Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was talking to a old friend today and the subject of high school senior prom came up. I told him that I skipped the prom because of the terrible acne I had at that time (which was about 12 years ago). I was just curious if anyone else here didn't go to their school proms.

Edited by jjn

i had to since my date had already bought the tickets :wall: but i was having an initial breakout from accutane i wanted nothing more then to stay home :boohoo:

I went to my junior prom, but I didn't go to my senior prom. It wasn't because of acne, though. I didn't go because I simply didn't feel like it. People were shocked to find out that I wasn't going. I don't regret not going. I don't think you should miss out on it because of your skin.

Edited by Sima

Never went to any prom. Didn't see the point, I hate dresses and I hated mostly everyone in high school -- didn't want to see them having fun! haha

I went to both my proms. My junior year I went alone, and I looked amazing (skin wise). I love looking back at those pictures. But my senior year i went with my boyfriend and were taking pictures (his mom is a photographer). I caked on so much make up, I wanted to stay home and cry. I was breaking out so bad... I wish I took a mask or something to cover up the ugly. When I got home and looked at myself I looked like a sweaty mess. My make up came off and all i could see were those huge ugly white heads......

I don't have any photos from my senior prom on display in my room. My graduation pictures were the same thing. I photoshopped all my graduation pictures before printing them.

Acne does some disgusting things to people.

I really very nearly didn't go. I was having a bit of a break out and the hairdresser had completely messed my hair up (I cringe just thinking about it) and I felt crappy and yeah - I was pretty much wanting to hide away in my bedroom by this point. My boyfriend also wasn't going which made me want to skip it even more. I did eventually though because I had five friends pretty much force me out of that house and into the limo, lol. ;p I hated them for about ten minutes and then the rest of the night was smiles and laughs sooo I'm glad I did go in the end. The past me was a lot more confident than the me now - I have no doubts that if that were happening now, there would be no way I would go.

I remember there were a couple of events when the final school year ended and another when we finished our exams. I didn't go to any of them because I just wanted to get out of that place. Hated it. Had I wanted to go, I guess I would have just stayed home and used my skin as an excuse.

That's a bad trap to fall into because it comes all too easy just to say, "I don't feel so good about my skin so I won't go". It's the easy option and doesn't actually make us feel better. I took that option so many times over the years although struggle to think of specific things I missed. It's as if I blocked them out of my mind because recalling all the stuff I missed would only bring me down.

I do tend to dwell on stuff, mainly wondering what things there are I might have missed out and what experiences I might have denied myself, but that's all hypothetical really...

Guest pokemonster

yup too

and many stuff like previously was said

I was homeschooled my last year of high school, I liked it cuz i got to stay home most of the time and actually learned somthing instead of having "school" get in the way of my education. I never went to any high school events for other reasons. I too just wanted to get high school over with, i didn't even want to go to my graduation.

even if I wanted to go to my prom I wouldnt have been able to. the administraction at the school outlawed people with bad enough acne from it. since I was the only kid with acne in my school, the other kids (and teachers) started making wanted signs of me. they said if I got near the school I would be hunted down, that I couldnt risk getting the "pure" kids infected with my disease. later that night, during all the after-prom parties, kids road by and threw toilet paper all over my house and trees. they threw all their cigarette buds and empty beer bottles all over my yard. I was so scared I had to hide under my bed the whole night. the thing is, I wasnt scared I would get jumped, I was only scared that more people would have to see my acne.

OMG! Is that really true!? oh no... I don't know what I'd ever do. Are you a m or f?

even if I wanted to go to my prom I wouldnt have been able to. the administraction at the school outlawed people with bad enough acne from it. since I was the only kid with acne in my school, the other kids (and teachers) started making wanted signs of me. they said if I got near the school I would be hunted down, that I couldnt risk getting the "pure" kids infected with my disease. later that night, during all the after-prom parties, kids road by and threw toilet paper all over my house and trees. they threw all their cigarette buds and empty beer bottles all over my yard. I was so scared I had to hide under my bed the whole night. the thing is, I wasnt scared I would get jumped, I was only scared that more people would have to see my acne.

OMG! Is that really true!? oh no... I don't know what I'd ever do. Are you a m or f?

yes it is true, its burned into my brain. I still have nightmares of it every night. I am a male

school banned people because of acne?

that's pretty low for the school... everyone banned from that prom has a case against the school for discrimination against social school organisations... i've seen cases actually brought before courts before on grounds of students being unlawfully kept out of school social events and the councils around the school / local governments are normally seriously harsh on the school over it.

M

that's pretty low for the school... everyone banned from that prom has a case against the school for discrimination against social school organisations... i've seen cases actually brought before courts before on grounds of students being unlawfully kept out of school social events and the councils around the school / local governments are normally seriously harsh on the school over it.

M

the thing is they made it seem like my acne was contagious and it was for health reasons I couldnt go. specifically they said "bad cases of acne" couldnt go. obvioulsy to me, and everyone else at the school, they were reffering to me since I was the only person in the school with "bad" acne

M

the thing is they made it seem like my acne was contagious and it was for health reasons I couldnt go. specifically they said "bad cases of acne" couldnt go. obvioulsy to me, and everyone else at the school, they were reffering to me since I was the only person in the school with "bad" acne

Woooww!! No offense but it seems unreal..

Wow! What? Really? This is the worst sh*t I have ever heard of in my life for an acne sufferer. I'm surprised no one in the school had the balls to stand up for you. I know I would've. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

M

I think so too, Menthos

Dexx