Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tthomas

Need Lemon juice tips!

Hey guys,

I just got a couple fresh lemons from the store today. I was wondering what ingredients you mix with the juice for better results. (To remove/fade acne red marks)

As of right now I may just cut a thin Slice of the lemon and apply the flesh. Im also considering squeezing the juice onto a cotton ball and applying it that way. At the moment I'm planning to leave it on for about 45 mins, then wash it off.

Also. Should I wash my face with my BP wash to get the ointments currently on if off before I put lemon juice on?

Thanks in advance.

^ Why? It contains several AHAs--citric acid, malic acid, tartaric acid (mainly citric)--making up probably 6-8% of the total composition. That's why people have noticed it has a skin bleaching/mark reducing effect. It also has a little bit of l-ascorbic acid (vitamin c). It's basically a natural chemical peel, but weak enough that you can leave it on overnight, and it seems to work better than store-bought peels for some people.

Personally, I dilute lemon juice to 50% with water because it's a little bit too acidic otherwise (lemon juice is pH of 2.4, skin is 5.5 I believe). I also freeze it and use it to ice my face--this way I don't have to waste any of it, so it only costs about 75 cents a week.

^ You sound like you don't know what skin bleaching means. How do you suggest dealing with hyperpigmentation and red marks besides exfoliating and lightening? It just accelerates the healing process.

How long did you try it for? And did you use lemon juice that you squeezed yourself? Because its chemical composition disagrees, and I'd rather trust science than your unjustified assertion.

I've dabbled with lemon juice on and off. I usually drink it in hot water first thing when I wake up. It kick starts the metabolism.

I also squeeze the juice and dab on my face with a cotton ball to help with scars. It definitely fades them a little, and the stinging, while unpleasant, is bareable.

This morning I used it as a toner as the start of a new regimen. After washing my face with soap, I squeezed a slice into a ramikin, then used a cotton ball to wipe it onto my face. When it was dry I put moisturiser over it. I will do this every day and hopefully my scars will go down and my acne will subside. Fingers crossed!

considering Lemon's contain AHA's which are the primary reason red marks fade, wouldn't it be slightly more effective to actually purchase an AHA product?

considering Lemon's contain AHA's which are the primary reason red marks fade, wouldn't it be slightly more effective to actually purchase an AHA product?

Sure. It would essentially be the same thing except AHA products cost more money, and lemons are dirt cheap. It's up to you. Since AHA products contain higher percentages of the acid, you can experience a purging phase. I think since the concentration is not very high in lemons, you won't have a purging phase. If you do, it will be very mild as the AHA encourages cell turnover thus pushing the junk out of your pores and decongesting them.

Can I use store bought lemon juice?

People have success with fresh lemons that are squeezed and lemon juice. Either one works. I think it's cheaper to dilute the juice from a squeezed lemon with water, but it's up to you and whatever you are more comfortable with.