Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thebignosebandit

Retin A Was The Biggest Skin Mistake Of My Life.

I can tell you this right now, retin a, as far as skin goes, is the biggest regret of my life.

The topical purged my acne out for 6 months, non stop. I waited for it to finally *work*, but the cysts kept coming, 2/3 a week.

It never kept my skin clear, and it permanently changed my skin.

Ever since i have taken retin a, my skin has been extremely fragile. Anything popped, even on accident, left a scar. Also, my skin was more oily than ever. This has not changed.

Put it this way, before retin a, i had acne, but no scars, smooth skin........after retin a, i have about 5 indented scars on my face, and they are permanent. im going to die with them.

i urge you, from my personaly experience, to avoid retin a. and on top of that, never, ever pop. a permanent scar is much much worse than a cyst that might hang around for a week or so.

Amen! Seriously Retin-A was the worst mistake I've ever made. I mean, if there's one thing in my life I could go back and change it'd be ever using that product. My skin has been completely ruined ever since I used it and I've been off of it for like 6 months. Definitely try another product before ever considering this one. Have you found anything that helps with the oil at all?

Damnnn, I'm on it now, been about 3 weeks so not enough time to really tell.. Been breaking out though on and off for the past 3 weeks, I think due to the Retin-A (which is a good thing if that's the case)

Did this work for anyone?

It worked for me really well at one point! It took me about 2 months to see anything, then BOOM 95% clear for like 3 weeks. I loved it. I was all biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . Then I stopped using it for 3 days cause I went on vacation, and a week later my face exploded. It's been a week since my explosion, and my face seems to be getting slightly better....but it's no where like it was before...

Does anyone know if getting off the retin a for 3 days could have contributed to losing the clarity of my skin?? I also didn't wash my face or anything for those 3 days...just wondering if there's any hope my face will clear back up again if I'm consistant! Thanks.

It seems to be working ok for me. I am entering into my 8th week and the really bad initial break outs have stopped and I am seeing improvements. The pimples that I get now come and go in a flash.

I use the Retin A Micro at night and also ACV (sometimes) and BP during the day (if I have a small breakout) and a good sun screen.

They say to stick with any acne regimen for at least 3months before totally throwing in the towel.

You guys are scarring me sad.gif

I've been on it for about 3 months and my skin hasn't looked this clear in years. Is it a known fact that retin-a makes you scar more easily? If so, why? I did notice that it makes me extremely oily...those prone to cystic would probobly be better off with something else.

Vitamin A acid is the worst possible thing you can do to your skin for acne. All it does is shed layer after layer after layer of skin until you get damaged, thin skin that still has acne because all it does it uncover more.

Just garbage.

I thought retin-a was supposed to help in fading scars? I've actually noticed that some of my scars are a lot less noticeable but I did scar in two spots but i'm not sure if it was the retin-a that did it or not. I dunno. I'm seeing pretty good results myself so i dont' want to get off it and break out again.

anyone know if your skin gets worse when you stop retin-a? are you supposed to be on it forever to maintain clear skin?

retin a did in fact help fade wrinkles....

but it created MORE scars because it purged more and more cystic acne, kept my skin extremely oily, and worst of all, kept my skin very fragile. with bad cystic breakouts, and fragile skin = scars.

and i was on this for over 6 months, and i kept getting breakouts through the whole thing.

in the end, we are all different, our skin is diverse, so maybe, it may work for you, but for me, it was the biggest skin regret of my life.

My skin doesn't feel that fragile! I only use retin a on my nose and forehead, and the skin on my forehead feels much softer and smoother (where I dont have zits!) than the skin on my cheeks. It can't be all bad. Maybe retin a isn't as good for cystic acne, because I never get acne that scars, so I don't have any scars from retin a. I did notice I started getting red marks a lot more since retin a, though. But I'd rather have red marks than acne.

thebignosebandit,

how long have you been off of it? my skin also became SO oily using it (and still is). i was hoping that my skins oil production would go back to normal after stopping but now your comments are making me nervous

I think that it is important to remember that not everyone will have the same results. If Retin A is working for you then my all means stick with it. People SWORE by Proactive and I stayed on that system for 3 months and it SUCKED for me but worked for others.

Just do what is best for your skin. smile.gif

Good luck to ya'

Aurelia

As I've said before Retin-A micro is the devil. This made me breakout and be oily soooo much.

I don't recommend it at all.

sad.gif I have to say i'm worried now after reading all the comments about Retina A. I just started using Retin-A Micro (0.1%) the last few days and my acne has become much worse, but I was hoping it was just bring it all to the surface. I'm also taking this with minocycline. Should I stop using this product or wait it out? I've only used it for about a week.

Also, does anyone know the effects of minocycline on birth control? I've read articles where it may affect birth control....

Okay, so does anyone know what to do for the oily skin? I've been off of that crap for almost five months now and my skin churns out oil like no other. I had hoped it'd stop once I stopped using Retin-A but it's like it permanantly screwed up my oil glands. Does anyone know what to do?

Mine too. Are you using anything else that would dry your face a lot? Since I got so oily from using the retin-a, I would wash my face too much only too make it worse. I would also be careful of using too much drying products/benzoyl peroxide. Instead of washing your face to get rid of the oilyiness, you could try using those oil blotting sheets...they worked for me and they leave no residue and won't make you break out. I love them.

mjk (maynard james keenan? love him), I was on the same products and I looked like crap for about the first month but now my skin is so awesome. At first, my red marks looked twice as bright but after a little while, they started to fade quickly. Patience is the best advice i could give. I think mino really helped me a lot.

I've been on Retin-a for 5 weeks now and I've never experienced so many cystic acne pimples! It hurts!!! Especially all over my chin. One pops up, goes away in a couple days, there are 3 more in its place. I don't touch them or anything like that. I use Retin-a everynight all over my face. My face produces the same amount of oil but I am sick of the cystic acne!!!!

I'm thinking of just switching to "The Regimen" hope there isn't a period where I break out even more by starting something new.

(just wanted to vent... thanks!)

Hey Hulachic,

If you've already gone the whole 5 weeks and suffered through the breakout, you might as well keep going w/it because in week 7 you'll notice a decline in the number of cysts that you get.

I'm not saying that your face will be much better than when you started your Retin-A Micro treatment (because mine wasn't improved when I used it) but who knows? You could be one of the lucky ones for whom the initial breakout was worth it.

i tried it before. just caused a lot or irritated dry and extremely sensitive skin. but i think it's important to note the strenght and how often you apply it are key factors. a friend of mine used the gel version at .5 for years and it worked great on her. she also only used it once a day and even sometimes not even that. my skin was too sensitive for it, but Differin gel works great for me. that is similar to Retin-A though. I started out 2ce daily as the doc prescribed but was going crazy with itchy, dry skin. I cut myself back to using once every other night for about 2 months till my skin got used to it. I have now been using it for about 2 1/2 years and it continues to work great for me as long as I am disciplined in using it. i was for a long time using it 2ce a day but now i only use it more or less about once a day...imo it's much gentler than Retin-A and doesn't have the same it's got to get worse before it can get better logic. it's important to start out slow though...

First off... lets establish that Retin-A and Retin-A Micro are DIFFERENT THINGS!!! They are inherently similar but their delivery system is different and conclusively can deliver much different results. I have found that Retin-A Micro is much better then Retin-A. Please differentiate whether you are using Retin-A or Retin-A Micro. Also the strength (.1 .01 or whatever)

Secondly, its important to set out with these posts with a stable perspective and not jump to conclusions. Also when posting, you might want to always give your age and the severity of your acne before commenting. From what it sounds like to me, after reading all these posts is if you have cystic/chronic acne, Retin-A or Retin-A Micro is not for you. I am in my early 20s now but I used to have mild to minor acne, nothing serious, and Retin-A Micro 0.1 for me seemed to work magically. Yes it works good for the first week and then you suffer from a prolonged period of breakouts but it pays off. Keep in mind that I am almost positive that this is only the case if you have mild or minor forms of acne. If you have severe acne, skip the crap and go to Accutane.

I find all this talk about how Retin-A Micro scars and this and that to be utterly bunk! Sounds to me that you guys arent using it right. USE AS DIRECTED! When the packaging says pea size amount, DO JUST THAT. And what the hell is this crap about wanting to use it twice a day? Are you insane? No wonder some of you are complaining about pealing because it sounds like you are using too much! Might as well put a cigarette out on your head. Let your skin relax for five minutes before bombing it with 40 different cleansers. Use something mild that is NOT MEDICATED!!! THAT MEANS BENZOIL PEROXIDE OR SALACYLIC ACID OR ANY OF THAT NONSENSE!!! Stay away from Nuetrogena and start using some girly gentle crap from Sephora.com for a cleanser or find something very gentle at your drugstore. And get a SPF15+Moisture lotion for your face.

Retin-A Micro is also very gentle and shouldnt be causing too much pealing at all. I know about 3 people who have used it and it worked beautifully for them too.

So what have we learned?

Retin-A Micro is great unless you have severe acne. Amazing for whitehead/blackhead types and getting your pores squeaky clean.

Use a pea size amount.

Use only a gentle cleanser/exfoliator along with gentle moisturizer+spf15.

Be patient.

First off, I'm 25 and my acne is moderate. I don't usually get a whole lot of cysts but now that I've been using this, I've been waking up to more and more of them, mainly along the jawline. Annoying, but hopefully this breakout phase will do it's stuff and I'll be better off in the long run.

Oh yes, I'm on Retin-A Micro (.1%) and I've not noticed a difference in oil. Just as oily as I have always been, I think. I'm also on my 2nd week of BC pills (ortho-tri-cyclen) and wonder if those could be another reason why I'm seeing so many zits on my jawline.

I've been on Retin-A before, but the gel was really harsh on my face and dried me out horribly. I went off it for awhile, but now I'm on RAM and I hope this microsponge delivery system won't be as harsh on me. We'll see, I guess.

hey,

sometimes the more you read about acne the more it controls your life, the less you really understand it.

i'm on retin-a (.025 i think). i wasn't keen to go on it because, as has been said, it dries your skin. my dermatologist said i should use it. all i can do is trust the dermatologist. i like reading these posts to stay 'informed', but partly it just makes me more worried about acne treatments full stop. i need nhs treatment so i can only do what the nhs dermatologist say. i ask questions, i argue this or that point with the dermatologist, but he still says i need to use retin a. so thats all i can do. if in a few months it has been an absolute disaster i will ask to change treatments. but, for now, i just have to carry on with it.

i think it's sensible to read all the view points on the various treatments, but don't act on them. print them out and take them with you to the dermatologist. ask him/her questions and don't be fobbed off. dermatologists have studied skin, we all just have our own experiences to go by, and by their nature, they don't apply equally to everyone as they are individual experiences.

there is no one perfect treatment and there is no cure. the task is to find a treatment that suits you.

best wishes,

TIM