Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi everyone!

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for a checkup/bloodtests before starting my course of accutane assuming they come out ok I'll be going on accutane around the end of the month. I have relatively severe cystic acne getting cysts getting up to about 2" in diameter on my face on or around my nose and roughly 20-30 cysts on my back shoulders and chests at least those are not visible. I get almost entirely cystic acne, almost no "traditional" acne.

I've been taking Bactrim DS twice daily probably for a record time of 9 years, it works very well to minimize the cystic acne, I tried going off it for a little while and go a huge breakout, it's mostly died down into smaller breakouts since going back on it. The acne is no longer going to go away with age(25 years old now) so I figure I should get off Bactrim someday, my Derm said it'd be a better idea to do Accutane than stay on Bactrim forever.

Assuming my blood tests with cholesterol testing don't show that Bactrim has not done anything super weird to my liver/cholesterol all these years I'll be going on accutane at the end of the month, 40MG for the first month, then 60 then 80 according to my derm. I'll try and keep as detailed and consistent of a log as possible, I haven't decided on posting pictures yet though.

I have aquaphor already purchased as well as nasal saline to hopefully combat bloody noses. I'll be getting Cetaphil once my skin starts drying out right now it's so oily it's hard to even imagine that. If anyone else recommends anything else I'll need while on it I'm all ears :). I'm still worried about the IB especially since I'm dropping the Bactrim and switching and the hair loss potential but I feel like I need to go on this regardless the results are supposed to be worthwhile.

Also do brands matter at all? I'm in the US so it'll be a generic brand not from Roche.

hi everyone!

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for a checkup/bloodtests before starting my course of accutane assuming they come out ok I'll be going on accutane around the end of the month. I have relatively severe cystic acne getting cysts getting up to about 2" in diameter on my face on or around my nose and roughly 20-30 cysts on my back shoulders and chests at least those are not visible. I get almost entirely cystic acne, almost no "traditional" acne.

I've been taking Bactrim DS twice daily probably for a record time of 9 years, it works very well to minimize the cystic acne, I tried going off it for a little while and go a huge breakout, it's mostly died down into smaller breakouts since going back on it. The acne is no longer going to go away with age(25 years old now) so I figure I should get off Bactrim someday, my Derm said it'd be a better idea to do Accutane than stay on Bactrim forever.

Assuming my blood tests with cholesterol testing don't show that Bactrim has not done anything super weird to my liver/cholesterol all these years I'll be going on accutane at the end of the month, 40MG for the first month, then 60 then 80 according to my derm. I'll try and keep as detailed and consistent of a log as possible, I haven't decided on posting pictures yet though.

I have aquaphor already purchased as well as nasal saline to hopefully combat bloody noses. I'll be getting Cetaphil once my skin starts drying out right now it's so oily it's hard to even imagine that. If anyone else recommends anything else I'll need while on it I'm all ears :). I'm still worried about the IB especially since I'm dropping the Bactrim and switching and the hair loss potential but I feel like I need to go on this regardless the results are supposed to be worthwhile.

Also do brands matter at all? I'm in the US so it'll be a generic brand not from Roche.

Good luck with starting! As far as brands go, I read someone that said that side effects are supposedly less on amnesteem, which happens to be what i am on. the first few days the side effects were definitely there, but they seem to have gone away. but i really think its just whatever your pharmacy gets. i dont think its supposed to matter. I am on Day 7 so by the time you start I will be able to answer more questions!

Good luck! I'm 26, so I know how frustrating it is having acne at this age! I'm having extremely good results, so I hope your course goes just as well.