Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miya

Does using too much moisturizer cause acne?

I tend to use moisturizer before i sleep and a moisturizer with SPF 30 in the morning. Does this cause breakouts? Even though the moisturizers are non comedogenic?

I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for combination skin and it has never broken me out. However, at one point I switched to Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for sensitive skin and it definalty made me break out.. not to mention the stuff smelled absolutly horrid. It also left my face terribly greasy looking. So I guess some moisturizers, oil-free or not, can make you break out.

When getting a new moisturizer you should look for the following things:

*Fragance free

*Oil Free

Now, just because a moisturizer says that it is oil free, do not be mistaken. You have to take it upon yourself to look at the ingredience list. Quite a few moisturizers use "oils" and can contribute to acne. For example, many people think that Natural Lanolin Oil caused acne but infact it doesn't. However, it is Synthetic Lanolins (man-made) that can cause acne and leave your face feeling oily/greasy.

Some oils are good for you while others aren't.

If you use a moisturizer with SPF in it, this is also be something causing you to breakout. Make sure that the ingredience for the spf are not chemical made, they can cause breakouts.

Nikki