Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unbreakable1

Why did my GP and a dermatologist tell me nothing can help acne scarring?

Honestly, who knows? Maybe there's this struggle between cosmetic companies and medically prescribed skin medication to make money.

Because after my dermatologist said there are no miracles (actually looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked about microdermabrasion), she offered me a gel to reduce oil for $80.

And you know what, I tried microdermabrasion anyway. It was expensive and it's not like magically my skin was 100% better BUT I noticed enough of a positive difference to think the dermatologist didn't know what she was talking about. Or like I said, knew she wouldn't make money if she recommend what is, essentially, a spa treatment.

I am glad you brought this up. Over the years I've lost virtually all respect for doctors. I avoid them at all cost. I consider them to be self-serving scam artists who will do and say anything to make money. I am nearly 40 and have NEVER found a doctor who was an exception. I normally try to be positive, but I cannot muster up enough positive words to make a positive statement....

I have been to 4 dermatologists within the last 25 years. I have asked ALL of them for scar treatments. I was told that nothing could be done for ice pick scars....except laser surger which would be at least $3,000....but more than likely much much more since I had a lot of scars. Therefore, I have lived my entire adult life with unsightly scarring. Expensive treatments have NEVER been an option for me.

You cannot tell me that medical "professionals" with 7 years plus education DO NOT know about the options available. Believe me, they know. However, they only want to perform procedures that are ungodly expensive.

I have greatly improved my severe scarring within the last 10 months, for less than $100. I would guess that I have another year before my scars are undetectable.

I doubt that I will ever visit another dematologist.

Fucking idiots. I tried for a dermatologist for ages. I went 1yr 6mon before I got one, and they fucked up my appointed. I had my appointment in Jan, got told it was March. During the time, I got hit with a cystic acne break out, and it scared. If I ever get rich I fully intend to soul. Its thousands to try and fix and there is none. Its purely treatable but, there is no fix. I was thinking fraxel but, its not safe. Check the IPL damage support forums. I am considering fillers.

The investment in lasers is huge, and if a doctor has not made that investment he will not recommend it. Fraxel Re:pair does work, but it is expensive and requires multiple treatments, and people with darker skin may not be able to do it. I will be going for my 5th Re:pair this October. I became rather inactive on the board for some time so some of the links are probably dead, but you will find enough information to wet you appetite. I will probably return for Re:pair tune ups on a yearly basis. As you can tell by my sig line I have been treated at the highest level of 70mj

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...ma-t252527.html

Edited by DudleyDoRight

I also go to a hospital dermatologist! I've just started accutane and was told that after the treatment if any scarring is left they will look into sending me to a clinic in london for laser treatments..

The hospital itself has no treatments either so they would have to send me somewhere else.

Guest Timehealsall

i fucking hate doctors and dermatologists with a passion.... but let me tell you, there is actually ONE doctor that i know (Who works at kaiser permanente hospital in los angeles) who is the greatest doctor i have ever seen.

He does not lie to me, he is honest as fuck, and he does not give me shit just so he can make money.

Hell, i have some nose bumps on my nose (fibrous papules) and he offered to cauterize them for free. When i asked him about acne scarring and treatments, he told me that there are a variety of treatments available... (and wait for it).... and that since he does not have much expertise in that area, he suggested i find someone who is well-versed in acne scarring (instead of just telling me to go with lasers). He also gives me shit for free all the time... too bad we can't seem to figure out WHAT THE FUCk is wrong with my skin