Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eastie

Is there any other way to clear severe acne than Accutane?

SO THE QUESTION IS: is severe acne only curable with Accutane?It seems that such things as diet change only helps to moderate acne sufferers.This questions is rather for people who did not get their acne out of the blue,perhaps because of bad diet but have been struggling with it since their puberty for years(as for me its been 12 years)

I used several things,topical and oral antibiotics,topical retinoids,even contraception pills and nothing worked significantly and for longer .I have been curing myself like that for 5 months now and I m starting to have enough because my face is already messy and the red dots(scars) will remain for years until they bleach with time. I just dont want to be completely unattracitve as I am single,recently broke up a long-term relationship.I dont date, I dont go to places where I would have to show my bare skin like swimming pools..I am mising a lto during this vacation

On the other hand I have a delicate liver and dont want to damage it with Accutane.Besides I would not be able to use contacts maybe even long after Accutane treatment what is said to happen..and I feel also very unattractive wearing my 1cm thick glasses.So there is no easy way.I would only use Accutane if I knew than nothing else would manage to clear really severe acne.

I have been on Accutane already and it helped me for two years.I wonder if the time of remission will be longer with the second treatment.

1. You are monitored for liver function during your course of accutane treatment.

2. I wore my contacts entirely through my treatment...no problem.

Your mileage may vary but it is not a done deal that accutane is going to somehow ruin your life...actually acne is ruining your life.

Joe Zit

Yes, there is. There are many holistic methods you could choose from, as well as safe medicinal options. The woman in this video had severe acne and she did not clear it with Accutane.

Are you a male or female?

female

diet change did nothing for me FYI

What about Spironolactone?

Here is a post that I found on an old regimen log from 2004. I will copy and paste it. I take no credit for the information provided here, but I already knew a lot of it to begin with. Does any of this pertain to you?:

This log is intended for treating hormonal acne in women.

If you experience the following list of symptoms (like me), you might find it helpful to read.

You're female.

You're menstual cycles are sometimes irregular.

Oily skin all day.

Skin drys and flakes with most acne treatments.

Blotchy and uneven complexion.

Red marks that do not go away.

Breakouts are more cystic than pimples.

Breakouts are primarily on the lower half of the face and jawline.

Breakouts are worse at certain times of the month.

Benzoyl peroxide hasn't cleared your skin.

Salicylic acid hasn't cleared your skin.

Retin A hasn't cleared your skin.

You've had problem skin for years (not weeks).

I have had acne "off and on" for over a decade. It's been a constant battle.

Here is what has not worked for me:

Antibiotics

Accutane

Retin A (Tretinoin)

Differin (Adapalene)

Benzaclin

Clydamycin lotion

Salicylic acid

Benzoyl peroxide

Birth control pills

(and several herbal and vitamin supplements)

I've now been on the following regimen for 8 weeks:

Spironolactone 50mg twice a day (100mg total).

Tazorac .05% Gel nightly (active ingredient, Tazorotene).

(I am also using a chinese herbal tincture, but I've only been using it for 1 week, so I don't know if it's having any effect yet).

Clinical studues show that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for Spironolactone to get into your system in a sufficient amount to act as an anti-androgen. I have only noticed a change in my acne in the past 2 weeks.

However, I have had some side-effects, which are:

Slight nausea when taken on an empty stomach.

Increase in breast size (hey, I'm not complaining about that!)

Weight loss of 5 lbs. (probably due to Spiro being a diuretic).

Going to the bathroom more often (another diuretic effect).

Sexual drive is lower (effect of some Testosterone being blocked).

1. You are monitored for liver function during your course of accutane treatment.

2. I wore my contacts entirely through my treatment...no problem.

Your mileage may vary but it is not a done deal that accutane is going to somehow ruin your life...actually acne is ruining your life.

Joe Zit

how much daily did u take of it?i get the impression that side effects increase with daily dosage,I took like once pill every two days to be able to stand this treatment(at first it was 1 pill of 40 mg daily then less).

Yes, there is. There are many holistic methods you could choose from, as well as safe medicinal options. The woman in this video had severe acne and she did not clear it with Accutane.

But you have yet had success using holistic methods, correct? You can preach all you want, but I see that you are trying a regimen and will keep us posted IF it works.

Accutane works.

To answer the questions I took a fairly low daily dose 40mg. I really don't know if increasing the dosage causes more side effects or not. I am confused, you have already tried accutane?

J.Z.

female

What about Spironolactone?

Here is a post that I found on an old regimen log from 2004. I will copy and paste it. I take no credit for the information provided here, but I already knew a lot of it to begin with. Does any of this pertain to you?:

This log is intended for treating hormonal acne in women.

If you experience the following list of symptoms (like me), you might find it helpful to read.

You're female.

You're menstual cycles are sometimes irregular.

Oily skin all day.

Skin drys and flakes with most acne treatments.

Blotchy and uneven complexion.

Red marks that do not go away.

Breakouts are more cystic than pimples.

Breakouts are primarily on the lower half of the face and jawline.

Breakouts are worse at certain times of the month.

Benzoyl peroxide hasn't cleared your skin.

Salicylic acid hasn't cleared your skin.

Retin A hasn't cleared your skin.

You've had problem skin for years (not weeks).

I have had acne "off and on" for over a decade. It's been a constant battle.

Here is what has not worked for me:

Antibiotics

Accutane

Retin A (Tretinoin)

Differin (Adapalene)

Benzaclin

Clydamycin lotion

Salicylic acid

Benzoyl peroxide

Birth control pills

(and several herbal and vitamin supplements)

I've now been on the following regimen for 8 weeks:

Spironolactone 50mg twice a day (100mg total).

Tazorac .05% Gel nightly (active ingredient, Tazorotene).

(I am also using a chinese herbal tincture, but I've only been using it for 1 week, so I don't know if it's having any effect yet).

Clinical studues show that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for Spironolactone to get into your system in a sufficient amount to act as an anti-androgen. I have only noticed a change in my acne in the past 2 weeks.

However, I have had some side-effects, which are:

Slight nausea when taken on an empty stomach.

Increase in breast size (hey, I'm not complaining about that!)

Weight loss of 5 lbs. (probably due to Spiro being a diuretic).

Going to the bathroom more often (another diuretic effect).

Sexual drive is lower (effect of some Testosterone being blocked).

I am taking Dianette which seems to have similar effect as Spiro (am I right?) and its been 3 months and I can see NO ,not even slight,effect. I dont know how more can I wait,my face is all covered in pimples and scars will remain for years

What does not seem true about me from these above:

-My face is the same bad in all days of the cycle,maybe just slightly worse before my period

-I have pimles all over my face but the most of it is on cheeks and jawline,so its not that I dont have pimples on my forehead because I do,also many.On my nose there are mostly blackheads that I try to clear so it doesnt break out

-Accutane DID WORK for me, it was better for 2 years but it did not clear me completely,there were little pimples sometimes after this treatment but it was never severe during these years

-skin does not flake and dry often,its constantly oily

-in the tests,my testosterone levels were within the norm

and can one even take this Spironolactone for many years ?is it safe? Because my acne would probably come back after treatment.

female

How long did you change your diet for? Change of diet is a lifetime commitment...acne wont disappear overnight from a diet change.

How old are you? As it is quite likely you are having a hormone change.

Only 4 months ago I had beautiful clear skin, the BAM one morning I woke up with acne! It's unfair and hard to accept!

I suggest you have a hormone test to check your levels are correct. Also be careful with your eating, avoid dairy...actually dont eat or drink anything that comes from a cow! So many un-natural things are injected into these animals and play haveoc with our hormones.

Vitamins. I am taking Vitamin A, C, Zinc & Milk Thistle. Drinks lots of green or peppermint tea.

Acupuncture and Chinese herbs are also very helpful.

I am strong believer that acne is caused by a bad digestive system and liver problems. You body fills up with so many toxins you liver cant handle it and therefore excretes them through your skin = acne.

Dont resort to accutane or any other artificial drug, all your doing is masking the symptom and not fixing the reason why you are getting acne. I took accutane for 1 year...skin was clear for 3 years after that, now I am back to square one with the same severity of acne again!

Goodluck!!!

female

How long did you change your diet for? Change of diet is a lifetime commitment...acne wont disappear overnight from a diet change.

How old are you? As it is quite likely you are having a hormone change.

Only 4 months ago I had beautiful clear skin, the BAM one morning I woke up with acne! It's unfair and hard to accept!

I suggest you have a hormone test to check your levels are correct. Also be careful with your eating, avoid dairy...actually dont eat or drink anything that comes from a cow! So many un-natural things are injected into these animals and play haveoc with our hormones.

Vitamins. I am taking Vitamin A, C, Zinc & Milk Thistle. Drinks lots of green or peppermint tea.

Acupuncture and Chinese herbs are also very helpful.

I am strong believer that acne is caused by a bad digestive system and liver problems. You body fills up with so many toxins you liver cant handle it and therefore excretes them through your skin = acne.

Dont resort to accutane or any other artificial drug, all your doing is masking the symptom and not fixing the reason why you are getting acne. I took accutane for 1 year...skin was clear for 3 years after that, now I am back to square one with the same severity of acne again!

Goodluck!!!

well I dont know any single person who cured acne only with diet.I eat healthy food and I dont see any break out after eating fast food what I did very rarely.Now i dont do this.

I dont feel like waiting for a year with a crappy face for the acne to disappear.I want to use my life when I am young.There is no proff that diet affects skin to such extent.There ay be minor skin break outs when u do not eat healithily but not cysts' attack.ALso this doesnt make sense because i dont eat crap.

Do you kniw ONE person who was cured with diet?

There are only those reasons for acne

-bacteria which may be more problematic for people with weak immune system(so eating healthily boosts immune system but doesnt prevent bacteria coming to your organism anyway)

- sebum extrection regulated by hormones or stres ( but I am naturally stresed and in the times of no-stress-taking vacation fo 2 months I had no improvement)

-sweating that is caused by heat or extreme stress-makes good environment for bacteria

-some other pboelms wth skin and removing of dead cells not connected with diet