Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eva2202

Battling 'Adult acne' with roaccutane

Hi guys,

I am new to posting but after lurking around the site for months and months looking at tips and advice I think its time I got involved and get direct and contribute rather than just searching for answers.

I am a 28 year old female who had mild acne as a teenager and occasional cysts and breakouts since I went on Depo Provera, ten years ago and was prescribed antibiotics to keep them at bay which worked. However, last year I discussed with my GP about the long term effects of the jag and agreed to come off it last August. Big mistake. I was fine until about Feb this year and started to notice cluster of little white bumps all over my skin... I thought it was cosmetic acne and changed my make up and cleansing regime which did nothing. Then soon they gathered together to form cysts all over my chin. I went straight to my GP who recommended Dianette. Reluctantly I went on it despite all the scary posts on the internet and am now in my third month. I have experienced nothing positive about Dianette, it seemed to make my acne even worse and my chin is now covered in cysts (which never seem to heal properly, they come and go as they please and never heal, just swell and partially flatten and swell again) and those little white bumps (they are not whiteheads.... cant pop or squeeze anything from them). The little white bumps are the cause but despite forming a cyst when the cyst goes down.... the pesky little bumps are still there. Anyone have any idea what they are or how to combat them?

Finally having enough I asked my GP to refer me to a private dermatologist. Its expensive and scary but he has recommended Roaccutane. I have decided to go for it in spite of all the scary side effects. I am mostly worried about the initial breakout as I am already very aware that my skin is a mess. Thankfully it is isolated on my chin, but with an IB I am terrified it will spread. My confidence is very low also as I have always been able to cover bumps and lumps but in this current state I can't so I feel I can't look people in the eye or even go out in daylight. It sucks when you work with the public and you feel everyone is staring at the GREAT BIG lumps on your face...So long story short, just got an email from my dermatologist who has said blood tests and pregnancy test this week and off we go... Gotta say I am petrified. My confidence is bad enough at the moment so not sure what an IB will do for my emotional state!!! Fingers crossed I can avoid it but judging by some the posts it's horrific.

I am praying that Roaccutane works and the side effects don't cause me anymore emotional stress. Anyone on Roaccutane in the early stages reporting quick and positive effects? All I seem to come across is initial breakout posts and am terrified.

I just hope I am doing the right thing. Its clear Dianette isn't working and the Dermologist said Dianette normally clears teen acne and mine is clearly adult acne caused by hormonal fluctuations and Genetics (??????). Anyone have a similar experience or a story to share? Would be grateful to hear from you! Looking for a Roaccutane buddy at a similar stage to share stories and comparisons!!! A support group! lol....

Long story but thanks for reading!!!! Answers appreciated!

Eva

Well good for you. If your skin means that much to you then I'm glad your going on Accutane. Please don't worry about the IB. It is just a small hurdle you need to get through and then your on your way to clear skin.

As for the "ill" effects. People like to hype things up about Accutane. I'm not saying they don't happen. Just that they are over exaggerated to a degree.

So good luck whenever you decide to start!

Thanks Ian. I'm a bit short on optimism so reading your post and seeing how upbeat you are about treatment is inspiring. I just want it over and done with now... Seems silly doesn't it? I'm going to be on 30mg for the first month (doctor says it'll minimise the breakout) and then 60mg for 3 months so hopefully I'll be clear by Christmas fingers crossed.

I'll keep an eye on your posts as I think I'll need all the support and knowledge possible. Its comforting to know your treatment is going well!

Keep up the optimism!

Eva

Thanks Ian. I'm a bit short on optimism so reading your post and seeing how upbeat you are about treatment is inspiring. I just want it over and done with now... Seems silly doesn't it? I'm going to be on 30mg for the first month (doctor says it'll minimise the breakout) and then 60mg for 3 months so hopefully I'll be clear by Christmas fingers crossed.

I'll keep an eye on your posts as I think I'll need all the support and knowledge possible. Its comforting to know your treatment is going well!

Keep up the optimism!

Eva

Haha. It's not silly. We all want the same thing! When your lips start to get dry use Vaseline. It is a little tip I learned from someone on these forums. Also put it on before you go to bed so you won't wake up with chapped lips.

Hi! Congradulations on starting accutane. If it makes you feel any better, I am on day 19 and have yet to have an IB. I still get zits but nothing like I did before. My skin already looks soooooooo much better. Feel free to check my log out. My before accutane pictures compared to my two weeks after are pretty amazing.

You can do this! We are all here to support each other. ;)

Thanks so much for all your support, it means a lot to know that there are other people out there rooting for me to succeed. I have a bit of a dilemma and really need some good advice. My derm called today and he would like me to go in and get my prescription for Roaccutane tomorrow.

I think everyone knows by now I'm nervous about the treatment and its effects but the silly thing is my skin is starting to clear a bit so I'm wondering have I jumped the gun?? I've been on Dianette for 3 months and am on my 7 day break at present and am wondering maybe I haven't given Dianette enough of a chance?

Should I ignore this and go ahead with Roaccutane or give Dianette another couple of weeks? Anyone been on Dianette and had a similar experience?? I broke out bad.... on Dianette and my confidence has really suffered.

I just don't want to make the wrong decision as getting Roaccutane is actually a chore and so expensive.... I feel like if I don't go tomorrow I may regret it down the line if I break out again on Dianette and have to go through all the hassle of tracking down my doctor and waiting for blood tests and pregnancy tests.

Its a catch 22. Any advice appreciated!

Eva

Hi! Congradulations on starting accutane. If it makes you feel any better, I am on day 19 and have yet to have an IB. I still get zits but nothing like I did before. My skin already looks soooooooo much better. Feel free to check my log out. My before accutane pictures compared to my two weeks after are pretty amazing.

You can do this! We are all here to support each other. ;)

Again

Thanks for the support. I am really in need of someone telling me it'll be ok. 4 months is such a short period of time but its a long.... time also. I wish I could just not give a shit and get through it.... guess I'm not as strong as I thought.. Funny how things like acne can have such a major effect on your confidence. I think what makes it worse is everyone in my life doesn't understand... its always, get over it... or it'll pass.... nobody truly gets it as they don't suffer from it.

Anyhow not to bum you out... I was looking for your log and pictures... can't seem to find it... will you link it???

Thanks!!!!

Your having that last minute decision dilemma! I have had it too but with a different situation. I was switching roommates (retarded roommate) in University. Last day I was like this guy isn't too bad (even though he was) and was regretting switching rooms. I switched anyways and it was the best choice I had made that year. My new roommate ended up being an awesome guy!

So you kind of get what I'm saying? I think your in a similar situation.

Edited by Polyspast

I agree with POLYSPAST. Going on accutane is a very difficult situation and one that only you can decide on. Unfortunately, no one else can make it for you. I think that in your heart you know what you should do. Believe it or not, I was having a hard time making the decision to go on accutane and I have already been on it twice. The sacrifices (side effects and such) that you make are quite minimal with the results accutane brings you.

I am not that talented with computers and I so can't figure out how to link you to my log. Sorry. :( Go to accutane logs forum and it is the one titled, "Starting accutane a 3rd time." Or, just click on my name and you then can go to my topics to find it. I have two titled the same thing, (I had put it in the wrong forum, so I moved it) so make sure it's the one with 4 pages and your good to go. Let me know if you figures it out. I should be posting my 3 week progress pictures this Thursday. My before, 1 & 2 week pictures are on there.

Thank you Polyspast and Again!

Honestly coming on here and reading your posts helps a lot. Your support is invaluable. I think I am just getting cold feet. I range from being fed up and resolving that's it to maybe I'm jumping the gun and haven't thought it through enough.

Tomorrow is D day and I have decided to go ahead to the hospital and get the tests and prescription. I won't lie, I'm terrified!

I think my biggest worry is that it won't work or it'll get so bad in the initial stages I won't be able to handle it as Dianette was sold to me as a miracle cure but aside from making my acne worse it's had little effect. I just hope the results in 4 months will have me kicking myself I didn't do it earlier but having you two support me is making the decision a lot easier.

Funny how some little pills can cause so much anxiety. Ok well will get back to you all tomorrow after the dreaded trip to the hospital. In the meantime I hope both of you are having good results. I can't believe how strong you two are. I feel like a child again... I'm 28, regressing to my teens insecurity over a few (ok more than a few) spots. Lol.

Eva

Edited by Eva2202

Ok guys made the dreaded trip to the hospital and had all my tests. The nurse was a complete butcher and it stings BAD where she drew blood! No pills till tomorrow till my results come back. Part of me is relieved! Gives me time to think and ask questions! The whole thing is giving me bad anxiety, barely slept last night worrying...

Ok I'm relying on you guys for some answers please. I just looked up roaccutane pictures and was SHOCKED at the level of dryness on skin. I cannot do without make up or I won't go outdoors (very vain I know!) so does anyone use make up on roaccutane, is the dryness manageable to cover up? My make up skills are quite good but judging by the pictures I saw... I'm scared!!! I bought Eucerin Facial Moisturiser today in preparation, good choice? Has anyone cracked the dry skin dilemma so it is minimal??? If so what products are you using??

This is a stupid question!!! But I was wondering I get these cyst like spots and generally they go down and come back up in the same spot unless a white tip appears and I pop it (I know... BAD!) so assuming I dont poke at them... what happens on roaccutane?? Do they come out and dry up and disappear or do they generally develop a white tip and explode on their own? Anyone sympathise with me??? Also hyperpigmentation is a big problem for me once the swelling has gone down... its often worse than the spot... does the shedding of skin help a little???

I dont know if looking at pictures is a good idea or not anymore as mostly the pictures are encouraging but occasionally I come across a picture and I think...wtf!!! I saw a pic of a girl who had cleared prior to roaccutane and 3 weeks later her WHOLE face was covered in pimples!!! Freaked me bad.... I'm having a good day with a tonne of make up on today so scared!!!

Sorry for being so bloody whiny... I just want to be prepared as I'm already a little bit unhinged about the whole thing. Funny how the good is overlooked so easily but one or two bad experiences I'm reading about has caused me to wonder if I can manage through the initial stages....

As you can see my self esteem and confidence is very fragile so I apologise if I come across as a pain guys!!

Thanks in advance.

Eva xxx

Don't worry about the dryness. Yes, it sucks and is annoying, not to mention a lot of work. Moisturize every night and morning. At night time, I even mix oil in with my body body which helps a lot. I put jojoba oil, vitamin e oil or almond oil on my face at night. I still have issues with my dry skin on my face, but it is doable. I also use a primer. It really makes a world of difference. There is going to be those embarrassing moments during the day (like today for me) where you look in the mirror and notice chunks of skin literally falling off your face. Ugh! It's all worth it in the end. And yes, accutane will help get rid of the red marks at a faster rate.

Again, don't worry about the IB. I know that this sucks to hear, but if it happens it happens. I am at 3 weeks and I have yet to have an IB. Maybe you will, maybe you wont. Just, remember that it's the end results that matter.

Don't worry about the dryness. Yes, it sucks and is annoying, not to mention a lot of work. Moisturize every night and morning. At night time, I even mix oil in with my body body which helps a lot. I put jojoba oil, vitamin e oil or almond oil on my face at night. I still have issues with my dry skin on my face, but it is doable. I also use a primer. It really makes a world of difference. There is going to be those embarrassing moments during the day (like today for me) where you look in the mirror and notice chunks of skin literally falling off your face. Ugh! It's all worth it in the end. And yes, accutane will help get rid of the red marks at a faster rate.

Again, don't worry about the IB. I know that this sucks to hear, but if it happens it happens. I am at 3 weeks and I have yet to have an IB. Maybe you will, maybe you wont. Just, remember that it's the end results that matter.

Thanks Again!

I am really stressed about the whole thing and slightly obsessed by the whole thing now but I have just realised I need to take one day at a time. I keep thinking about how I'm going to manage 4 months of this but then realised I need to take one day at a time. I think my anxiety stems from the fact my skin was clearing but today I woke up with 2 new sore ones and I've realised I need to get my act together and stop being ruled by the fear. Whatever will be will be. 4 months of pain to be free of this for life. I am just praying it will work as some people have been pretty negative but I guess for those who have a great experience and no side effects dont feel the need for the support and just don't update. They go out and live their lives. Its helps to know though when I am being a lunatic, there will be people who understand.

I was reading your log and I don't know if it is because you've been through this before, you seem very steady and confident and I admire that. I wish I had more confidence in the process. Its looking good!!

Ok well phoned the pharmacy today and no pills, they have to order them so tomorrow is day one but bloods and other tests came back ok. Here is to the rollercoaster that is Roaccutane and facing it head on.

Eva xxx

Okay so hahaha, I just posted on your new log. I'm not sure if you are checking this one anymore or not.

That's nice that I come across confident, but don't be fooled by me. I mean, I am a very confident person by nature, but acne has really ruined me to a degree. I knew it was time to go on accutane when I was canceling events, not going to the gym and crying on a daily basis. I'm being very honest with you, because I feel that it's important for people to know that what they feel is normal and that there not alone. I'm a pretty real and open person. Feel free to ask me any questions. ;) I would say that having been on accutane before helps because I am prepared (to a certain extent) for the side effects and I know that the acne will go away in the end. I just am nervous about scars at this point, as you know. :doubt:

The IB sucks but it doesn't last that long and a week or two of bad acne isn't so bad if you know that it's in exchange for CLEAR skin. I put off getting on accutane for so long because I was afraid of the side effects and would say ok I'm gonna do it, then I would read stuff and talk myself out of it. I'm now finishing up month 2 and I wish I had done it sooner! Sure, it's annoying being the chaptick-crack addict, but I would say the side effects are just that - annoying. But I will take 6 months of annoying if it means I don't have to deal with acne anymore. And also just remember, YOU think everyone is staring at you (I know, I feel the same way), but really the truth is no one else notices or cares that much. I mean, think about yourself when you're out, are you going around looking at everyone's face and judging their acne? Trust me, I know how you feel but the reality is that it's way more noticeable to us than it is to anyone else.

The IB sucks but it doesn't last that long and a week or two of bad acne isn't so bad if you know that it's in exchange for CLEAR skin. I put off getting on accutane for so long because I was afraid of the side effects and would say ok I'm gonna do it, then I would read stuff and talk myself out of it. I'm now finishing up month 2 and I wish I had done it sooner! Sure, it's annoying being the chaptick-crack addict, but I would say the side effects are just that - annoying. But I will take 6 months of annoying if it means I don't have to deal with acne anymore. And also just remember, YOU think everyone is staring at you (I know, I feel the same way), but really the truth is no one else notices or cares that much. I mean, think about yourself when you're out, are you going around looking at everyone's face and judging their acne? Trust me, I know how you feel but the reality is that it's way more noticeable to us than it is to anyone else.

I hope you're right, I've developed a nervous habit of covering my chin with my hands and picking at my lips to distract people. Sad but true. Ok day one down. I've posted in my log if you're interested in reading. Thanks for the support, its good to know that other people are having good results and being positive down the line. I hope my IB is mild or non existent! Doesn't everybody? :D

I will follow your progress... your experience will help others!!!!!!!!!!

Eves