Notifications
Clear all

How important is toner?

MemberMember
(@roisin75)

Posted : 07/22/2011 5:27 am

Just wondering how many of you use a toner in your skin care routine? I wear foundation daily and I don't currently use toner - though I do cleanse twice. Is this enough or should I be using toner? I would like to keep my skin care routine as gentle as possible as I have just started Roaccutane. But I do want to make sure I am removing my makeup properly. Ideally I wouldn't wear any foundation at all, but my confidence is so low at the moment I can't screw up the courage to leave the house without it!

MemberMember
(@gamecock22)

Posted : 07/22/2011 5:46 am

In my opinion, it replaces using a scrub every day. I use toner to exfoliate and honestly it really helps to clean and clear my skin (Lol, clean and clear). Some toners can be harsh, since they contain alcohol or other drying ingredient. I think you should get a gentle toner that does not dry you skin out.

BTW, I use Origin's Zero Oil toner, it has mint so it leaves your skin super fresh. But it has alcohol :(.

MemberMember
(@roisin75)

Posted : 07/22/2011 10:27 am

Thanks Gabriel! I have been eyeing up the Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion - but I have just realised it has SA in - probably not a good idea on Roaccutane! I don't think anything with alcohol in is a good idea either. If at all possible I will leave it out - but I am getting a bit paranoid that I am not removing my makeup properly.

MemberMember
(@nessavenasaur)

Posted : 07/22/2011 11:41 am

I would use a toner in my teens. As I learned about skin, I've gotten the impression that they're not that useful and even harmful. Like Gabriel mentioned, they can be drying due to the alcohol.

Personally, I find them to be an expendable step in a skincare routine; they don't really do much for skin.

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 07/22/2011 12:03 pm

There are alcohol-free toners out there. The amount of alcohol in a product would matter,too. A lot of cheap store brand toners put way too much in there, but my serum has alcohol in it without drying me out. I think alcohol is an addition in a lot of things to help with absorption.

I don't know if there's a really strict classification for what is/isn't a toner, but I use one to exfoliate and make sure any cleanser residue is off. All it is a half apple cider vinegar and half water or tea. The ACV cleans and exfoliates, and the cotton pad itself helps get off flakes of dead skin. It's definitely not something I personally would remove from my routine.

MemberMember
(@roisin75)

Posted : 07/22/2011 12:36 pm

Thanks guys! I have seen that Kiehls to a Calendula one - no alcohol and non-astringent. Just wondering if I should add this to my routine after I have finished Roaccutane. Omegais - I noticed on another post that you have taken Accutane - what was your skin care routine like when you were on it?

MemberMember
(@nessavenasaur)

Posted : 07/22/2011 12:51 pm

Are you using it to make sure you're removing all your makeup? I think it depends on what you want out of it? My point is, which I failed to make, is that there are better cleansers and creams that would eliminate the need for a toner.

If you want it to make sure you remove all traces of makeup, I would say use a better cleanser. Something like oil.

If it's as an exfoliant, there are probably exfoliators than a toner. Like lotions with an AHA.

MemberMember
(@gamecock22)

Posted : 07/22/2011 4:04 pm

Just a quick recommendation, I used the Proactive toner and I think you might like it. It's alcohol-free. I didn't like it because it was too gentle, it almost felt like water. I like my toners to be potent haha :D

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 07/22/2011 5:05 pm

Thanks guys! I have seen that Kiehls to a Calendula one - no alcohol and non-astringent. Just wondering if I should add this to my routine after I have finished Roaccutane. Omegais - I noticed on another post that you have taken Accutane - what was your skin care routine like when you were on it?

I was on an extremely high dosage considering my body weight. 80mg for a 110 lb girl, so my symptoms were very harsh. I got to the point where I was washing every couple of days(Or was it just once a week?) with the same Aveeno cleanser I am now and globbing on aquaphor or Eucerin nighttime redness relief.If I went out anywhere I'd use some spf moisturizer underneath Loreal Trumatch foundation. Occasional I would take off some dead skin with a baby's hair brush softened with hot water. The bristles are similar to facial brushes,but it was cheaper.

MemberMember
(@lillie-charlotte)

Posted : 07/23/2011 1:40 am

just about every skincare article and doctor has told me that toner/astringents are bad for your face. but i am addicted to them, my face just doesn't feel clean if i don't use them...so i switched to Thayers Rose Water Witch Hazel Toner. it is alcohol free and witch hazel is supposed to be some super ingredient for the skin.

MemberMember
(@rafsolution)

Posted : 08/09/2011 7:14 pm

what does a toner do? whats it used for?

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 08/09/2011 7:38 pm

Toners are only bad if you get one with the wrong ingredients. If you get a toner with high alcohol levels, yes that is bad, just like if you got a cleanser with one (if that was possible). Toners are used to re-balance the pH of your skin after cleansing and to encourage even and good product penetration. They also will get anything your cleanser did not remove. You don't *need* one but they can be very beneficial. Just make sure you do your research and get one with ingredients tailored to your skins' needs.

Haha I swear I looked this up after:

My toner

MemberMember
(@roisin75)

Posted : 08/10/2011 8:14 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have decided to go makeup free for the time being and am working on making my Roaccutane skincare regimen as simple and gentle as possible. So for now, toner will not be happening! But if I do go back to makeup, I will definitely invest in a gentle alcohol free toner.

MemberMember
(@ariana)

Posted : 08/11/2011 12:25 pm

I don't use toners, but I was thinking today if I found a toner with at least spf 30 in it and other good ingredients, I would love to put some on a cotton pad and just swipe over my face instead of sunscreen--as long as it would leave my face feeling clean. I hate the feel of sunscreens. I don't think toners with spf exist though.

MemberMember
(@fade)

Posted : 08/12/2011 3:41 am

I'd like to suggest Rose Water for a toner. It's super gentle and smells great too. ;) It's also a great refresher on no mu days......haven't tried it over mu yet, though.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 08/12/2011 3:58 pm

Just wondering how many of you use a toner in your skin care routine? I wear foundation daily and I don't currently use toner - though I do cleanse twice. Is this enough or should I be using toner? I would like to keep my skin care routine as gentle as possible as I have just started Roaccutane. But I do want to make sure I am removing my makeup properly. Ideally I wouldn't wear any foundation at all, but my confidence is so low at the moment I can't screw up the courage to leave the house without it!

Toners aren't really necessary.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#toner

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 02/17/2013 8:22 pm

It's not important, but I still use it.

The biggest reason for me is because I feel that when I pat my face dry with a towel, most likely it will transfer some dust or whatever on the towel on to my skin ( I do wash my towel everyday, but still...)

So using a toner with a disposable cotton pad seems to remove those dust/whatever there's on my skin before I apply my lotion & sunscreen.

But, to me, using a toner or plain water seems like the same thing.

*Though I am very interested in using a toner with AHA, and then use my lotion/sunscreen of my choice instead of using an AHA lotion, and then another lotion again.

MemberMember
(@naturalog)

Posted : 02/24/2013 2:49 pm

My derm told me to stop using toners as they can be too drying and unnecessary if I am doing my prescribed regimen correctly. I think it just depends on your current regimen and skin.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/25/2013 11:22 am

Toners never did anything for my skin. I am back on the regimen now and seeing much better results that I did over the past year where I was using all natural products and various toners. (worst acne of my life)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/25/2013 3:02 pm

I like Burt's Bees Rosewater Toner