Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gcs220

Accutane and Bone Growth

Hi, lately i have been wondering about the effects on accutane and bone development. I took accutane when i was 15(now 25). When i was 15 i was about 5"8 or so. Now im about 5"11, im am the tallest in my family. My question is does accutane affect the size of your bones. I am small bone and lanky. I do work out and lift weights reguarly and this is frustrating as my dad has bigger bones than me despite being shorter. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this matter. Only thing i can think of would be accutane but maybe i was destined to be more lanky than my dad anyway. Thanks.

Premature Epiphyseal Closure: There are spontaneous reports of premature epiphyseal closure in acne patients receiving recommended doses, but it is not known if there is a causal relationship with Accutane. In clinical trials for disorders of keratinization with amean dose of 2.24 mg/kg/day, two children showed x-ray findings suggestive of ACCUTANE (isotretinoin) premature epiphyseal closure. The skeletal effects of multiple Accutane treatment courses for acne are unknown.

Basically, it's uncertain but possible. Regardless, given that you grew three inches from age 15 onwards (which is slightly above average), I'd say it wasn't Accutane but rather luck of the genetic draw.

Hard to say as it is know to cause epiphyseal closure (which obviously didn't happen to you) and osteopenia and other bone issues, which could be a lot of things. Or like the last poster said luck of draw in genes! I take it your healthy and no other issues correct??

You've said you are the tallest in your famiy so I am wondering how you have figured out you have 'small bones'. Have you had an xray? Realistically most people have the same size bones, if you've not had numerous breaks then you probably also have the same bone density. If you think you are lanky then I'm afraid that sounds like luck of the draw, and hey, because you grew that bit more then the rest of your family. You probably have a higher metabolism, and naturally have a different body shape.

Yeah when i said small boned i meant that i have a smaller frame than others in my family. Dont know if it was accutane related or not. And i said 5"11 im more close to 5"10. If i took the recommended doses at 15 could stunted growth still happen?

Yeah when i said small boned i meant that i have a smaller frame than others in my family. Dont know if it was accutane related or not. And i said 5"11 im more close to 5"10. If i took the recommended doses at 15 could stunted growth still happen?

Yes, but it is too late to tell as you would of had to have a xray to see if it caused epiphyseal closure or not after your course. Having one now won't do any good as you are 25! However, if your happy & healthy that's all that matters!