Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uglies

aspirin peels, mandelic acid, rosehip oil

I plan to embark regular (say 2x weekly) aspirin peels, but as aspirin is a form of salicylic acid (a BHA) and mandelic acid is an AHA I was wondering if using them in the same time period would produce contraindications?

It should also be noted that until last week I was using Retin A bi-nightly and I have additonally been using rosehip oil (which contains vitamin A) on my acne scars for about two weeks (no result except blocked comedones, blotchiness, hypertrophic scars, and small vitiligo patches..HOWEVER these could equally be due to other factors). Not sure if I should give it a rest or continue.

Basically my questions are thus:

1. is it safe to use mandelic acid in conjunction with aspirin peels? Obviously not literally in conjuntion but doing say 1-2 aspirin peels per week whilst you are applying mandelic acid after every facial cleanse?

2. is it safe to apply mandelic acid immediately after doing an aspirin peel (i.e. after doing the peel, washing the substance off your skin, then patting dry your face)?

3. would it be safe to continue using the rosehip oil in intermittent periods (say, bi nightly on damp skin after cleansing) whilst using the other two products in the same timeframe?

If you can help, thanks in advance!

Yes, I believe it is safe to continue with your other treatments while doing aspirin masks. Aspirin masks are very gentle- only a small amount of salicylic acid is actually produced and delivered to the skin using these masks. It's fine to combine AHA and BHA in any case.

Yes, I believe it is safe to continue with your other treatments while doing aspirin masks. Aspirin masks are very gentle- only a small amount of salicylic acid is actually produced and delivered to the skin using these masks. It's fine to combine AHA and BHA in any case.

Thank you Reeja!