Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissMeh

Missing important social events due to acne :(

Hello everyone

It's been a while since I've posted but I'm back again. My skin has been pretty good over the last few months (apart from the odd average sized pimple here and there). However due to a stressful few months, it looks like my acne is coming back. I've been very stressed due to relationship problems with my boyfriend and also uni deadlines have been intense too. Although my relationship is now getting back on track and uni has finished for the summer, I think the lack of sleep and emotional highs and lows have triggered the acne I am experiencing now,as up until last week things were still incredibly stressful for me.

Right now I have a huge cystic pimple on my chin, which I can't hide with make-up (believe me I've tried - I'm the Queen of Foundations and Concealers!) and I just feel grotesque.

I'm supposed to be going to a wedding on Saturday, of a friend who I haven't seen for about two years. There will be lots strangers there as well as some other friends I haven't seen for a couple of years.

I suffer from anxiety generally and sometimes find it difficult to face social events, especially ones where I won't be with anyone I feel close to (for moral support). Unfortunately, as the friend who is getting married does not know my boyfriend, he was not invited to the wedding and so I would be going to solo to this event.

I honestly feel like if my skin doesn't improve by Saturday, it is unlikely I will be able to attend the wedding, as I will be too anxious and probably on the verge of panic attacks at the thought of people seeing my skin. I know this probably sounds really lame and people will say "don't let acne ruin your social life" etc etc. but the amount of distress and anxiety I feel at the thought of people seeing my acne cysts really makes going to these types of things when my acne is bad almost impossible.

I don't know what to do. I'm tired of making excuse not to attend events and I'm sure in the past friends have been upset because I've not attended things.

Any advice? Anyone else feel like this? :(

Hey (:

I completely understand what you're going through and it really does suck. I can't tell you how many things I've missed out on just because I've had such low self esteem about my skin (even including my nephews 1 year birthday party) and the thing is, I completely regret it! I know it's so easy for me to say but honestly, your friends you haven't seen in years are going to be so happy to see you and want to know how you are etc that the last thing they'll look at is any acne you may have. I've kind of got the same thing going on right now as I'm expected to go out and meet old friends from highschool on friday and typically, I'm having a break out on my cheek. I half want to just be like, 'i really can't face anyone right now' but I know that they aren't going to care about my skin, they just want to see me and have fun, regardless of what my skin may look like! That's the thing to try to remember. (:

You've got a few days until saturday so I would say just keep positive and try to smile through it (I know how hard it can be) and see how you feel. It would be a shame to miss out but I don't think anyone should ever belittle or force anyone into doing something that would make them feel really uncomfortable. If you don't go don't feel bad about it, but I would say just see how it goes. You'll probably end up having such a good time you won't think about your skin. (: Also, is there any chance you could ask to bring someone as a guest ?

I'd see if you could bring a guest. Even without any anxieties or skin problems or anything like that, it's not much fun going alone. It would be a shame to miss out though so I wish you the best of luck in finding the strength to go.

Fingers crossed you're at least a little happier with your skin and don't feel so bothered by facing everyone. There's not much one can say really, can't just tell you to get on with it because, as I'm sure you'll know, it simply doesn't work like that.

I've lost count of the things I've missed over the years - even events that I've actually bought tickets for - but I refuse to do it now. All the events or family meals I missed are pretty much blanked out of my mind I think. If I were to dwell on it, it would bring me down.

I pretty much have to force myself because in the end I would regret not going places and doing things. I cut myself off far too much anyway, socially speaking, because of my acne when it was bad, so to let anxieties get the better of me when it comes to other things and events I would enjoy would be the final straw.

I always think to myself, 'Face the fear and do it anyway!'

:)

Hey (:

I completely understand what you're going through and it really does suck. I can't tell you how many things I've missed out on just because I've had such low self esteem about my skin (even including my nephews 1 year birthday party) and the thing is, I completely regret it! I know it's so easy for me to say but honestly, your friends you haven't seen in years are going to be so happy to see you and want to know how you are etc that the last thing they'll look at is any acne you may have. I've kind of got the same thing going on right now as I'm expected to go out and meet old friends from highschool on friday and typically, I'm having a break out on my cheek. I half want to just be like, 'i really can't face anyone right now' but I know that they aren't going to care about my skin, they just want to see me and have fun, regardless of what my skin may look like! That's the thing to try to remember. (:

You've got a few days until saturday so I would say just keep positive and try to smile through it (I know how hard it can be) and see how you feel. It would be a shame to miss out but I don't think anyone should ever belittle or force anyone into doing something that would make them feel really uncomfortable. If you don't go don't feel bad about it, but I would say just see how it goes. You'll probably end up having such a good time you won't think about your skin. (: Also, is there any chance you could ask to bring someone as a guest ?

Hi Jessaminx,

Thanks for the supportive reply! It does help to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. The effect acne has on our self-esteem seems to be worse than the experience of acne itself...

I guess if I don't go it won't be the end of the world, it's not like it's my best friend or sister getting married. I would love to be strong and go anyway, as I would like to be there, but I'll have to see how I feel the day before (I'd need to travel to the location on Friday if I'm going as it's 2 hours away).

I could make up an excuse (illness probably) before the wedding and I suppose nobody can force me to go or say that I'm not ill. However, I'm worried my mum and sister will realise why I'm not going and have a go at me about it, my mum has no sympathy when it comes to my skin insecurities and will tell me not to be "ridiculous". She's got perfect skin. So I'll probably have to pretend I'm ill at home too!!

I wish this cyst would at least shrink down to a normal big spot size, then I might think twice about going on Saturday :(

Good luck with meeting your friends on Friday. You look really pretty in your profile photo, I'm sure nobody will notice your cheek problem! :)

I'd see if you could bring a guest. Even without any anxieties or skin problems or anything like that, it's not much fun going alone. It would be a shame to miss out though so I wish you the best of luck in finding the strength to go.

Fingers crossed you're at least a little happier with your skin and don't feel so bothered by facing everyone. There's not much one can say really, can't just tell you to get on with it because, as I'm sure you'll know, it simply doesn't work like that.

I've lost count of the things I've missed over the years - even events that I've actually bought tickets for - but I refuse to do it now. All the events or family meals I missed are pretty much blanked out of my mind I think. If I were to dwell on it, it would bring me down.

I pretty much have to force myself because in the end I would regret not going places and doing things. I cut myself off far too much anyway, socially speaking, because of my acne when it was bad, so to let anxieties get the better of me when it comes to other things and events I would enjoy would be the final straw.

I always think to myself, 'Face the fear and do it anyway!'

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the message. You sound like an inspirational person, I really hope one day I'll be able to face the fear and do it anyway!

I guess it's the combination of acne and anxiety that really holds me back. It's so bad that I wouldn't even be able to enjoy the social event, if I were to go, when my skin is this bad. In situations like this in the past I have forced myself to go to events/parties and then regretted going later, as I felt so self-conscious and anxious that I couldn't enjoy myself at all. One New Years Eve I had a terrible acne cyst (again on my chin area, very prominent) and I didn't really want to go clubbing looking the way I did, even though I had tickets to a night I'd been looking forward to. However as my sister had travelled to visit me for the party and wouldn't know anyone there, I had to go so that her night wouldn't be ruined too! So anyway to cut a long story short, I went, couldn't make eye contact with anyone and felt so anxious the whole time, in the end I threw up from all the anxiety and told everyone I had to leave as I had a stomach bug. I went home and didn't leave the house again for days, until my face was presentable again.

I know how I feel shouldn't depend so much on how my skin looks, it's sad :(

Edited by MissMeh

I have been there so many times.

There's a big social event, and you're praying that your skin will clear up before then. You do everything right and the big day comes and your goal is not achieved.

The sinking feeling in your stomach that your skin is bad and people will see it. Staring in the mirror hating your skin.

You want to go and see your friends and have fun like a normal person... But then you look in the mirror again and you just want to go back to bed and have more time. You start telling yourself, there will be other social events I can go to when my skin is healed.

You try to put makeup on to cover it but it just seems to go wrong and look worse. Your throat starts closing up and then the next step is the easiest choice of all.

You bail. And you feel a huge mix of emotions. Relief that you escaped. Depression that you're failed. Facebook is a great way of experiencing the event you should have been at through the photos, whilst crying inside at the smiling faces having fun while you stayed at home and watched Friends reruns.

I've been in that situation a lot of times. Recently I am a lot better. I try to turn my emotions off when I get ready. Methodically do my skin care routine, get the make up on. Try not to look in the mirror and have one or two glasses of wine. It really relaxes me and helps me to keep breathing.

In my experience. Once I'm actually there, I do forget about my skin. Trick is to avoid mirrors. Photos are fine, I just stand well back. The feeling of missing out makes me feel more depressed than the fear of someone noticing my skin.

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted you to know that you are not alone. And you probably wont be alone at the wedding with acne - it's pretty common :)

Thanks for the message. You sound like an inspirational person, I really hope one day I'll be able to face the fear and do it anyway!

:) I try my best. Sometimes I don't succeed, but it's only natural that we stumble now and then.

I suppose the trick to try and find all those little mechanisms which allow us to cope. Like Abi said, about avoiding mirrors and things like that. Small things, but they all add up and it limits the chances you get to put the negative focus on your skin.

The problem with social situations, especially such as this, is that everyone dresses up and wants to look their best and usually they feel really good inside. There's nothing stopping us from dressing up and looking our best of course, but those feeling are still inside and those anxieties are still on your mind. It's only logical that it brings us down because we end up thinking, 'Why can't I just be like everyone else and be care-free when it comes to this sort of thing?'

Whatever is behind it, the fact is, we have to take care of our skin for its sake as well as our own mental well-being. That's just how it is. Allowing it to hold us back doesn't improve anything, it just makes it worse. I did exactly that for years because it's the easiest options. It was the quickest way to feel relief from all those anxieties. But that doesn't fix it and that doesn't make it go away. So we have to face it, by by bit, in order to learn to deal with it and learn all those little things which help us cope.

Edited by PaulH85

i totally understand you...but...you have to live life to the fullest with or without acne because we only get to live it once...people are not going to realize your acne only if you keep talking about it. people don´t really care if you have acne, and they won´t realize it as much as you do.

life is short and you can´t miss everything for just acne. i know is hard to go out and face the world like this...especially when their are some idiots who would point out your acne but smart people won´t do that to you. it´s important for you to enjoy life because...once you die you can´t never come back to life...so enjoy it! before it´s too late.

i have acne also but i don´t give a damn anymore...i´ve seen tons of girl with acne and their self steem is high as hell, and they go to shopping, they hang out with their friends...you should do that. go outside and enjoy life like if you never had acne before...do that even just for one day...and you will see how beautiful life is, and how people won´t even care if you have acne at all.

Gah, I completely understand how you feel. And Abi totally had it right. I often times will bail and then have to deal with the guilt and the loneliness from not going to whatever event it was that I missed out on. It sucks to feel trapped by our acne but we really must force ourselves to continue to live our lives. At the end of the day, it's just acne. We can't let it defeat us.

Wow lot's of replies! :) thanks for the support guys. It's good to know others feel the same way. I hope I can be strong and not let my anxiety about my skin get the better of me this weekend...I know I will feel guilty about missing my friend's wedding if I don't feel strong enough to go (although to be fair, we haven't seen each other for two years and don't really stay in touch). So I will really try and brave it. I guess there's a chance my skin will improve over the next couple of days too...fingers crossed. I'm trying to be positive although my confidence really is at an all time low today...I don't even want my family to see my face and I'm wearing make-up too!

I have been there so many times.

There's a big social event, and you're praying that your skin will clear up before then. You do everything right and the big day comes and your goal is not achieved.

The sinking feeling in your stomach that your skin is bad and people will see it. Staring in the mirror hating your skin.

You want to go and see your friends and have fun like a normal person... But then you look in the mirror again and you just want to go back to bed and have more time. You start telling yourself, there will be other social events I can go to when my skin is healed.

You try to put makeup on to cover it but it just seems to go wrong and look worse. Your throat starts closing up and then the next step is the easiest choice of all.

You bail. And you feel a huge mix of emotions. Relief that you escaped. Depression that you're failed. Facebook is a great way of experiencing the event you should have been at through the photos, whilst crying inside at the smiling faces having fun while you stayed at home and watched Friends reruns.

I've been in that situation a lot of times. Recently I am a lot better. I try to turn my emotions off when I get ready. Methodically do my skin care routine, get the make up on. Try not to look in the mirror and have one or two glasses of wine. It really relaxes me and helps me to keep breathing.

In my experience. Once I'm actually there, I do forget about my skin. Trick is to avoid mirrors. Photos are fine, I just stand well back. The feeling of missing out makes me feel more depressed than the fear of someone noticing my skin.

Sorry to ramble on, just wanted you to know that you are not alone. And you probably wont be alone at the wedding with acne - it's pretty common :)

Thanks, Abi. I can really relate to your post, especially the part about telling yourself there will be other events you can go to when your skin is healed. I often do that. I kind of write off a social event off in my head and start thinking "I'll go to the "next one!". I also feel the same mixture of loneliness and relief that you and others mentioned once I've cancelled going somewhere and can retreat to my bedroom to watch TV and comfort myself!! I know it's not healthy though. I need to fight against my anxieties and be stronger.

About 3 years ago I went through the same exact thing as you did. I was so depressed and missed social outings all the time, I honestly wanted to die. And then miracuously I cleared my skin up (not completely but to my satisfaction) about 2 years ago and I became so much happier with my skin and life. I became a lot more confident with the way I looked and I was okay with anything. Spontaneous invites to go do fun things with different people came up and I didn't even bat an eye about my skin, even though there was still some acne there. And then about 2 weeks ago my skin went to nightmare territory, like twice as bad as it was before. Last night I completely broke down, just completely sat down in my bathroom and bawled after trying to cover up my face just so i could go and see my friends for a night. I had canceled my plans and was feeling miserable for myself, lying in my bed crying hysterically.

And then I realized I wasn't going to allow myself to go back to where i was before. I washed the cake of a face I had created off, put a little concealer on - thats it - and decided I was going to go out and see my friends. And I actually had a decent time, I didn't even compulsively think of my skin. And that's when I realized its all mental, and you can change it too! Go out, forget about your skin, because honestly the people who love and care about you won't care, even people who don't know you won't care that much, and the ones who do aren't worth your time! cheer up! i'm here to talk anytime!

About 3 years ago I went through the same exact thing as you did. I was so depressed and missed social outings all the time, I honestly wanted to die. And then miracuously I cleared my skin up (not completely but to my satisfaction) about 2 years ago and I became so much happier with my skin and life. I became a lot more confident with the way I looked and I was okay with anything. Spontaneous invites to go do fun things with different people came up and I didn't even bat an eye about my skin, even though there was still some acne there. And then about 2 weeks ago my skin went to nightmare territory, like twice as bad as it was before. Last night I completely broke down, just completely sat down in my bathroom and bawled after trying to cover up my face just so i could go and see my friends for a night. I had canceled my plans and was feeling miserable for myself, lying in my bed crying hysterically.

And then I realized I wasn't going to allow myself to go back to where i was before. I washed the cake of a face I had created off, put a little concealer on - thats it - and decided I was going to go out and see my friends. And I actually had a decent time, I didn't even compulsively think of my skin. And that's when I realized its all mental, and you can change it too! Go out, forget about your skin, because honestly the people who love and care about you won't care, even people who don't know you won't care that much, and the ones who do aren't worth your time! cheer up! i'm here to talk anytime!

Thanks Kaley. What kind of acne do you have? I'm trying to work out whether I get "cysts" or pimples (pustules I guess, euw). I used to get mild acne, lots of smallish inflamed pimples in my chin area, which I felt I could hide more easily with make-up and treat with topicals. I didn't really feel that self-conscious about that acne, it was more of an annoyance. But these days I get HUGE cyst like pimples. I'm not sure of they are cysts or just very large spots but people can clearly see them. Today my mum even asked me what I'd done to my face and accused me of squeezing my spots to make them the size they are (I haven't squeezed at all, just washed with a mild cleanser and left well alone).

It's so frustrating as the size of the ones I get is what makes me so self-conscious. I really feel low today, especially when my own mother seems shocked at the state of my skin. :(

I really feel low today, especially when my own mother seems shocked at the state of my skin. :(

I had the same thing a few weeks ago. I went to visit my parents and my mum was so shocked at my skin that she made a big song and dance of how she'd never seen it so bad and that I should go back to the dermatologist.

At the time I literally broke down in tears and felt the worst kind of hurt. But after a few hours I realised that she was only trying to be helpful and constructive, and I'd just never actually explained how low and insecure acne made me feel. Talking it through with her really helped both of us, in fact she had acne as a teenager and has lots of great advice.

How are you feeling today about the wedding? xx

Thanks Kaley. What kind of acne do you have? I'm trying to work out whether I get "cysts" or pimples (pustules I guess, euw). I used to get mild acne, lots of smallish inflamed pimples in my chin area, which I felt I could hide more easily with make-up and treat with topicals. I didn't really feel that self-conscious about that acne, it was more of an annoyance. But these days I get HUGE cyst like pimples. I'm not sure of they are cysts or just very large spots but people can clearly see them. Today my mum even asked me what I'd done to my face and accused me of squeezing my spots to make them the size they are (I haven't squeezed at all, just washed with a mild cleanser and left well alone).

It's so frustrating as the size of the ones I get is what makes me so self-conscious. I really feel low today, especially when my own mother seems shocked at the state of my skin. :(

A couple of years I had really bad cystic acne - those terrible, huge, hard lumps with nothing in them (which sounds kind of similiar to yours) - and then I went onto doxycycline and it really took care of those. i still had mild acne but I could always just pop it and cover it up really easy, but lately my skin has gone back to the cystic type. I can live with the mild acne, but the cysts are what kill me!

And I understand about your mom :/ My whole family has delt with acne, no one quite to the extent of mine, so they all go to the derm every now and then and get random topicals for it. My mom is always trying to get me to try different topicals that she has in her medicine cabinet and such :/ she questions me about my skin care habits too, like asking if i wash my face, etc. No mom, I actually enjoy having acne so I try at all costs not to wash my face. hahaha i dont know what she expects me to say! I think everyone knows I deal with self esteem issues, and my dad likes to pick fun of it. We were out of town a couple of weeks ago and in front of my grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, the whole shebang, he randomly goes "kaley you should stop caring about your appearance so much", it doesn't sound that bad but I was mortified that he said it in front of everyone.

stay strong! it does get better! just keep trying things, because my skin did clear up at one point!

I really feel low today, especially when my own mother seems shocked at the state of my skin. :(

I had the same thing a few weeks ago. I went to visit my parents and my mum was so shocked at my skin that she made a big song and dance of how she'd never seen it so bad and that I should go back to the dermatologist.

At the time I literally broke down in tears and felt the worst kind of hurt. But after a few hours I realised that she was only trying to be helpful and constructive, and I'd just never actually explained how low and insecure acne made me feel. Talking it through with her really helped both of us, in fact she had acne as a teenager and has lots of great advice.

How are you feeling today about the wedding? xx

Hi Abi. I know my mum didn't mean to upset me. Later she came and gave me a hug and said she knows how much "it stresses you out" (acne) and that she realized that she shouldn't have said anything about it. It's just frustrating when people try and give you advice when you know pretty much everything you could possibly know about the condition from your own research! "Of course I take care of myself. Yes, I drink enough enough water and eat enough fruit and veg. Of course I take my make up off at night. No, I don't pick my spots! ". I think her comment today also upset me as it made me realize that people *are* noticing my acne (I like to tell myself perhaps people can't see it). The fact my Mum saw that my skin was bad after glancing at my face for 3 seconds really knocked me and confirmed for me that IT IS that bad. Gah.

I don't think I'll be going to the wedding at this rate...my skin looks worse today, if anything, despite me getting loads of sleep... I do really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me though, guess I'm just not strong enough to brave it!

A couple of years I had really bad cystic acne - those terrible, huge, hard lumps with nothing in them (which sounds kind of similiar to yours) - and then I went onto doxycycline and it really took care of those. i still had mild acne but I could always just pop it and cover it up really easy, but lately my skin has gone back to the cystic type. I can live with the mild acne, but the cysts are what kill me!

And I understand about your mom :/ My whole family has delt with acne, no one quite to the extent of mine, so they all go to the derm every now and then and get random topicals for it. My mom is always trying to get me to try different topicals that she has in her medicine cabinet and such :/ she questions me about my skin care habits too, like asking if i wash my face, etc. No mom, I actually enjoy having acne so I try at all costs not to wash my face. hahaha i dont know what she expects me to say! I think everyone knows I deal with self esteem issues, and my dad likes to pick fun of it. We were out of town a couple of weeks ago and in front of my grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, the whole shebang, he randomly goes "kaley you should stop caring about your appearance so much", it doesn't sound that bad but I was mortified that he said it in front of everyone.

stay strong! it does get better! just keep trying things, because my skin did clear up at one point!

Thanks Kaley. I know our parents mean well. They just don't seem to realise how much effort we are already making in trying to fix our skin problems

Good advice about doxycycline too. I have been prescribed that before (I had a 7 day course for a bad cyst and a low dose for a few months after). It did seem to work. However, I know over time your body can develop resistance and my GP was reluctant for me to be on it for longer than 3 months, as soon as the acne had cleared up she stopped my prescription. My GP said it wasn't a long term solution. Do you think I should get a second opinion? My skin was still responding well to the antibiotics (no acne and therefore no signs of resistance). I'd happily stay on low dose antibiotics forever, despite the reported negative effects, as long as it kept this horrible acne away!

Thanks Kaley. I know our parents mean well. They just don't seem to realise how much effort we are already making in trying to fix our skin problems

Good advice about doxycycline too. I have been prescribed that before (I had a 7 day course for a bad cyst and a low dose for a few months after). It did seem to work. However, I know over time your body can develop resistance and my GP was reluctant for me to be on it for longer than 3 months, as soon as the acne had cleared up she stopped my prescription. My GP said it wasn't a long term solution. Do you think I should get a second opinion? My skin was still responding well to the antibiotics (no acne and therefore no signs of resistance). I'd happily stay on low dose antibiotics forever, despite the reported negative effects, as long as it kept this horrible acne away!

I'm not the biggest expert on doxycycline, I've honestly never done any intense research on it like I have on other medication, so obviously none of this is scientific it's just personal experience! But I've been taking it for probably close to 2 years. In the beginning I would literally have a heart attack if I forgot to take it because I knew soon enough there would be a nice cyst waiting for me. As time passed I got less strict about taking it, and if I missed a day here or there I wouldn't really notice a difference. As for the tolerance aspect, about a year ago I started to think I was starting to gain a tolerance for it (literally started freaking out), but somehow that went away I guess! I definitely know it's working because I ran out of my perscription about 3 weeks ago and I didn't take any for 2 weeks and my face was a disaster, but as soon as I had taken it for a couple of days my skin started healing. I have heard that it's bad long term though, but it makes me able to live with my skin so I guess its a price i'm willing to pay :/ If you feel like it helped I would definitely consider getting a second opinion, but I'm not sure if you want to be a slave to doxy forever like I am!

Acne has had an effect on my life too.. I have stopped going to my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practices because of it.. there's nothing worse than winning a match and then having a your partner say "dude, your face is bleeding" because I scratched a pimple during the process of grappling :/

Just to update all you guys - I didn't go to the wedding. I think being run down and stressed recently has caused this break out. It seems to be healing now (well starting to). I've decided to try and change my diet and do more yoga, walks etc to keep calm. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm hoping I can cure it naturally by taking care of myself as I'm not keen on resorting to BP. Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate all your support.

Sorry to hear you didn't go to the wedding :( But I'm sure we can all relate, and in the end we have to do what makes us happy and comfortable, and if it means missing out on social events then sometimes that's a price we have to pay :/ I hope that all of that works for your skin!

As for me, my skin, especially my forehead, keeps breaking out :/ Every morning I wake up thinking that it's going to be a better day and it just keeps getting worse. I haven't canceled any plans yet, but it's definitely been wearing on me knowing my skin doesn't look as good as it used to.

I basically missed my entire second semester of senior year due to my acne. I lost most of my friends. And kind of lost myself. Hell of a time.