Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kayla514

Is my acne mild to moderate? What kind of acne do I have?

No makeup on in any of these pics, and extremely oily face!

But what kind of acne would you consider me to have?

What should I do about it? I've tried Differin but it just causes too much irritation.

Thanks!

post-154659-1311185941_thumb.jpg

post-154659-1311186000_thumb.jpg

post-154659-1311186008_thumb.jpg

post-154659-1311185941_thumb.jpg

post-154659-1311186000_thumb.jpg

post-154659-1311186008_thumb.jpg

Well, maybe it is your camera, but personally I do not see any pimples?

If you do have any, it is probably mild! :)

Well thanks, my camera is a macbook webcam so not the best quality, but I definitely do have a few little things. Mostly red marks and small comedones. I think?

I just want it to be perfect :( does it seem like the type that I can grow out of soon? I just turned 17

Guest Timehealsall

you have what most would call "no acne"

Yeah sorry, you don't have acne. Even if you do have a couple little things, it's nothing to fret over. I would personally forget about it because trying to get rid of the few little things might irritate your face and give you a bad breakout. Honestly though, I don't think my skin has ever been that clear.....

I feel bad for coming here complaining about things you all view as minor in comparison to yours, but I feel bad when I compare myself to people I know and some of my friends who all have LITERALLY FLAWLESS skin. not a slight blemish, bump or red mark anywhere. I guess we all want the next best thing and who knows when I'll ever be satisfied...! I used to have moderate acne I'm pretty sure. You guys would consider it real. At that time I'd kill for my skin now. But with my skin now, I'd killl for other skin. I guess I just want perfection....its mostly just an uneven texture/tone thing at this point and a couple marks left from previous breakouts. Luckily no deep scars or indents. Sorry for annoying anyone because I know it can get frustrating (my perfect-bodied best friend complains of being fat all the time, when I'm clearly much heavier than her...), and while I appreciate all the nice things you say and how my skin seems "acne-less", I know it isn't perfect and in some lighting it just looks bad! Makeup looks worse because of dryness from whatever treatment I use. and whatever treatment I use just seems to make my non-inflamed, mild acne turn into something a little more legitimate....so I dont know what to do! Obviously I'll live. Sorry for bothering anyone....good luck with your clear skin quests

I guess we all want the next best thing and who knows when I'll ever be satisfied...!

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is how I feel sometimes.

yup, I'm never satisfied either. I always want improvement: I think it's just my personality.

Your only visible issue seems to be texture. Have you tried salicylic acid yet?

Too bad you couldn't make Differin work (or better yet, Retin-A/tretinoin). It would probably eventually make your skin pretty close to perfect and keep it young just about forever (especially if you start at 17)

Guest Timehealsall
yup, I'm never satisfied either. I always want improvement: I think it's just my personality.

Too bad you couldn't make Differin work (or better yet, Retin-A/tretinoin). It would probably eventually make your skin pretty close to perfect and keep it young just about forever (especially if you start at 17)

retinoids matter when you use them? I.E., if you start when you are younger, it is ideal?

Yes, it's definitely better to start when one is younger. I read one paper where a dermatologist recommended that people with certain features (I believe red hair and fair skin) start retinoids before they even hit their teens!

It's mostly anecdotal evidence, but there are many accounts of people who have been using retin-a for 20+ years and having extremely youthful, resilient skin.

You look so young and your skin seems pretty clear, I wouldn't even try any acne prescriptions besides what you could get in the store like benzoyl peroxide for when you do get a pimple to spot treat it. You could just irritate it more by drying out your skin which is no good. I remember I had clear skin when I was young, no acne, but I'd get occasional pimples that I'd pick and make worse. But only one left a scar (because I picked at it and picked at it constantly for like a month when all it was was a tiny pimple) while any other marks I had all faded away. When you're young, your skin will heal so much faster. The marks might be there for a little, but they'll go away. I would have people comment on how clear my skin was and how my pores weren't visible, but I'd obsess about any pimple that I did get. I remember putting BP on my face all the time at night as a preventative which was just making my skin dry and flaky which wasn't any better. Just stay away from the mirror and don't obsess over every little flaw. Your skin looks clear, nothing to worry about! Easier said than done, but really, there's nothing there. Wear a little concealer if it makes you feel better.

Yes, it's definitely better to start when one is younger. I read one paper where a dermatologist recommended that people with certain features (I believe red hair and fair skin) start retinoids before they even hit their teens!

Lol oops. Sucks to be me then. Differin pretty much ate me alive when I used it. But I do want to try a retinoid again eventually.

Anyway, your skin is fine! I see maybe two red marks... nothing to worry about!

Texture? What's wrong with her skin texture? It looks perfect!

Texture? What's wrong with her skin texture? It looks perfect!

Yeah seriously. It's hard for anyone's skin to look that good up close with a camera, non-Photoshopped. Why use products when you don't need it? Sometimes people use or take things, and it actually hurts their skin in the long run. Only use something if it's really necessary.

Thank you guys. Right now I use a gentle cleanser twice a day, and I recently got a prescription for Benzaclin that I've started using. The first 3 days I used it twice a day and realized that it's a bad idea, too much dryness/irritation and seems to be making my red marks redder...possible?

I've heard from so many people that Benzaclin is great though, so I'm going to tone it down and only use it on active pimples...I don't have very many but when I do I'll put it on and I've noticed/heard that they go away much quicker. I also use Oxy 0.5% salicylic acid pads 2 or 3 times a day. I don't have a moisturizer I like at the moment...any suggestions?

I mostly get the tiniest little pimples that are either skin-color or pinkish red. Extremely small and usually able to be "scratched off" but sometimes seem pretty stuck. I think these are from sweat/how I sleep? (I sleep with my face stuffed into my pillow, and its been pretty hot these days) and I only get acne on the lower parts of my inner cheeks. I have really big pores on my upper-inner cheeks beside my nose. And my forehead is all clogged up with skin colored bumpiness. Otherwise I know it's pretty ok (besides a bit of redness on the cheek area) but do you guys think I should just stop using anything completely (besides washing) or continue with Benzaclin/wipes?? My derm laughed at my request for a long-term, really low dose of accutane....what do you guys think of that?

Just as a side note I've noticed that my redness looks MUCH WORSE after showering/washing my face. Am I alone to think that?

I think my forehead stuff is related to diet...I've read something about congested liver...I'm going to try to cut out anything processed, refined etc. and see where that takes me

My derm laughed at my request for a long-term, really low dose of accutane....what do you guys think of that?

Accutane is a last resort for severe acne - the side effects can be very aggressive. I'm sure your derm didn't 'laugh' at your request but it's definitely not the right thing for you.

I suspect that people on here might be a bit upset about you complaining about your skin.

My derm laughed at my request for a long-term, really low dose of accutane....what do you guys think of that?

Accutane is a last resort for severe acne - the side effects can be very aggressive. I'm sure your derm didn't 'laugh' at your request but it's definitely not the right thing for you.

I suspect that people on here might be a bit upset about you complaining about your skin.

Which is why I apologized for any offending I may cause. I read that Accutane used the way I mentioned has shown amazing results for mild acne.