Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amy91

Does constipation cause acne?

Well...I have chronic constipation and cheek acne. :rolleyes:

I've read somewhere that constipation causes acne. Waste that is not eliminated by your bowels then enters your bloodstream. These toxins now in your bloodstream need to come out somehow, so some will come out of your skin when you sweat. So of course, the end result is blocked pores and a possible acne breakout. My derm. says that my acne is cuased by hormonal disbalance, but after reading this article I am highly doubting it. Has someone dealt with this problem????

Yes, obviously if there is something clearly wrong with your system, it might be the cause of acne in your case. Iit's the problem of modern medicine that it seeks the immediate cause, while most problems are caused by a whole bunch of interlinked, consequential issues. And to my experience and knowledge most of them have their roots in digestive problems of varied character- different kinds of food allergies or intolerances, illnesses of the digestive tract, and so on... So certainly solve your digestive issues, if they are as obvious, and hope they are your cause. Visit a gastroenterologist, do whatever tests he prescribes, and if only you can afford it, do some sort of ALCAT-like delayed response tests aswell. Good luck :)

digestive disorders are associated with acne in a few studies.

and stress is associated with both acne and digestive disorders.

there are dietary factors to keeping a pattern of regularity, but also maybe you are stressed.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

This is actually crazy :D

I have hormonal disbalance, chronic constipation and I'm stressed out 24/7. So I don't know which one is the direct cause of my cystic acne. But I get ace breakouts on my cheeks only...

This is actually crazy :D

I have hormonal disbalance, chronic constipation and I'm stressed out 24/7. So I don't know which one is the direct cause of my cystic acne. But I get ace breakouts on my cheeks only...

improve your diet, and have hope for the future, usually that consists of some plan for the future that doesnt include crawling under a rock, which acne may encourage you to do, but i believe that is the stress component of most stress related health problems, little hope for the future, little excitement, perhaps a bit of fear and anxiety. it is possible that these feelings precede acne. it seemed to in my experiance. emotions are more powerful then we give them credit for, lots of science out there for it now. treat your soul at the same time your are improving your diet. you could say you are improving your emotional diet, eat plenty of the good stuff.

if there is one molecule i am most fascinated by, its melatonin. it may be the true cure all, kind of like the old phony cure all tonics that are reminiscent of olden days, it has anti cancer abilites anti inflammatory, it may treat many intestinal disorders,helps control blood sugar, inhibits lipid oxidation, improves blood coagulation, may improve alheimers and its inhibited by stress, which provides a powerful link to the mind and many illnessness. oh and there isnt any corporation that can patent it, but will likely be used in addition to traditional therapies in the future, its already been proven to extend the life of the worst cancer patients.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

i used to think it did, but after getting gastro overseas and having medicine which made me not shit for about a week my skin did not change at all. the inuits were constipated beyond belief for their whole lives and suffered no acne. poor bowel movements may be correlated with poor diet and therefore acne, but it's not the actual cause of acne.

After years of suffering from cheek acne, I finally realized that diet played such an important role. My dermatoligist suggested that dairy products were more likely to aggrivate acne. Once I eliminated all dairy my acne started to clear up. Plus I never new why I was always constipated....and again the culprit was the dairy. Know I easily use the bathroom and don't spend hours in there!!!!!!! I'm exaggerating but it seemed like I did since I had lots of difficulty, I even developed hemrroids :mad: !!! I know too much info!! LOL :D

i used to think it did, but after getting gastro overseas and having medicine which made me not shit for about a week my skin did not change at all. the inuits were constipated beyond belief for their whole lives and suffered no acne. poor bowel movements may be correlated with poor diet and therefore acne, but it's not the actual cause of acne.

Acne is a symptom, not a disease in itself. A number of issues can manifest itself through acne, so while it's not your cause, it might be the OP's, and let's hope for it for her sake. We are predisposed to this kind of symptom, just the way how my dad and my brother have diarrhea, while me and my mom react with nausea to the very same virus that tends to strike my family sometime in the late autumn. This is why it is interchangeably called stomach flu/ colon flu, depending what area it affects. And you are predisposed to developing one or another kind of the infection from the very same bacteria. I've read somewhere on these boards how healing guy's candida got him rid of acne. And not the systemic kind of candida, that everybody here is so anxious about, but the candida of genitals, treated with topicals.

I've read testimonies of people for whom the case was as easy as curing their teeth, which resulted them in clear skin. Acne manifests some issues with the body, cure yourself and you'll have clear skin. Healthy organisms don't present pathological symptoms. The only problem for most of people on these boards is that their aunderlying problem is really hard to pin-point, as it might be something that proves unharmful, or even beneficial, to others, such as food allergies to some nutrient- dense foods, and so on...

Edited by annayake

This is actually crazy biggrin.gif

Hey Amy, I just found this post, how are you doing with your digestive health? Have you resolved your constipation problem?

You should prevent constipation and cure any digestive problems. These are great contributors to inflammation and acne. Maybe something in your diet is making you constipated ( wheat for example or any other hard to digest foods)? Try to eliminate those foods. Eat more fruits and veggies, drink plenty of water. Do some research about constipation/acne and find ways to prevent it.

To me I think that acne and constipation are linked, but like annayake said, it is because personally my acne stems from my digestion issues and food intolerance's. I do think that if you are not getting rid of waste effectively in your body that these toxins can accumulate and show up on your skin. You have to address the issue of why your body isn't getting rid of the waste properly though. There was a thread on this board about someone who got clear from taking fiber everyday (just not psyhllium fiber for some reason) so I think the link is definitely possible.

I've been dealing with this problem for like 7-8 years now. After I added veggies and fruits into my diet, my constipation problem got kind of better, but it's not completely gone. I still feel constipated 1-2 days a week.

As for its link to acne breakouts is obviously true. I get PMT breakouts tho.

I've been dealing with this problem for like 7-8 years now. After I added veggies and fruits into my diet, my constipation problem got kind of better, but it's not completely gone. I still feel constipated 1-2 days a week.

As for its link to acne breakouts is obviously true. I get PMT breakouts tho.

It's good to know that your diet has already reduced the problem.

But what is the normal bowel movement frequency? Many people believe that the definition of a normal bowel movement is having 1 movement each day, but that is not true for everyone. There is no rule for frequency of bowel movements, but the general range is from 3 times a day to 3 times a week. Less than 3 movements a week may indicate constipation, and more than 3 watery stools a day could indicate diarrhea.