:

And just a quick update on my red marks for those who are interested:

I'm delighted to say that they're almost gone. I did change the process of application, which made the biggest difference. Instead of applying the peel all-over, I decided to apply it only on my trouble areas where I have hyperpigmentations. I basically spot treated my red marks by lightly going over it 3-4 times with a cotton swab that I dipped in my peel solution. I left it on until I saw frosting (which is when the skin turns white) and neutralized it thereafter. It didn't look pretty because I was left with 4-5 big burn spots ( a size of a penny) on my face. My mom was so appalled that she had to pull me aside and asked me what I did to my face. She never make comments about my skin, even when I had it bad, so for her to do that was shocking :lol: The treated skin eventually turned dark brown and wrinkly. It stayed like that for three days, until it flaked off during my cleansing routine. Two days have passed since the treatment, and my red marks are so much lighter. I can't express how happy I am! I had a red mark on my cheek (which has been there for 4 months now) that was extremely red and it lightened it into a brown color. It's almost unnoticeable. With a tinted moisturizer, it's not even there. I'm so close to having my 'dream skin'. I know how silly that may sound, but I've never been this close to achieving it. Two years ago, I would have never thought it would be possible to get to this point. It felt like I was doomed to having shitty skin, and there was nothing that I can do about it. Fast forward to now, I'm singing a much different tune. Time really is the greatest healer! And also a bit of perseverance.

Sorry for getting off-tangent!

Edited by Anta

Hi, may i how many percent of lactic did you use , and how long did you allow the chemical to stay on your face before you wash off..tks. .as i alot of post acne red mark..see my local derma but sit no help..currently using vit c hope it help...

As the above poster said, I find that it just hardens the pimple until it scabs up and falls off. It doesn't do anything (in my experience anyway) for active acne. Personally, I would advise that

you get your acne under control first before venturing into peel treatments. I didn't even consider peels when I was still breaking out. My first priority (skincare wise) was to clear up my acne. The hyperpigmentations that were present came in second. Once I cleared up my acne, I started to weigh my options. I started with home remedies (lemon juice, acv, egg mask, etc), just like everyone else. However, after months of applications, I found they neither improved or worsened the condition of my red marks, so I stopped using it once I was able to afford better treatments. And then I tried leave-on exfoliating treatments such as AHA and BHA, which I have to say are great preventative treatments for mild-moderate acne. AHA (whether it's Dan's, PC's or Alpha Hydrox) has been a life-saver for me, I'm still using it to this day for preventative measures. I used AHA for a year, hoping it would clear all the residual hyperpigmentations I was left with after my acne breakouts. It did do a better job at lightening my red marks than any other home remedies, so for me that was a huge step-up. But it still left me somewhat dissatisfied. During that time I became extremely impatient because a year has passed and I was still treating the same hyperpigmentations with only minimal improvements. In the back of my mind I knew there had to be a better method of getting rid of them, which sparked my curiosity even more. I couldn't let another year pass me by, so I inquired about other treatments on different skincare forums. Mostly everyone suggested home peels, because from their experience it made the biggest difference on their hyperpigmentations and sun spots. In that moment, I was sold. And I'm so glad I took that step.

I apologize for the lengthy post :lol:

And just a quick update on my red marks for those who are interested:

I'm delighted to say that they're almost gone. I did change the process of application, which made the biggest difference. Instead of applying the peel all-over, I decided to apply it only on my trouble areas where I have hyperpigmentations. I basically spot treated my red marks by lightly going over it 3-4 times with a cotton swab that I dipped in my peel solution. I left it on until I saw frosting (which is when the skin turns white) and neutralized it thereafter. It didn't look pretty because I was left with 4-5 big burn spots ( a size of a penny) on my face. My mom was so appalled that she had to pull me aside and asked me what I did to my face. She never make comments about my skin, even when I had it bad, so for her to do that was shocking :lol: The treated skin eventually turned dark brown and wrinkly. It stayed like that for three days, until it flaked off during my cleansing routine. Two days have passed since the treatment, and my red marks are so much lighter. I can't express how happy I am! I had a red mark on my cheek (which has been there for 4 months now) that was extremely red and it lightened it into a brown color. It's almost unnoticeable. With a tinted moisturizer, it's not even there. I'm so close to having my 'dream skin'. I know how silly that may sound, but I've never been this close to achieving it. Two years ago, I would have never thought it would be possible to get to this point. It felt like I was doomed to having shitty skin, and there was nothing that I can do about it. Fast forward to now, I'm singing a much different tune. Time really is the greatest healer! And also a bit of perseverance.

Sorry for getting off-tangent!

Hi, may i how many percent of lactic did you use , and how long did you allow the chemical to stay on your face before you wash off..tks. .as i alot of post acne red mark..see my local derma but sit no help..currently using vit c hope it help...

I started with 40% and did 11 weekly peels before moving on to a higher percentage. Right now I'm using 50%. When I did the peel I applied it all over my face and allowed it to set for 10 minutes. I would then neutralize the acid once the time is up. I began spot treating my red marks a week ago, and it has made the greatest impact on the color of my red marks. I'm only dealing with a few red marks so I only apply the solution where I have hyperpigmentations. But before stumbling upon this technique I applied it as instructed on the pamphlet.

Edited by Anta

Tks for your reply, greatly appreicate. as i never done a peel before but i did used a cleanser which contain 15% saliciylic acid . As for a start , will the 40% of lactic acid caused any major peeling , or just slightly or unslightly peeling. And how long does the peel went off. As i dun want my face to look flaking as my job require me to put on make up. As i thought of using the acid twice or once a week. Do you advise me just to apply the acid on the red spot area will do or apply the whole face as a start.... As i knew lactic is a very gentle peel ..so starting at a mid range and allow for a few mins is it appropriate ??? or i just start as 25-30 % .please advise Tks

I'm looking for the right lactic acid to buy and I'm sure I want the 40% but I know it's very important to know the pH. What pH is ideal? is it 2.3 just like the glycolic?