Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi

I'm a makeup girl, but have never used primer, just go straight to liquid foundation after moisturising.

Does primer really make that much of a difference to how your skin/make up looks? I don't know if I should try one.

Which would be the best for minimising larger pores (available in UK please!). I've heard lots about the Makeup Forever brand, but it's not widely available in UK & seems pretty expensive here too.

I've just invested in a new Chanel foundation (Pro Lumiere - it's about to be discontinued) and I'm pretty pleased with it, but it's more 'dewy' than the one I usually use (Estee Lauder Double Wear) and doesn't seem to stay on as well, would primer make it last longer.

Also, what setting powder would you guys recommend.

Edited by UKLady

Hiya :)

I am in LOVE with primers, they even out the skin and definitely help foundation stay better. Whenever I dont use a primer I definitely notice the difference. It protects the skin from the foundation too :)

I use L'Oreal Studio Secrets Primer. It comes in a little glass pot and is really lovely and creamy. Ive tried other primers but always return to this one. A bit pricey, like fourteen pounds, but hey-surely its worth paying a tiny bit more for something you wear every day and makes you feel confident? :) I got mine from Boots/Superdrug-anywhere really :)

As for a setting powder, any translucent powder would work best as it isnt coloured. I go for loose powder rather than pressed as i feel like i can dab it on more gently and buff it with a kabuki brush to get even distribution. I love No.7's translucent powder. :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by please-let-it-work

Holy cow, do primers ever make a difference. Skin is smoother and foundation just applies like a dream. And yes, it does help foundation last longer, depending on the primer you use. I like to switch it up between (and they all work) Hard Candy Sheer Envy primer, Smash Box photo finish primer, and Monistat Anti Chafing Gel (which is exactly like the smashbox primer but only costs about $10)

For powder I always use Maybelline Dream Matte and Elf HD setting powder.

Yeah, initially I thought primers were just a ploy to make you buy more goop for your face, but they do make a difference during application.

Same here Fade....I previously used Smashbox Photo Finish (Oil free), but read on the Vogue forums that the Monistat Anti Chafing Gel was pretty much identical to it so now I use that. I feel that it also gives me much better coverage than the Smashbox primer!

I tried the whole Sephora store. Lol. After a year with no luck and many samples of primers , I ended up with

Clearprep FX Matte Foundation Primer and Anti-Acne Treatment.

/>http://www.sephora.com/clearprep-fx-matte-foundation-primer-anti-acne-treatment-P231606

I am interested in primers as well. I just worry about putting too much on my face. I know that my skin needs to breath in order to heal, but its so tempting to use! Especially when im going out and want to look as flawless as possible (hah who am i kidding....flawless?)

I don't often use a primer as I find it a bit of a faff, but when I do I use a smashbox one (I"m going to guess its the one already mentioned!) and when I dont use one all over I use benefits porefessional around my nose where my big pores are. It works wonders.

I wanted to share an amazing find for large pores..Benefit brand "Dr. Feelgood". It is a primer/smoother, but is the most amazing pore filler. Better than their actual advertised pore filler. Sells at Sephore or major department stores for $28. But worth every penny if you have large pores. I scrape some off with my nail and rub it in where needed.

Try it!

I've gotta agree that the Monistat Anti Chafing Gel is the best "primer" out there. It is so light, doesn't clog my pores, and my makeup stays on forever!! It's great to use as a primer on your eyelids for eyeshadow, too. It washes off nicely at the end of the day too. Also, it doesn't hurt that it costs $7.

I use W7 Prime Magic Camera Ready redness correcting primer. It's green and icky looking in the tube, but it goes on clear and really smoothes out the face (and doesn't cause me to break out). I bought mine off Ebay for £3.99 plus 80p for postage and packaging.

I've gotta agree that the Monistat Anti Chafing Gel is the best "primer" out there. It is so light, doesn't clog my pores, and my makeup stays on forever!! It's great to use as a primer on your eyelids for eyeshadow, too. It washes off nicely at the end of the day too. Also, it doesn't hurt that it costs $7.

I was trying to find it, but I believe they might have discontinued it..do you know anything?

I was trying to find it, but I believe they might have discontinued it..do you know anything?

Hmm...the one I'm using now I've had for a while, but I looked it up on Wal Mart's website and it says In Stock. I also Googled it to see if they discontinued it, but I didn't see anything. huh.png Maybe it's just the store you looked at? I know when I went to get it at Target they didn't have it. Wish I could be more help.

Hi

I'm a makeup girl, but have never used primer, just go straight to liquid foundation after moisturising.

Does primer really make that much of a difference to how your skin/make up looks? I don't know if I should try one.

Which would be the best for minimising larger pores (available in UK please!). I've heard lots about the Makeup Forever brand, but it's not widely available in UK & seems pretty expensive here too.

I've just invested in a new Chanel foundation (Pro Lumiere - it's about to be discontinued) and I'm pretty pleased with it, but it's more 'dewy' than the one I usually use (Estee Lauder Double Wear) and doesn't seem to stay on as well, would primer make it last longer.

Also, what setting powder would you guys recommend.

Thanks smile.gif

I like MAC's Prep + Prime (the version without SPF). Expensive but it spreads like a dream. I used Loreal Studio Secrets before that but it's just goopy compared to MAC.

Edited by Green Gables