Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tereza

27 and 7th week taking isotretinoin, acne persistent

Hello all,

this is really depressing. i'm 27, female and still plagued by acne.

Over the years I might have registered here and posted before (the first time I bought Dan's products was in 2004). My acne appears and disappears. Now its in the appear phase, and it came back with a vengeance.

the reason ive been clear for the longest time was because of BC pills which i have been taking on-off for 11 years. the longest span of being on it without break was for 4 years or so, which I eventually had to stop this january due to atropic right ovary. when my OB recommended i give my ovary a rest, i knew i was doomed. soon enough my acne came back. i had as much as 30 acne in my face at one time - pro-active and bp and salicylic was just not working.

i went to the derm in my country who recommended isotretinoin 20 mg per day (i weigh 42 kg), and then topical erythromycin in the mornings and clindamycin before bedtime. it didnt seem to work, and now that i am back in my husband's country i found some of my old stuff that i decided to apply - the neutrogena complete acne therapy system. AHA, the bp. it did help out with the acne, I now only have 10 or less active acne and more dried ones. i am now unfortunately in my 7th week and new acne seem to sprout just when i get rid of the older ones. they crowd around one area (around mouth / chin area) but i occasionally get them at the side of the face and forehead. and now my face IS SO DRY.

i stopped going to gym for the meantime as the derm suggested i could be breaking out around the forehead area because of the sweat (i used to run 4k at least 3x a week and do weights..). for food, i dont eat pork and beef other mammals, red meat etc from age 14. and since being in my husbands country, we do eat a lot of raw food here, the air is clean, the water does not have flouride. i sleep long. for 2 years i quit smoking (during my worst breakout, i wasnt smoking) we change sheets every 3 days, i cut my hair short, i decided not to use shampoo for a week and substitute with baking soda.. but still my acne persists.. despite the isotretinoin. i called my derm who said i should intake 30mg everyother day. i have been doing that for 2 weeks now, and the results are minimal. when do i start seeing results? or is it just not working?

im thinking of going to swim in the gym now, but im afraid of aggravating my acne with chemicals in the pool. i feel like half of my life is being taken away in efforts to minimize acne, and still they persist. :( what am i doing wrong?

Edited by tereza

You're on a low dose and results from Accutane show for most people around third or fourth month. Be patient. :)

7 weeks is just the beginning. Wait... :) As the above poster said the best results happen around the 3rd month.

If you don't already, make sure you take it with a glass of milk or food containing fat, it's more effective that way.

Edited by Callum.

you can see in my post above yours that I too have a list as long as my arm of stuff i've tried until this week nothing was working so you could give this a try ..

"It was the cheapest and easiest solution i've ever tried .. no Big regieme everyday

And here's what I do :

1. wash my face at night with head and shoulders (or Nizoral - whichever you have to hand )

2. Put a layer of milk of magnesia all over my face and leave it there for the night

3. just get up in the morning and rinse it off

Et Voila ! the adult acne that had returned for months, after all the drugs and every other remedy had failed to clear, was reduced to nothing by dandruff shampoo and Milk of magnesia all for under 5 euro !"

best of luck !

thank you Callum, Claire M and Caspereire for your encouraging replies. i appreciate it.

i'm getting worried because according to the derm, most of his patients get cleared out by the 3rd week minimum and maximum 6th week. im way past that but still see new acne sprouting almost everyday. they are smaller and easier to treat, but still.. i except so much for a medication that costs so much. i will hang on and try to be patient..

i also learned the hard way that it is not a good idea to use nose pack (the sticky pad) to get rid of white heads, my nose was stinging afterwards :(

To Caspereire, I researched this milk of magnesia. I'll try to get my hands on them, but I doubt i can find it anywhere - were not from the us. I saw a post about magnesium citrate, an acid, being better than milk of magnesia, but when i googled in the local language, most of them were in tablet form..i wonder if you can dissolve it in water and put all over your face?

thank you Callum, Claire M and Caspereire for your encouraging replies. i appreciate it.

i'm getting worried because according to the derm, most of his patients get cleared out by the 3rd week minimum and maximum 6th week. im way past that but still see new acne sprouting almost everyday. they are smaller and easier to treat, but still.. i except so much for a medication that costs so much. i will hang on and try to be patient..

i also learned the hard way that it is not a good idea to use nose pack (the sticky pad) to get rid of white heads, my nose was stinging afterwards :(

To Caspereire, I researched this milk of magnesia. I'll try to get my hands on them, but I doubt i can find it anywhere - were not from the us. I saw a post about magnesium citrate, an acid, being better than milk of magnesia, but when i googled in the local language, most of them were in tablet form..i wonder if you can dissolve it in water and put all over your face?

I'm not in the US .. I'm in Ireland. And its pretty easy to get in any chemist/ local shop here .. its only an indigestion medicine so i'd say you should be able to get it anywhere really.

Best of luck with the Accutane. It does take layers of skin off so stay out of the sun and dont use the nose packs! :-) But it really does work. It can affect your moods but its worth it for a few years of acne free skin