Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James Small

Improved acne mentally!?!?

Hi everyone, I originally posted this in the wrong section on the message boards. Oops.

I was just wondering whether the way in which you perceive your acne can actually change the amount you have? I ask this because I've recently gone through a transition with how I feel about my skin.

It all started a month ago when I began a strict holistic approach, which lasted for two weeks. In that time I saw a vast improvement in my acne; in fact in the second week I only had one or two pimples, which was the clearest I'd been in two weeks. Unfortunately, cravings got the better of me and I began to binge to make up for the time I would spent eating healthily.

Since then I have been eating a vast amount of rubbish food every day, such as cakes, chocolates, breads, and the occasional glass of milk. Understanding how unhealthy foods can cause acne, I knew this was bad. So, somewhere within the past week or so I began waiting. waiting for the pimples to come through, expecting one to show up randomly, followed by another and then another. But instead of having a massive out break of pimples, my acne has actually IMPROVED.

The only thing I can put this improvement down to, is the only thing I have changed within the past few weeks, and that is my perception of acne and how it makes me feel. For the first time in two years my acne doesn not bother me at all. I do not see acne as a barrier between myself and the world anymore. I dont care what people think about my skin or about me. I have stopped using my energy to hate acne, and since then I have seen an improvement.

In fact, thinking about it, my acne actually started when I began to care about how I looked and how others saw me. Two years ago I had my first pimples form on the day of my school leavers prom when I was (for the first time ever) obsessively nervous about how I looked. Acne then exploded onto the scene when I began college and was scared that if I did not act a certain way I would not fit in. This of course made me judge the way I portrayed myself.

I am not saying this is absolute proof that my acne is linked within me mentally, but I have noticed a connection there and to be honest I am slightly shocked.

Has anyone else noticed a similar connection?

Simple to explain. Because you stopped worrying about acne, your stress levels decreased! Stress causes acne. Worrying about acne generates stress :D.

Simple to explain. Because you stopped worrying about acne, your stress levels decreased! Stress causes acne. Worrying about acne generates stress :D.

So then if everyone tried to remove all stresses from their life acne would just disappear? Has that ever worked for you?

So then if everyone tried to remove all stresses from their life acne would just disappear? Has that ever worked for you?

It probably wont dissappear completely, but it will clear up just like it does to you.

Mental processes can greatly alter physical states. That has been proven for many different factors. The placebo effect is one of them. The problem is that it only works if you don't know that your taking a placebo, in other words you can't force yourself to believe something.

Yes, my acne cleared for good when I escaped the overly concious mindset I had. Live your life as if your acne wasn't present to the best of your ability. With time it becomes much easier.

For what it's worth, I do wish that this theme would receive more coverage around here. I know diet changes have and do clear people completely, but it only got me so far. I can't help but think that, in regards to diet, the people who reach a certain point and then seem to have their progress suddenly hindered are the people who may also very well be excessively concious of their skin. I certainly believe it to be mundane and worth evaluating.

Edited by neverforget