Notifications
Clear all

Spiro

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 07/27/2011 10:43 pm

So, I've never done this before, but I'm tired of feeling along in this battle so I thought I'd try this. I am on my 22nd day of Spiro and I take 100mg a day. I never had a big problem with acne until August 2009 and my face just got horrible. I originally was put on antibiotics which helped but those stopped working. I've been on Doxycyclene, Minocyclene, Ampicillin, and more that I can't remember, so my derm decided to start me on hormone therapy. I'm also applying Finacea twice a day.

I feel like my face will break out and then start to clear so I have a few precious days of clear skin then I start the whole process over again. I'm praying this stuff works. My face was looking pretty good until four days ago and now I have a papule on the left corner of my mouth which I picked at and now it's scabbed. I know, I need to stop. and a papule on my left cheekbone as well as a scab I picked on the right side of my mouth. I'm hoping to keep this updated so I can keep track of my progress and see if anyone else out there has any insight on this drug. I've noticed that it takes a while to work, so I'm hoping it does eventually!!

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 07/27/2011 11:00 pm

I forgot to mention that I'm 21 years old. So this whole break out thing started for me at 19 and a half years of age.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 07/31/2011 1:27 pm

Day...26? I think that's right. My month is almost up and right now I seem to be entering a lull in the waves of acne. It's no horrid right now, but lord knows I got plenty of scars. I noticed this last wave of zits wasn't nearly as bad. It wasn't good, but there weren't as many. I hope that it continues to get less and less. I'm getting one new one I think in my upper cheek towards my nose, but it seems to be not very deep. The scabs finally are pretty much gone after I put Neosporin on it. I also think I'm getting one on my left jaw. Maybe when I go back to the doctor I can go up on my dose. My gyno said I could, but I can't go on BC with estrogen because it increases my chances for stroke because I get auras before headaches. Sad face. Update later.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/02/2011 1:55 pm

Day 28

Two small zits around my nose, one is on it's way out. The scaring is still there which sucks because I don't want to put make up on, so I just go around with red marks on my face. Le sigh. I suppose life goes on. I notice that my hair is not oily like it used to be and my skin isn't nearly as oily as it used to be either which is nice. I do have little tiny bumps on my face that are not even noticeable but usually they get inflamed and scar. It's annoying. I just hope they go away. Right now the face is looking pretty good. It's not perfect and there is plenty of scaring, but I'm hopeful. I think this is working for me and am excited to continue it. I do have really low blood pressure with it though. I took it today and it was 89/71. I get a bit light headed sometimes, but I've always had that so I'm used to it. I just hope that when they draw my blood they ok me for the future. My gyno said I could do 200mg if I wanted which surprised me, but I will talk to my derm about that and see what he things. I'm ok with the 100 for now.

Anyway fingers crossed!

MemberMember
(@espinilla12)

Posted : 08/02/2011 2:00 pm

just as an fyi....When I upped my dose from 100 to 150 for a month I had constant spotting. I'm back to 100 and my cycles getting back to "normal".

MemberMember
(@dna5)

Posted : 08/02/2011 3:02 pm

I'm 17 and didn't have acne up until 8 months ago. I finally went to a derm last month and was also prescribed spiro. I take 100 mg a day and it has definitely cleared my cystic acne. I still get milder break outs on my cheeks and forehead, but I have a bad picking problem too. The derm gave me samples of finacea and differin to try but the finacea only dried out my face and gave me deeper pimples on my cheeks. My skin seemed to improve a little after I stopped that, and eventually I stopped the differin too. My face has just never reacted well to topicals. I have another derm appointment in 2 days so I'll see if I can get on any other oral antibiotics. I'm now just taking spiro and using tea tree oil after I get out of the shower followed by the vita lite moisturizer by skinfo.

I'll keep you updated.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/02/2011 9:37 pm

just as an fyi....When I upped my dose from 100 to 150 for a month I had constant spotting. I'm back to 100 and my cycles getting back to "normal".

Yeah I noticed my period came like 2 weeks after I finished my last one, so I have a feeling I might have the same thing happen to me. Did the uppage help the acne at all?

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/02/2011 9:44 pm

Also DNA5,

That's good to know. I have noticed that where my typical acne is, it seems to be disappearing, but now I am getting a few deeper sits around my cheeks by my nose. I wonder if this is the Finecea. I will have to ask my doctor. My face just seems dry. I don't know if it's doing any good. I was using it a month before I used the Spiro and it didn't seem to do anything then either except make my skin dry. I think I had more luck with the benzeoyl peroxide I was using before. I'll let you all know what happens at the doctor!!

An update though,

I thought I only had like one or two on my cheeks, but I feel more like four around my nose. THey haven't gotten big yet, but one is developing nicely. Awesome. Terrific. Grrr. However, around my mouth seems to be doing well *knock on wood* and that has been my biggest problem area.

Oddly, the acne I have now is the kind I used to get before all of these problems started. It's like the kind from 7th grade. I would upload pictures, but I don't know if I would be able to figure out how. Perhaps I'll try inbetween studying for the GRE. Yeah, that stress doesn't help. Anyway, I thank you both for posting on here and please let me know if you have any other advice!!

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/03/2011 10:32 am

Day 29

I think I'm going to scream. I woke up with two one on my cheek that seems deep and the other one is just getting bigger. I need this nightmare to stop now. Pleaseandthankyou. However everytime I got to the doctor my face seems fine so maybe he will get to see it now and know how sucky it is. Merr. I know it takes time so I'm staying strong.

the one that's getting bigger was from a little bump I've had for a long time, even before the spiro. I'm guessing the pore was already clogged and now it's infected. Awesome.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/04/2011 11:41 pm

Day 31

I'm sooo frustrated. I have two huge zits on my right cheek. The rest of my face is looking really clear, but these two are huge and painful!!! I'm going to the derm tomorrow. I'm going to ask for a cortisone shot, but I doubt he'll give it to me, but really I'm in pain and it looks awful. I tried to pop it but nothing happened and I didn't want to make it any worse. I also just got my hair done, since it was looking pretty nasty and it looks great now... all I need is a great face. I just wish it would stop hurting!! Seriously if my derm doesn't give me cortisone I'm going to buy cream or something. AWFUL.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/05/2011 2:14 pm

...still day 31

I went to the derm and am now going to be taking Cephalexin with my Spiro. It's an antibiotic which should help with any big break outs. So far my face is looking really great except for the two nasty, huge cycstic zits. Well one is a cyst or so my derm said. Luckily he did put two shots of cortisone in them, so they should be a lot better in the next two days or so. THANK GOD. Otherwise he said it would take 2-3weeks for them to really be gone. He was like so what do you wanna do? I'm like dude, shoot me up with that stuff. I also got changed to the cream form of my topical because my face is dry now and that wasn't helping. Ah. I'll let you know if I get any better in the next few days!!

xoxo

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/07/2011 11:01 am

Day 33,

My derm lied, I'm not taking the antibiotic, but he did increase my dosage to 150mg a day. The two on face are so much better. They're still a bit red, but I'll take that over what they were 2 days ago anytime.

MemberMember
(@momofgirl)

Posted : 08/07/2011 9:36 pm

Day 33,

My derm lied, I'm not taking the antibiotic, but he did increase my dosage to 150mg a day. The two on face are so much better. They're still a bit red, but I'll take that over what they were 2 days ago anytime.

please keep posting...I have a young daughter who I think has hormonal acne. Shes on Keflex but still REALLY breaking out! I think she needs the pill or spiro...PLEASE KEEP posting! Thankyou! I went through this as a young teenager...This is like reliving it again. I feel so bad for my daughter. She is beautiful and doesn't need to have this to deal with before her teens! SInce she was 9!

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/09/2011 2:10 pm

Day...something it's in the early 30's

Anyway MomOfGirl I will most certainly keep posting if I can!

Right now I have another huge deep cyst like zit near my eye. Luckily I somehow got back in to the derm for tomorrow to get it shot up with cortisone. I also have one near my nose however it doesn't seem to be deep, but it hurts. HOpefully he can get that one too. The one by my eye really hurts!! Yikes! Oddly enough the two that are the most noticeable are the ones he already put the medicine in. They aren't active but I think it's going to take time for them to really fully heal and not be red. With makeup it doesn't look too bad. Not great, but not horrid. I don't really like wearing make up but I'm going to to work and then take it off as soon as I get home.

As for your daughter, I hope she doesn't have to go through this. My mom said the same thing. She had acne and still does a little. So far my face is much less oily and around my mouth is doing really well. It's just my right cheek that decided to break out. I have no idea why this is happening. I've been told it'll take 90 days to really see consistent clear skin so I'm waiting. Hopefully there won't be anymore deep painful ones for awhile. I can't deal with them!!

I'm going on a trip this weekend and was hoping for clearer skin. Hoping that this trip will be the last emergency one needed, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hoping this clears up. xoxo

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/11/2011 9:33 pm

Day 37.

Well the nasty huge gross ones on my cheek are on their way out buuttt they are scabbed and kinda scarred. Time will only help those suckers.

However, I have on semi-deep on on my chin and like 3 little white heads on my chin as well. I did just start my period today. Well that explains the white heads. This happens around this time I suppose, but I was hoping the meds would help that. I don't know. I just hope these really are just white heads and not something more awful. That is like my biggest fear. I can handle white heads. Cysts I cannot deal with. No sir. Well time will only help my right cheek and time will only tell what will become of my chin.

I was so hoping to go out of town this weekend with a somewhat clear face. Guess not. Well I'm not letting it ruin anything. It's already ruined a lot and I"m not giving it this. I refuse. Ugh. Ok that's all for. now. Still on the 150 mgs a day. Hope this works.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/14/2011 9:31 pm

No big zits right now. Just some small ones going away. However, the left and right sides of my mouth are very dry. They are flaky and gross, so I've stopped putting the topical on that part and just moisturized as much as possible. Can't complain too much. I'm hoping this 100mg is working. I'm a little worried that I'm not really on my period but am just constantly spotting, which I hear can happen. If I don't stop after day 10 I'll have to call the doctor and ask what to do. My stomach has also been a little upset lately, but I think that's because I've been eating rather poorly. Nothing to really complain about except the flaky, scabby dryness around my mouth. THe scars look a little better, but I have to put make up on still. Hoping no new huge break outs occur. We'll find out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

*150mgs oops

*150mgs oops

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/16/2011 2:52 pm

Day 42

Woke up this morning and felt little bumps all over my left cheek. Started to cry. Then I got in the shower and saw my chest... and neck. I have little red bumps all over my chest neck and a little on my face. I guess I have a rash. Called the doc. Probably not the Spiro. I'm pretty sure the stuff on my face is part of the rash. I have NO IDEA what it's from. I've thought of everything. They don't really itch. It just happened over night. I was five 12 hours ago. I must have like 60 little red bumps. I don't really care about looks. I just want to find out what happened so I don't have to deal with it again. What is UP with my skin? Ugh. Hoping this clears up. As for my face. No new deep zits and the white heads are pretty much gone. Just got the rash thing. I'm actually hoping it is a rash so it goes away and it doesn't mean that it's more acne. Weird I know. It's like when I have a zit and it turns into a white head. I start jumping for joy because it's not a cyst. Pathetic. I know.

Anyway, I'll keep posting!

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/17/2011 1:41 pm

Dear god. I have what appears to be chicken pox. I've never had them before and I'm 21 and had the vaccine, but those apparently are fool proof as evidenced by my itchy body. Awesome.

MemberMember
(@phytoplankton)

Posted : 08/17/2011 2:00 pm

What? That's crazy!!! I'm glad it's not some serious side effect but ...chicken pox? That's just so random! I hope you get better soon, Feebedel!

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/20/2011 12:39 am

Good news is it's not chicken pox, BUT it is a rash called folliculitis. Most likely got it from a hot tub that I was in this weekend. My face really isn't bad but my chest and back are ridiculous haha. It'll go away completely in like two weeks. For now I"m on steroids which helped with the itching thank heavens!!

I"m feeling much better now that I'm pretty sure I know what it is and why I got it. I NEVER go in hot tubs because they freak me out, but of course the one time I do, I get this lol. C'est la vie :)

PS these steroids make me really happy and have energy.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/21/2011 12:44 am

On to day 47

That seems crazy, I feel like I was just starting this stuff and couldn't wait for it to work. Well I THINK it may be working. I HOPE it really is. Since I've upped to 150mgs my face is noticeably less oily and now that the rash has started leaving my face, I can't complain too much. I do have a few small bumps that showed up from the rash but I'm waiting to see if they start to go away with the steroids and time. Hopefully nothing turns into cystic acne. If I have something like that happen after day 60 it's game over and back to the drawing board. Sooo hopefully this is working! I swear if I end up jinxing myself I'll go nuts. So yeah I had a little white head above my lip and one or two around my nose that have healed like overnight so nothing big. Honestly my face feels pretty smooth which is weird. I want to touch it but I know I can't!! Just hoping I can move onto scar treatment in the near future.

I REFUSE to let acne control my life anymore. REFUSE. It's easy to say when I don't have a big flare up, but I'm determined to not let it rule my life or cause me to be self-conscience!!! I'm hoping I'm a success story!!!

MemberMember
(@phytoplankton)

Posted : 08/22/2011 4:15 pm

I'm super happy to know it's not chicken pox & that you're looking up! (: I hope your journey ends well with this!

I know the feeling of wanting to touch smooth skin. I don't remember the last time my skin was smooth. I know it won't be perfect because of scarring but it won't hurt to simply run my fingers over my face anymore once this is over with. (: I'm waiting for the day I don't have to layer on makeup to hide things. I can just go with some mineral powder and be fine instead of primer, concealer, foundation, etc...

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/23/2011 9:11 pm

I guess I'm on day 50!

Thanks for the well wishes!! I'm much much better! Phew! Anyway, today still no big zits to report. Maybe a few small white heads around my nose that I don't notice which might actually be from the steroids since acne is a side effect. My face it weirdly smooth. I'm pretty excited about it and I haven't had any big cystic or deep zits since the one on my cheek like on august 8th I think? So it's been a lot longer than the typical day or two free of acne. I still got some scars but I just put a little mineral powder concealer on my face and it doesn't look too bad. I don't need a lot of makeup, at least for now! Hoping it stays that way! I'll let you know if anything horrid happens!

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 08/29/2011 10:38 pm

Day 56

Well the white heads are almost gone, however I have developed a rather large zit on my right cheek bone. It doesn't seem to be as deep or as bad as others that I have had and it doesn't surprise me that that particular spot became inflamed. I've had a little tine bump there for like 3 months and like all the other little tiny bumps is became inflamed. But since I've started spiro I haven't had any new little bumps appear really. And this is one of the last one's left. I'm thinking the spiro helps to not form the little cysts so they don't get big. I also just started my period the exact day that I got the zit. Don't think that's coincidence. So he told me to go back if I got any deep ones, but I'm going to try to hold out. It did't seem as deep and I could see a white head to it so I squeezed it and all this white crap came out. Like it did that thing where it hits the mirror. Gross I know. But seriously all this stuff just oozed out until it was clear liquid and blood. I wiped it with some rubbing alcohol to make sure I didn't infect it or anything and put my zit zapper cream on the spot. It's still there and still has a bump but I've had some like these before and after I pop them they usually go away in a few days. It certainly feels better. I know I shouldn't have popped it... I just couldn't help myself. So other than that zit I really have nothing to complain about. Just dry skin. Trying to lay off the topical that I use and just put it around my nose and cheeks where it's the most oily. I also moisturize as much as I can. Hoping this is one of the last "big ones" but regardless I haven't had a big one since the beginning of august which is much more spaced out. So I'm guessing it's working. Not too worried about this zit since it's the only one on my face. I don't even care anymore. I just dab a bit of concealer on it and it doesn't make it so obvious and red.

Whatever it's all good in the hood. Still looking a lot better than I was before.

MemberMember
(@feebedel)

Posted : 09/02/2011 12:27 am

Day 60

So it's been pretty much two months since I started my treatment. I must say I'm pretty pleased. I do seem to have a few red bumps on my cheek close to my nose which really haven't swollen into anything huge. I don't usually get acne around there or if I do it's no very severe. I can't figure out if these will be shallow or deep or even develop at all. One of them had white stuff come out so I'm guessing it was more or less a white head. I dunno. So far my face is looking a whole ton clearer. Just throw a little concealer on in the morning and I'm good for the rest of the day.