Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have had acne since i was 11 and now im nearly 20 years old and now its spread to my neck. I get cysts on my neck and sometimes swollen lumps on my face when its really bad. I have tried everything and although my face has gotten a bit better my neck acne is just getting worse and really upsets me. I have been on anti biotics for 7 months and they help a bit but my skin is stil bad and makes me extremely upset and stressed all of the time. Any suggestions?

I have a bit of a problem with neck acne recently. (I suffer from cystic acne and usually it's just on my face and a little bit on my back). I ended up picking at small bumps on my neck under my jawline with my dirty fingers so aggressively that it turned cystic which I picked at some more and then I got a gumball sized boil on my neck plus some little red bumps. I was very self conscious (The boil did rupture and go down on its own thankfully). I was seriously considering getting a few cheap turtlenecks to help me through any rough days with neck acne.

I'm not sure what you have all tried. I think a combination approach works best. Sometimes, one thing alone isn't enough to combat acne even though it might make some improvement. Perhaps some sort of topical for your neck would help like benzoyl peroxide or a retinoid or some sort of benzoyl peroxide/topical antibiotic/retinoid combo? If you haven't already, you could try an elimination diet with low glycemic foods, no dairy, etc. for awhile to see if that helps. Keep track of what you do and when it improves/worsens. You're female right? Do you think it's related to your menstrual cycle at all? Perhaps, supplements or birth control or spironolactone would help if you haven't already tried that. If you take probiotics or eat yogurt with probiotics in it, be sure to take that at a completely different time than you take the antibiotics.

I know acne is traumatic. Know that you are not alone in your suffering. You're still fairly young even though you've had to deal with this a really long time. Some people grow out of acne around 20-25 years old. So, keep trying and one day this acne nightmare may be behind you whether it's because of successful treatment or because you grew out of it.

If I were you, I'd talk to your derm about accutane. If it's spread to your neck and its getting worse, it might spread to your shoulders at some point, but if you do something now then you'll be better off in the end. Really.

If I were you, I'd talk to your derm about accutane. If it's spread to your neck and its getting worse, it might spread to your shoulders at some point, but if you do something now then you'll be better off in the end. Really.

I'm really not a fan of accutane but I have to agree with captainawesome.

I was on a couple of rounds of accutane and it was very effective at clearing my neck cysts. The only problem was that in my case my cystic acne returned after several years.

I have tried all the creams and antibiotics but nothing seemed to work and now I have recently started accutane along with enrythromycin. I have just started my 3rd month and so far it has been helping I still get horrible acne but my friend went on it and hers didn't clear till the last month and hers was alot worse then mine. Just trying to stay positive I have a long way to go yet but I know it will help in the end. So fingers crossed! I hope if mine does go and that it wont return but Im just going to take one day at time. thanks everyone.