Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jesscakes

Alcohol, smoking and acne

Okay. Need some real advice....does smoking and alcohol contribute to acne? Like...(i know this is shit and maybe odvious) but I smopke like, 30 cigareetes a day a drink every day(because of extreem emotional insecurity related to acne. ) Does this really make it worse??

alcohol make many people break out, to others it doesnt affect at all.

In my personal experience drinking a lot breaks me out, and white rum breaks me out terribly

Well, it sure doesn't make it any better.

But all that smoke can't be too great for your skin. Also, I really hope you're exaggerating the 30 cigarettes, because if not you're making something a lot worse (and it isn't acne).

For the most part, I don't think smoking directly contributes to acne, but I definitely think it can aggravate it. It can end up fueling it through the hormonal stress response you get with widthdrawal, it can weaken your immune system--make you heal slower and more susceptible to infection, it also cuts off the blood supply to your face, and that fucks up all kinds of stuff. So yes, it's entirely possible that your smoking is aggravating your acne--especially if you're older and have been smoking this much for a while. Either way, at some point, smoking WILL start fucking up your skin, so the sooner you quit the better (sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear). There are all sorts of things to aid you--not just nicotine gum, but medications like Wellbutrin and Zyban. The meds can help block the cravings and they'll also help with the stress (so will exercise). As for the alcohol, you could try giving that up too, and see if it helps. Hopefully you'll be able to go out and celebrate by getting completely shitfaced when it doesn't.