Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
juzzy23

Please helppp!!!

Hey, Ive been on accutane for 3 months im currently on 20mg a day and about to go up to 40mg, i have just been prescribed with minocycline to take with my accutane and i was just wondering if anyone else has done this and how did it go????

Thanks Heaps :)

Minocycline isn't a good choice because it increases the risk of side effects. Talk with your doctor and ask for something else, not a cycline.

are there any positives to taking these in combination because my doctor said it will help the severe acne on my back which hasnt got any better while on accutane, only my face has gotten better

There are no positives to taking a medication that generally shouldn't be taken while on Accutane. Taking the two together increases the risk for pseudotumor cerebri, a swelling of the brain. Now, your doctor may have decided that you're on a low enough dose of mino and on accutane to make it worthwhile, but please do talk to your doctor before taking them together.

Another antibiotic is a better choice, in my opinion. I'm just a nurse though. ;)

Realize also that you may be experiencing an initial breakout on your back, where the skin gets worse before it gets better. That happens a lot with Accutane due to the effects it has on tissue turnover, making the skin shed faster.