Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am trying something new to clear up my acne, and I'm really excited and my skin's already so smooth and really clearing up.

However, this new thing has left my skin super dry--I tried to put on some mineral powder makeup I'm trying and I can't because my skin is just too dry and flaky.

I have combination skin and live in a really hot, humid place so before I never even needed a moisturizer unless I got a patch of dryness in the winter. I've been using my clinique acne solutions moisturizer that I always keep on hand, and while it's a great moisturizer that doesn't irritate or break me out, it's just not enough to deal with this dryness. School's soon and I don't want to be dealing with this.

I'm not going to stop the treatment, this is the first time in years of efforts that I've had skin this smooth and this, well, not clear but quite possibly getting there. So I need a really good, intense moisturizer for under-makeup--even with the dryness my old makeup gets shiny through the day, so I need a moisturizer that doesn't have oil, no grease, no shine, no interfering with the makeup--and inexpensive. One that I can buy at walmart or cvs, please. Here are some I've tried and the one's I've looked at, advice, experience, etc please and thank you!

Tried:

Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Solutions Oil-free: $17 : not willing to pay this much for my replacement, this isn't enough moisture

some walmart brand : cheap : for some people it works, I don't remember the name, but it's too greasy and gross feeling and irritating for my young skin.

Considering, Questioning?

Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream: about $9- some say it's so greasy, and while it's great for night cream and body moisture, it's horrible for daytime, especially under makeup, and shiny?

St. Ives Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer: about $6- again with greasy comments, great for night, is it good for under makeup or too shiny? is it too heavy?

Pond's Dry Skin Cream: about $7-not all that great reviews, but not a lot of reviews for under-make up, some said it was too greasy while others say it's amazing and has been for decades.

Are any of the above good for under-makeup, daytime moisture? Which of the above would be best for night time to maybe help it not be so dry overall?

What about acne proned skin with other moisturizers--olay, etc?

I've heard almay is very acne-conscious as far as their products go, so their moisturizers?

Sorry this is so long--thank you for any replies!

I'm using the acne.org moisturizer under my makeup and the cetaphil at night. I sometimes use the cetaphil under my makeup but it does make me a bit shiny...I just apply my powder around noon to help with the shine. I don't have oily skin so it works pretty good for me. Neither one has made me break out...yet.

Edited by Carleenor

Hi! I also use the Clinique Acne Solutions moisturizer...well, at least I did before my derma prescribed Aczone & Epiduo! I think using that moisturizer in addition to the products prescribed would be overkill.

So, since you're already a fan of Clinique, I suggest using BOTH the Acne Solutions moisturizer (first) and then the Dramatically Different Moisturizing GEL (second). It is a great, non-oily, light but effective moisturizer, and makeup goes on very well over this!

Good luck! :D

Ok don't know why I didn't see it before but you're going for cheaper moisturizers...Clinique definitely isn't "cheap", the product I recommended is $24.50!!

BUUUUUUUUUT the thing I will say about Clinique is, yes you may pay a bit more up front, but you're getting a quality product that will last forever. Seriously...I paid $50 (each!!) for their YouthSurge day & night moisturizers...back in January. And now it's almost August. And I'm like, halfway through them.

With drugstore brands I would have been buying a $6-$7 bottle of moisturizer every two months. So let's do a little math here. Assuming I bought a bottle of $7 lotion in January, March, May, and July, that's 4 bottles of $7 lotion = $28, right? Right, and I'd still be out of lotion at the end of August. Ok, so let's divide that by months. $28/8 = $3.50 a month for lotion. Seems cheap, right?

WELLLLLLL, like I said above, it's taken me 8 months to go through HALF a jar of $50 lotion. So...half of $50 is $25, right? $25/8 months = $3.13 a month for lotion. And a QUALITY lotion at that.

Not to mention I use 2 pumps of the Dramatically Different gel, which is VERY moisturizing, and only $24.50. So if that lasts as long as the Youth Surge, let's do the math on that one... half of $24.50 is $12.25. It took me 8 months to use half, so $12.25/8 = $1.53 a month for lotion!

LOL can you tell I'm an accountant yet?? ;)

Anyway the point is you may pay a bit more up front, but you pay for an extremely high quality product that lasts forever!

I'm using the acne.org moisturizer under my makeup and the cetaphil at night. I sometimes use the cetaphil under my makeup but it does make me a bit shiny...I just apply my powder around noon to help with the shine. I don't have oily skin so it works pretty good for me. Neither one has made me break out...yet.

Thanks, I haven't even looked at the acne.org moisturizer yet but I will :)

Ok don't know why I didn't see it before but you're going for cheaper moisturizers...Clinique definitely isn't "cheap", the product I recommended is $24.50!!

BUUUUUUUUUT the thing I will say about Clinique is, yes you may pay a bit more up front, but you're getting a quality product that will last forever. Seriously...I paid $50 (each!!) for their YouthSurge day & night moisturizers...back in January. And now it's almost August. And I'm like, halfway through them.

With drugstore brands I would have been buying a $6-$7 bottle of moisturizer every two months. So let's do a little math here. Assuming I bought a bottle of $7 lotion in January, March, May, and July, that's 4 bottles of $7 lotion = $28, right? Right, and I'd still be out of lotion at the end of August. Ok, so let's divide that by months. $28/8 = $3.50 a month for lotion. Seems cheap, right?

WELLLLLLL, like I said above, it's taken me 8 months to go through HALF a jar of $50 lotion. So...half of $50 is $25, right? $25/8 months = $3.13 a month for lotion. And a QUALITY lotion at that.

Not to mention I use 2 pumps of the Dramatically Different gel, which is VERY moisturizing, and only $24.50. So if that lasts as long as the Youth Surge, let's do the math on that one... half of $24.50 is $12.25. It took me 8 months to use half, so $12.25/8 = $1.53 a month for lotion!

LOL can you tell I'm an accountant yet?? ;)

Anyway the point is you may pay a bit more up front, but you pay for an extremely high quality product that lasts forever!

Wow, thanks! You make perfect sense. I think I'll try a cheap drugstore option first just because of convenience in location, but I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind, Thank you ^^

well just let you know, i used the Dramatically Different Moisturizing lotion before from clinique, i dont so much it's different from the gel one, but the lotion one broke me out crazy. i gave it a try twice and both time i broke out with cyst acne. maybe the gel is different but im too scared to try. also i have oily skin.

I had REALLY bad dry and flaky skin about a year ago to the point it was impossible to even wear make-up. I found this moisturizer at sephora and have been in love ever since.

It is kind of pricey at 28 dollars, but like I did you can ask for samples and they will give you plenty to test it out first. Plus, I've had the same jar since last summer and still have some left, so you get what you're paying for.

It's by far the best moisturizer I've come across. It works really well on extremely dry skin, and is super good for sensitive skin. At the same time it does feel heavy at all, and doesn't clog your pores.

Hope you find what you're looking for!