Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Portis

Would you say this describes you . .

Please take a look at this and tell me how well you relate to this disorder?

This is for my own curiosity. I believe a wide amount of acne suffers past their adolescent years suffer from identity crisis.

This is for my own curiosity. I believe a wide amount of acne suffers past their adolescent years suffer from identity crisis.

I feel like this can kind of describe me?

IDK, my therapist has actually recently discussed Body Dismorphic Disorder with me.

Have you ever seen a therapist? If you're really confused maybe one can help you through "stuff". I have no clue what I would do without mine. She's epically amazing. I can't tell you how many times I've called her really upset. Usually I leave a fairly long winded voicemail and she calls me back within a few hours.

Sorry, this was pretty OT.

Hmmm, not a lot of feedback. I'm just fascinated by people's perception of self and the psychology of the human mind.

Obviously, people with acne deal with different levels of emotional distress especially during their adolescent years. Was curious if anyone could say they related to IC.

I've never really looked at it this way, but I suppose this is an issue for me. In school, I was just the kid with acne who everyone made fun of. Maybe seven years later, I still feel like that's who I am and I've certainly made little progress in life compared to a lot of people I know of around my age. 

That's another thing too - a sense of inferiority. I just often end up thinking that everyone I see is popular and well liked, enjoying life and making something of themselves. For all I know, I could be way off the mark in my assumptions, but it seems like my default setting is to see everyone as being superior to or "better" than me. That really holds me back, which only strengthens that sense of inferiority I think.

I'm actually going to see a therapist in a few hours, first time. Need to put a stop to these things because I'm just letting life pass by, so I figured I could go and see what my options are, see what they can help me with and if I will benefit. :)

Edited by PaulH85

Yeah,actually this is another fency name of depression. :rolleyes:

No, I wouldn't say that described me nor does it now. I do think that it is dangerous territory to assume you are to have something that serious just because you are confused.

I am 22, a recent college graduate, who is practicing for both the LSAT and the GRE (the admission tests for law and graduate school, respectively) and I have no idea where my life is head in career-land. While that can bring anxiety at times, it's how you deal with those difficult moments that truly define you. It may sound cliched but don't be afraid of confusion or being overwhelmed. Embrace it, use it, and figure out your next step.

I've never really looked at it this way, but I suppose this is an issue for me. In school, I was just the kid with acne who everyone made fun of. Maybe seven years later, I still feel like that's who I am and I've certainly made little progress in life compared to a lot of people I know of around my age. 

That's another thing too - a sense of inferiority. I just often end up thinking that everyone I see is popular and well liked, enjoying life and making something of themselves. For all I know, I could be way off the mark in my assumptions, but it seems like my default setting is to see everyone as being superior to or "better" than me. That really holds me back, which only strengthens that sense of inferiority I think.

I'm actually going to see a therapist in a few hours, first time. Need to put a stop to these things because I'm just letting life pass by, so I figured I could go and see what my options are, see what they can help me with and if I will benefit. :)

I do feel a certain level of inferiority, or mainly feel that people feel superior when looking at me, as if looking at me actually encouraged them "Hey at least I'm not that kid with all that acne", I'm almost positive that's what they're thinking, also the fact that they end up touching their face on the exact same location as my acne, ever notice that? people always touching their face where your acne is at....oh humans...but as far as an identity crisis, I wouldn't relate, I guess I understand that ACNE is not part of the norm, and that humans have an uncanny-attraction towards the strange, weird, different, and because of that they'll always alienate that certain thing.

Edited by WakeUp

No, I wouldn't say that described me nor does it now. I do think that it is dangerous territory to assume you are to have something that serious just because you are confused.

I am 22, a recent college graduate, who is practicing for both the LSAT and the GRE (the admission tests for law and graduate school, respectively) and I have no idea where my life is head in career-land. While that can bring anxiety at times, it's how you deal with those difficult moments that truly define you. It may sound cliched but don't be afraid of confusion or being overwhelmed. Embrace it, use it, and figure out your next step.

Well honestly, I can relate to the portion of identity crisis about "not knowing where you are going". I'm 27 now and while I have spent all my 20's in the professional world it is only now that I take a step back and say forget about the money and prestige; what is it that I want to do with my life? What work is out there that is going to be spiritually full filling for me, something I want to dedicate my life to? When I was in my early 20's thoughts like this never crossed my mind, possessional wealth and making a lot of money was about the end of that thought process.

I think most younger people are only concerned about building up their life with the best school, credentials, experience; that everything falls in place if you prepare yourself for the professional world. They don't realize how hollow work really is; you need to do something you will absolutely love.

I wouldn't really relate anxiety to identity crisis. Fear of if there is a job waiting for you or the pressures of life differ from struggling to understand oneself.

We constantly change throughout our lives. I am a different guy to the guy i was 2 years ago, 4 years ago and so on.

This can be seen as an identity crisis because we are all constantly changing.

No one is normal. We are all unique so the term "Normal" does apply to people.

Just accept you uniqueness and if you are unhappy with something then change it.

We constantly change throughout our lives. I am a different guy to the guy i was 2 years ago, 4 years ago and so on.

Just accept you uniqueness and if you are unhappy with something then change it.

Not to be rude, but I think you're missing the point of what identity crisis is.

The evolution of an identity is different from the absence of a cohesive ego. It's not something that can just be chosen or changed, but is so fundamentally the person you are.

I didn't go out much in my teens and I. didn't really develop much socially so I guess I haven't really found who I am yet.

There was this one time when this really shy kid came into the class to the point where he would just stand outside against the wall and the teachers couldn't get him to come in, the teacher specifically chose me out of like 100 people to go out and speak to him, he said "this is sam, hes not going to be all in your face and rude you can totally relax with him" which felt really good, that people thought of me as that kind of person rather then the other 100 people.

OMG!! this sooo describes what im feeling right now..

i feel like i'm a completely different person because of my acne. it's my first time to have break outs on my cheeks and i find it hard to cope with it. I'm usually a care-free guy, easy to talk to (all the good stuff). But now i feel like changing because of this :(

I guess being human what makes us comprehend change. I mean (i'm no psychologist or what ever) but i believe that when faced with dilemmas such as acne etc. we must change ourselves in order to cope with it.

As of now, i still don't understand who i am. i though i knew myself before i started breaking out but i need to find another way to express myself

i hope you find yourself soon buddy. It must be hard for now but Hey! it part of life :)

<!--quoteo(post=3158996:date=Sep 15 2011, 08:09 AM:name=TakeToTheSkies)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TakeToTheSkies @ Sep 15 2011, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3158996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We constantly change throughout our lives. I am a different guy to the guy i was 2 years ago, 4 years ago and so on.

Just accept you uniqueness and if you are unhappy with something then change it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to be rude, but I think you're missing the point of what identity crisis is.

The evolution of an identity is different from the absence of a cohesive ego. It's not something that can just be chosen or changed, but is so fundamentally the person you are.

I understood perfectly.

I just view this kind of thing a different way from my experience.

You will see one day for yourself.

This describes how I was feeling a few years ago. I think it was a result of depression/anxiety I had at the time. I still don't really know who I am, but I think I'm getting there slowly. I think clearing my acne was the first step. It gave me the confidence to go out and discover who I was instead of just sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

Edited by Magdish

I never thought about who I am, like I never knew if I was white or persian, I went trhough my life thinking i was white because my mom is blonde hair blue eyes and i thought i was a white girl all throughout growing up until i hit my teen years then people said "your persian" and im like "what? I'm white" I couldn't picture myself as an iranian but, I look persian so people assumed that's who I am, and that I was muslim etc. But I have never been to Iran and am not muslim, I was christian so I felt like I had to accept the fact that I'm "persian" even though i feel white inside. And no one see's me as white even though I'm 50% European.

But i know what it feels like to not know who you are or to not believe you are what you look like. Like when my dad was talking to me, I was thinking "Who is this person talking to me? Is this really my house? Is this really my life? Am I really this person?" It's hard to explain but it was a really weird feeling, I felt like my Dad was a stranger.

This describes how I was feeling a few years ago. I think it was a result of depression/anxiety I had at the time. I still don't really know who I am, but I think I'm getting there slowly. I think clearing my acne was the first step. It gave me the confidence to go out and discover who I was instead of just sitting around feeling sorry for myself.

thats exactly what im going through. like im trying to be optimistic as much as i can about acne .

Before i had an acne breakout, i was completely ignorant about all the identity stuff, i was so fixed at myself looking good that i thought that my identity will come when comes that sort off thing

Acne changed my entire perspective about life. i found out that theres more to life than appearances and i believe that it'll help be stronger for dilemma's that lies in the future :)