Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uglies

2 decades of acne, time to start logging! (applications)

Here we go then! Initial post listing everything (or mostly everything) I ingest and apply, however this log will focus primarily on products I apply to my skin, rather than my diet. Anything pertaining to diet and supplements will be logged in my alternate thread "2 decades of acne, time to start (diet) logging!"

This list, extensive as it is, still is not as detailed as it should be. This is something I am hoping to modify as soon as possible. Additionally, I must emphasize that I do not and cannot adhere to this eating plan every single day. Sometimes I simply do not have time to prepare a packed lunch, or take time to make breakfast or dinner. I do my best to avoid foods to which I am allergic or intolerant, but sometimes they are unavaoidable.

Note: I began this new diet only 2 days ago. It does not include foodstuffs I have a genuine allergy to, which, with the exception of pollen, I have been avoiding since my respective diagnoses.

Anyone is welcome to chime in with advice or constructive criticism.

General

Age: late 20's (no I don't want to give my exact age, but I'm sure from my posts you can figure it out)

Height: 166cm / 5'5,5

Weight: 73,5kg / 162lbs

BMI: 28,5 (overweight)

Lifestyle: very sedentary. My work involves travelling by car/train and long periods of sitting down. I understand the importance of excercise and I realise I should make time to do it, but in that respect I admit I am lazy and always seem to find an excuse not to partake in it.

Acne type(s): the last five years mainly papules, pustles, whiteheads and blackheads, accompanied by hyperpigmentation and acne rosacea, mostly on face and neck but a small proportion on neck, shoulders and back. Occasional flare up of what appears to be rosacea fulminans/ pyoderma faciale. Have previously suffered from occasional cystic acne (mostly during my younger years) and frequent conglobata and fulminans. I am female but I must have very male skin!

known allergies

peanuts

shellfish

strawberries

avocado

pollen in general

cat hair

penicillin

foodstuffs avoiding due to possible intolerance

gluten (wheat, rye)

yeast

lactose (dairy)

casein

soy and soya

alcohol

chocolate

citrus (wherever possible)

tomatoes

red meat

Tuna

Ingestion

breakfast:

400ml water

60g Oatibix or oatmeal + 300ml coconut milk (alternate week, rice milk)

coffee with 100ml coconut milk (alternate week, rice milk)

medications: levothyroxine (for hypothyroidism), fluoxetine (for clinical depression)

supplements: supermarket brand vit c, 1 capsule flaxseed oil, 25ml aloe vera juice

snack 1:

Piece of fruit (either medium banana, large apple, 300g watermelon chunks or 150g cherries)

2 large slices gluten free & dairy free cake (either carrot cake or stem ginger cake)

250ml non-concentrated carrot juice + 250ml water

supplements: flaxseed oil, supermarket brand vit b complex

snack 2:

1 cup weak black coffee (half teaspoon coffee, approx 300ml water)

1 large glass (approx 300ml) water

lunch:

Large bowl either brown rice or white rice mixed with lentils or peas + 1 tablespoon gluten, dairy, soya free mayo (full fat), 5 roast turkey or chicken slices with 1 tablespoon same mayo.

300ml beetroot+apple juice

supplements:

supermarket brand vit e

snack 3:

approx 500ml water

Dinner:

Green beans + cucumber salad + 2 tablespoons aforementioned mayo

Large baked potato + gluten and dairy free spread (full fat) with home-made chicken korma (gluten, soya and diary free)

2 large glasses (approx 300ml) water

supplements: 1 capsule flaxseed oil

snack 4:

Green tea

Mint tea

Rooibus tea

snack 5:

piece of fruit (another of the selection from earlier)

supplements: melatonin (for sleep disorder)

Applying

morning

1. was day 1 Kiehl's Ultra Facial oil free cleanser, now switched to Cetaphil cleanser for normal to oily skin

2. Alternate day 1: mixture of rosa mosqueta oil and organic vitamin e moisturizer. Alternate day 2: Aloe Pura aloe vera gel with antioxidants a, c & e

3. (20 mins later) Clinique age defense moisturiser for normal/oily skin, spf 25

night

1. was Kiehl's Ultra Facial cleanser (original), now switched to Cetaphil cleanser for normal to oily skin

2. Aternate night 1: Retin-A 0.025%. Alternate night 2: mixture of rosa mosqueta oil and vitamin e moisturiser

Hands and body

Morning:

Aloe vera gel, then throughout the day severral applications of hand moisturiser with SPF 15 or 25 (whichever one I can get).

Evening:

Alternate day 1: Cocoa butter

Alternate day 2: vitamin e moisturiser

Alternater day 3: Retin-A (on arms, chest, knees, occasionally stomach)

Masks

Aloe vera gel mask 1x weekly

Clay mask 1x fortnightly on face, 1x weekly on neck and chest

Planning to cut down RA usage to 2x weekly and then embark on 1x weekly Aspirin masks

Edited by uglies

last night's updated routine:

1. Cetaphil cleanser (as before)

2. instead of Retin-A 0.025%, used Dalacin T topical antibiotic as a spot treatment to newly dry skin, to reduce inflamed acne.

3. (30mins later) rosa mosqueta / rosehip oil on acne scars ONLY.

Notes:

Dalacin T is supposed to be applied both morning and night, which is what I am going to do for a few days, and then apply a moisturiser half an hour later. Depending on the results, I may continue nightly and morning usage, or just nightly, and then bi-nightly. My original alternate night 2 (mixture of rosa mosqueta oil and vitamin e moisturiser) will be put on hold for now.

body and hand routine as normal.

morning updated routine:

1. Cetaphil cleanser for normal to oily skin

2. Dalacin T (on newly dry skin)

3. (30 mins later) Clinique age defense moisturiser for dry/combination, spf 25.

body and hand routine as normal.

notes:

Wow, Dalacin T really does dry and tighten the skin! Reminds of me Retin A when I first began using it. Glad I kept the dry/combination moisturiser. No change in inflamation or rosacea yet.

Slightly less redness and inflamation, no change in pore size or severity of scars, but oh my gosh my skin is OILY!!! That's the problem with oily skin; try to dry it out and the sebum glands tend to overcompensate :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, how many carbs and sugars do you think you eat a day?

Currently my diet is mostly carbs and sugars, which I know are converted to body fat if they are not used for physical activity. :redface: I realise I don't get enough protein and good fats though, so I've recently included sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds and the occasional bit of salmon. I know I should do some excercise, I know it lol :redface:

update:

Skin looks awful! Oily, clammy, dull and blotchy. Acne scars look worse and seem to have increased in number. Pores too have certainly increased in size. What is more, I've noticed about 6 patches of nearly white vitiligo, which is really noticeable amongst the rosacea and what remains of my natural skin colour. No doctors available today and certainly don't have enough money to pay for an impromptu consultation with a derm.

update:

Skin looks awful! Oily, clammy, dull and blotchy. Acne scars look worse and seem to have increased in number. Pores too have certainly increased in size. What is more, I've noticed about 6 patches of nearly white vitiligo, which is really noticeable amongst the rosacea and what remains of my natural skin colour. No doctors available today and certainly don't have enough money to pay for an impromptu consultation with a derm.

No change with regards to the vitiligo (or whatever it may be), but the other issues seemed to have calmed down.

I've updated my regimen to now include masks:

I did my first manuka honey mask 3 nights ago and to my astonishment it genuinely did reduce some of the inflamation. Not a dramatic change but certainly noticeable. The second manuka honey mask was last night (PROCEDURE: cleanse with Cetaphil facewash (oily/combo skin) > steam > pat GENTLY > apply 1 tsp spread around face > leave for an hour > rinse with warm water > splash with ice cold water to close pores), followed by lemon juice (again, from a fresh slice) as a spot treatment, and alow vera gel elsewhere. An hour later I massaged in 1 drop of rosehip oil to places that were scarred but not with active acne.

This morning I did an egg white + toilet paper mask (PROCEDURE: cleanse > steam > pat GENTLY > apply slightly beaten egg white all over face > plaster face with 1-ply toilet paper sheets > seal the tissue with another layer of egg white > leave till dry (approx 20mins) > carefully peel off tissue > splash with ice cold water > pat dry > 10 mins later apply Clinique moisturiser (dry/combo skin) and massage for 2 minutes). Again, not a dramatic change but definitely a more even skin tone, reduced inflamation, and less redness. Oh, and my skin feels kinda botoxed shock.gif

Slight but nevertheless unsightly breakout on chin and cheeks. I think this answers my question as to whether my breakouts were sugar related.

Applied manuka honey this morning as a spot treatment and braved the world with a sticky face :dance: Haven't washed it off yet.

Seems the manuka honey was pretty much ineffective against the breakout, which has only gotten worse. This morning I had a few small blackheads and about 5 tiny pustles, now the blackheads are noticeably larger and I have 15 pustles of varying sizes :cry:.

Is this the result of eating too much sugar the other day, or the change in diet and skin regimen, or what? I don't know what to do, I just feel so frustrated and upset. I have acne, and acne well and truly has me right now. Meh. Super mega massive giant meh :mad:

I applied Retin A again (15 minutes ago) and am about to apply aloe vera gel. Probably will do nothing for me as usual but like I say I don't know what else to do.

Just as I predicted, the Retin A and aloe vera made no difference. No more pimples as yet but the existing ones haven't changed. What is worse, they are now accompanied by bright red blotches, and my skin looks even worse than the first bout of uglies I had last week. Dehydrated, dull, leathery, like a heavy smoker and drinker.

Tried applying aloe vera several times today and did a 1 hour spot treatment oh lemon juice and manuka honey, followed by washing with lukewarm water and, pat dry, then another application of aloe vera. But absolutely no difference. My skin isn't at all painful but it just looks so hideous.

I don't understand at all. How come this is happeneing despite my doing virtually everything right?! I'll just hold out a bit longer, praying this is merely the purging stage.

I'm trying not to stress it but that's far easier said than done I'm afraid.

Just out of curiosity, how many carbs and sugars do you think you eat a day?

Currently my diet is mostly carbs and sugars, which I know are converted to body fat if they are not used for physical activity. :redface: I realise I don't get enough protein and good fats though, so I've recently included sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds and the occasional bit of salmon. I know I should do some excercise, I know it lol :redface:

It does get converted to fat if you don't use it, but mainly the idea is that first, carbohydrates break down into sugar, which raises your blood glucose. Insulin comes in to regulate the blood glucose. Having this constantly happen, the constant insulin spikes upregulate androgen hormones, which causes a cascade effect of increasing sebum production and over-proliferation of skin cells. Producing too many skin cells without the proper mechanism to slough off naturally, it mixes like cement in the pore. Hence, comedones and acne. In combination with chronic, low-intensity systemic inflammation from the insulin spikes, you get acne vulgaris (papules and pustules).

Veggies, meats, and berries (the fiber to sugar ratio in berries are perfect for avoiding a spike in glucose) are always good. No juice, grains/wheat/oats/flour/sugar, soy, dairy, etc etc. Just removing common allergies and staying low-glycemic does wonders, at least for many people.

I'm trying it right now. I was skeptical but, really, clearer than ever. :)