Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

day 59

im kinda sad to make this post cause i thought i could bypass side effects of this medication on such a low dose but apparently that is not the case. i am sad to report that i have a yeast infection.i have nevvvverrr had any type of problems in that area until on spiro and iv been on a million antibiotics and take probiotics and eat greek yogurt like nobodys bussiness but alas it is true :( sorry if this is too much info for anyone but im just trying to be completely honest so that someone eles with these side effects wont freak out like i did and just realize its from the spiro lol i was convinced i was disease ridden for like a week cause this kinda shizz never happens to be and it just looked like a patchy rash in that 'area' but it wasnt going away so now i have to schedule an appointment or just go buy some topical stuff to take care of it. blehhhh.

an update on my face although i still breakout a little here and there i havent got any cysts since starting spiro which i reallllyyyy was hoping for since those are the ones that leave scars which suck.

and i would just like to say that if u have mild scarring a retinoid is ur best friend it literally smoothed out my scarring on my face.like seriously its gone after consistent use i was amazed lol i use tretinotin.

yeah its super annoying and yes im gonna stick with it cause besides that i really like it so far. im hoping the yeast infection is just temporary and by body just adjusting to the medication cause iv seen the most side effects of spiro during these laast couple of weeks like the dryness and all that so hopefullllyyyyy i wont get them anymore this is my first yeast infection and im not the happiest camper right not -_- lol

I remember when I had one I had to WALK to the pharmacy... I looked like a duck. It was soo uncomfortable. But I've noticed that the side effects do become less as time progresses.

day 70

still on 25 mgs twice a day once at night once in the morning.

its currently 4 days before my period and i didnt have the "week and a half before my t.o.m." breakout at all which i was super excited about.like the first month i was on it i broke out a little on the week in a half before my period all the way till my period was over.then the second month i broke out on that week too but not during my period at all and now i guess im just not gonna breakout on my period cause i passed the week n a half mark and nothing happened.yesssss

there are no signifigant bumps on my face it looks super smooth. my skin is realllyyyyy dry though,like my whole body is like even my hands are dry and a little flakey so i hope that dies down but otherwise very happy :)

day 81

iv almost been on this 3 months and iv never responded to something so well in terms of acne. i basically have no zits on my face and i got through my period with only a few little zits that werent even noticeable with makeup on. it is such a relief to not have cystic acne anymore i feel like this has been my lifesaver and i havent even seen "full results" yet which is supposedly is supposed to be around month 4.

very happy with spiro :) i even read an article in my womens health magazine that said women with hormonal acne might wanna try spirolactone. so maybe its getting more popular i definatly reccomend ppl with hormonal acne to give this a shot, iv dealt with hormonal acne for too many years and now im finally not worrying about my face so much and how i put it 'eating like a normal person' ha hah my diet hasnt effected my face while on this and i can finally indulge in a cheeseburger without worrying about having a big cystic pimple the next day

daily: 25 mgs of spiro twice a day, tretinotin at night, probiotics and zince and fish oil capsule

id say 150s a little high but it really depends on your body weight and stuff. im abnormally tiny for my age lol so my derm put me on such a low dose,but i was really determined to be patient with spiro cause its hormonal and its results take as long as a birthcontrol. after being on this for a while im gonna try to wean down to 25 mgs but not for a longggggg while ha ha like maybe a year or so iv'e heard of people having success by doing that

day 90

wooooooo, finally hit the third month mark. im noticing each month signifigantly less breakouts and when i do get a few pimples from a breakout its nothing cystic (thank god lol) as its starting to get colder iv noticed my skins super dry especially my lips i hate when my lips are chapped and at times my chapped lips have been worse than on accutane. iv been drinking a ton more water though which is especially good for acne and my chapped lips, im also weening myself off of chapstick which iv always applied obsessively,but that also contributes to the problem cause then your lips dont know how to regulate the mositure :/ so basically no chapstick and more water as of now ha hah

day 97

so a litttllee bit over 3 months and i feel really good about using spiro to treat my hormonal acne. I dont get big horrible cystic acne anymore so i know this is helping alot. Right now i have 3 small pimples that pretty much sprung up overnight but im not suprised becuase its my prime time for breakouts aka a week before my period. just as a side note anytime i refer to pimples popping up im refering to the bottom part of my face like below my lip line which is why i know i have hormonal acne.other than that i pretty much have no other active pimples on my face. Its really nice to wash my face and not feel a big hard sore bump underneath(which of course would leave scarring). side effects of spiro that im noticing is definatly the dryness, iv mentioned that a couple times but as its getting into winter some times ill just wake up in the morning and my mouth will feel parched. its kinda annoying but i drink like 4 water bottles everyday anyway so that always helps.

oh yeah another thing is i cant tell if dairy effects my skin as much as i think it does, idk im really confused about it cause some days ill have lots of dairy and somedays nada so i really gotta track if its making me breakout at all cause i had issues with an intolerence to it when i was little and my dads lacktose intolernt so welllll see lol

Edited by poppinpoprocks

day 100

im a little irritated cause its days before my period and of course i was expecting kind of a breakout but i wasnt expecting as many pimples as im getting :/ there not huge and immediatly turn into white heads,just for some reason iv accumulated twice as many as i usually do before my period which is pretty frustrating since im at the end of my 3rd month :(

has anyone experienced a weird breakout at this time on spiro like around the end of the 3rd month??

im trying to be really patient on waiting till the 4 month on 50 mgs to see what happens and especially since im 100 pounds but im starting to think 75 mgs might be my magic number lol i just have to try and think 'patttiiiennnnccceeeee' ha hah ,thats been my motto throughout this whole process although its definatly annoying at times :P

Hey there - lemme start off by saying I'm not on Spiro, but I am on Diane, which supposedly is somewhat similar to Spiro in terms of hormonal therapy.

Anyways, I feel like I just went through exactly what you're talking about! I just finished my third month of Diane, and experienced a pretty big breakout on my period, which was weird and not normal for me - (usually I break out the week BEFORE my period, and clear up the week OF) this made me super frustrated and I am just now clearing up from it...but I feel like you may be going through the same thing! And about the patience - i TOTALLY feel you on that one too. I am still waiting to see full effects from the Diane, I feel like it has just recently started working - but I am still no where near clear yet :/ I am hoping month 4 brings lots of improvements, and I REALLY hope I am completely clear by the end of this month. But like you said, patience is key...it's so hard though!! eusa_wall.gif I wish you the best and hope that the Spiro is working wonderfully for you, that may be my next step if Diane doesn't work for me!

right?!! i get very impatient especially when it comes to my skin, i almossttttttt wanna go in on my next derm appointment and ask her to go up to 75,but i watched this video on youtube of this girl who was on it for a year on a 50-75 dose and she had servere acne and now her face is basically crystal clear, she didnt stop 'really' breaking out until like the 5th/6th month and then her skin looked great after that, so thats why i have refrained from upping my dosage, and i kinda wanna prove to other ppl that they can get clear on a low dose too if they can wait it out :) i hope diane works really well for you and if not i would reccomend goin on spiro i get 0 cysts anymore and at certain times or weeks of the month my face is clear, but yeah ill check ur posts during the 4th month cause really hope it works out for you im going into my 4th month too!! :)

day 126

so i actually went back and counted how many days iv been on this and apparently im a little into my 4th month. its been almost a full 7 days since the end of my period and i have one active pimple and three that are dying down. ive been tracking what days i breakout on a paper calender and realize i have 2 weeks of clear skin in the middle of the month and 2 weeks of a mild breakout the week of my period and week after usually or its the week before anyyywayyysss everywhere else but my jawline is clear like its almost completly smooth even though iv been seeing results and dont get cystic acne anymore im hoping to really see a breakthrough from this point up until the 6th month. im still only on 25 mgs twice a day so the progression is very slow as compared to someone on 100 mgs, if i really wanted to i could go to the derm and ask to up my dosage and probably be totally clear a lot sooner,but i want to be on it for 1+ yrs so im gonna wait it out at least until the 6th month on 50mgs.

love to hear from anyone else who is on this too :)

i really believe in face reading to determine acne just to show an ex of where my acne is the purple area that says ovaries is my only problem area for acne the rest of my face is pretty much clear most of the time. coincidence? i think not lol

e face-reading.gif

my problem areas are along my cheek bones..so i guess the cheeks. so what problems do my lungs have then?? i don't have any breathing problems or anything like that.

it's weird that ever since i started bc last year, my forehead has totally cleared up 100%. but i still have a few little spots on my chin. hmmmm. i would have thought the bc would have cleared up my chin instead my forehead

if your problem areas are more along your cheek bones closer to your jaw of face line rather then th middle of your cheeks thats probably hormonal.

and yeah birthcontrol helped clear up my face alot including forehead cheek area and helped with chine and jawline but never completely got that area under control.

day 130

my jawline does not look very pleasent right now i had a crop of like 15 really small pimples practically pop up in 2 days over thanksgiving. Almost all of them are small whiteheads except like three which are actual pimples but all of them look bright red :/ i'm almost positive that this is due to chocolate i always forget how much i breakout after eating choclate until it gets to the point where i literally wake up with ten whiteheads overnight. and the past three days iv had a bunch of hot coco, chocolate fudge,chocolate candys,you name it lol. i never breakout this bad anymore and the last time i had this much chocolate was during easter and the same thing happened only those whiteheads were cysts.luckily i think the spiro is helping to keep it to only superficial pimples because all of these will be gone within days thank god lol

i wanted to make a list of things i noticed on spiro unrealted to acne so here it is:

1.very drying especially in month 3 my hands very kinda scaly and now my lips get chapped super easily as well as having a dry throat.

2.u can be much more prone to yeast/fungal infections. I got a jock itch rash that lasted for a couple weeks then went aways it just looked like a patch of red raised or puffy skin.

3.got rid of my headaches!!! i used to get them pretty bad around my period or when i was stressed and now i Never get them.(although this effect can be oppisite for some ppl)

4. this might be tmi(for ladies only to read if they want too lol) but my discharge looks much whiter on a daily basis not just around certain times of the month.

Edited by poppinpoprocks

day 133

just wanted to update to say my predictions were correct,as soon as i stopped eating choclate i seriously had no new pimples pop up,like it went from 10 overnight to 0 lol so now my skin is back to normal and i have no real active pimples. i don't know if i have a sensitivity to chocolate or sugar after that little incident,because anytime i want somethin sweet i eat chocolate soooooooo idk im just glad my face is smooth agian lol

day 138

....iv'e decided to make a derm appointment around the end of december and up my dose to 75mg from 50mg.i realyyyyy wanted to wait it out,but its like my skin is teasing me with clear skin one week mild breakout the next,clear skin another week then another breakout etc etc.i would wait if my skin wasnt so sensitive to hyperpigmentation but EVERY little pimple leaves a mark so even with a completly clear face my skin can still look really red at least for a few weeks or to a couple months. My ultimate goal is to not wear makeup and feel totally fine about it and i feel like i 'deserve' lol to go up to 75 after waiting for almost 5 months.

if anyone saw good results on 50 mg after 5,6, or how ever many months feel free to chime in so ill be convinced to wait lol

day 138

....iv'e decided to make a derm appointment around the end of december and up my dose to 75mg from 50mg.i realyyyyy wanted to wait it out,but its like my skin is teasing me with clear skin one week mild breakout the next,clear skin another week then another breakout etc etc.i would wait if my skin wasnt so sensitive to hyperpigmentation but EVERY little pimple leaves a mark so even with a completly clear face my skin can still look really red at least for a few weeks or to a couple months. My ultimate goal is to not wear makeup and feel totally fine about it and i feel like i 'deserve' lol to go up to 75 after waiting for almost 5 months.

if anyone saw good results on 50 mg after 5,6, or how ever many months feel free to chime in so ill be convinced to wait lol

dont wait...why would you wait to get clearer skin? i was taking 50mg just fine, no side effects but felt like you...one week clear, another one with a few spots and still a little bumpiness on my forehead. i saw my derm yesterday who i really like, and she was like...well i put you on a baby dose...some people dont see it really clear until they get into the higher numbers...100, 150 even 200. she said its all about a "magic number" with everyone, and it takes a little bit of time to find it.

that being said, if you dont see 75mg working in 2 months, up it to 100mg, or 150mg. thats exactly what your derm would say. dont wait when you can do something about it! good luck!!

ha hah thanks:) and seriouussssllyy lol its agonzing thinking oh hey im clear! and believing maybe ur 'done' breaking out then next week its an entire turn around lol but yeah i already made an appointment and im just gonna ask for 75 for now im only 100 pounds so i feel kinda iffy about going higher than that i actually asked my mom about our family history since i take after her side alot and she said shes had ovarian cysts before and my aunt who had really bad acne and some facial hair had endomeitriosis! sooo at least this makes me think im on to something about having hormonal acne i cant really think of anything else on why it would be so persistent

i totally understand. its good you talked to your mom though, getting an understanding of your family history can really help shed some light on your current situation. you may want to get checked for all that stuff too or get your hormone levels tested if you are really curious. i havent, but if i had time, i probably would.

if your skin is reddish and tends to flush like mine, i recommend a sulfur face wash or mask. Proactiv's sulfur mask is fantastic...and you dont need an Rx! hope the 75mg work for you.

ha hah thanks:) and seriouussssllyy lol its agonzing thinking oh hey im clear! and believing maybe ur 'done' breaking out then next week its an entire turn around lol but yeah i already made an appointment and im just gonna ask for 75 for now im only 100 pounds so i feel kinda iffy about going higher than that i actually asked my mom about our family history since i take after her side alot and she said shes had ovarian cysts before and my aunt who had really bad acne and some facial hair had endomeitriosis! sooo at least this makes me think im on to something about having hormonal acne i cant really think of anything else on why it would be so persistent

I started on 50 mg, once a day, until I went a saw a derm, who bumped me up to 50 mg twice a day. Im 109 lbs, 5'3''. The derm. didnt even take my weight....