Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

helloo there! was wandering if anyone able to give me advice on a couple of things. I have combination skin which is extremely oily - i have been using BP 4% which has cleared up the odd cluster of spots that i would get but my problem is blackheads!! since probably age of 16 i have has blackheads completely covering my nose and all of my cheeks and obviously all over my chin - the blackheads in turn just make my face look an absolute mess. The texture is horrible - my pores are huge and no matter what i do in regards to getting rid of them they are right back on my face the next day- i can literally sqeeze any part of my cheek and the grose stuff comes out- also my skin tone is awful so things like going on holiday and sunbathing (where i wouldnt wear makeup) i just feel like i look disgusting (kinda similar to a witch) i have tried EVERYTHING spent loads of money on various products, have had microdermabrasion and peels and nothing is working.i honestly wouldnt mind just having huge pores and blackheads on my nose its my cheeks which upset me the most - i makesure i dodge any cameras because no one wants to see my face in a photo and get paranoid if anyone looks at my face to long (including the boyfriend) i would like just some advice if anyone has had / having same problem..also how does removing makeup fit into dans regime as it normally takes ages for me just to remove my makeup *facewipe then facewash then toner - which takes a good 15mins!!!! many thanks guys XXX

I have the same problem! I used Clean and Clear blackhead scrub and instead of doing what it's supposed to do, it GAVE me blackheads and clogged pores alllllll over my face.

The regimen's BP won't help, nothing will help. I just bought Lac-Hydrin Five today in hopes that it will burn off the bumps and blackheads over the next few weeks.

I hate touching my face, it feels like rough sandpaper...

I'd like to see what others write back...

Have you tried mandelic acid? There's a thread about it here somewhere, but basically it's an awesome topical exfoliant that isn't very irritating compared to other acids, largely because of the larger molecular structure. This means that it doesn't penetrate the skin as deep like glycolic acid, making it a good choice for people who need constant exfoliation to prevent clogged pores, with minimal/no irritation. It's been awesome for preventing and treating my blackheads and jaw line acne.

Edited by tim12

Guest Timehealsall
Have you tried mandelic acid? There's a thread about it here somewhere, but basically it's an awesome topical exfoliant that isn't very irritating compared to other acids, largely because of the larger molecular structure. This means that it doesn't penetrate the skin as deep like glycolic acid, making it a good choice for people who need constant exfoliation to prevent clogged pores, with minimal/no irritation. It's been awesome for preventing and treating my blackheads and jaw line acne.

what type of mandelic acid do you use?

O.P, i have read that accutane works perfectly for your issue

what type of mandelic acid do you use?

O.P, i have read that accutane works perfectly for your issue

Timehealsall, use those recommended by LionQueen. I have used GOW for some time now and it works great. Maybe they will lose effects after few months, which I did before but you have no choice left. Try it.

OP you should try it too. the recommended products are listed here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Clearing-...in-t130593.html

Give it a shot.

helloo there! was wandering if anyone able to give me advice on a couple of things. I have combination skin which is extremely oily - i have been using BP 4% which has cleared up the odd cluster of spots that i would get but my problem is blackheads!! since probably age of 16 i have has blackheads completely covering my nose and all of my cheeks and obviously all over my chin - the blackheads in turn just make my face look an absolute mess. The texture is horrible - my pores are huge and no matter what i do in regards to getting rid of them they are right back on my face the next day- i can literally sqeeze any part of my cheek and the grose stuff comes out- also my skin tone is awful so things like going on holiday and sunbathing (where i wouldnt wear makeup) i just feel like i look disgusting (kinda similar to a witch) i have tried EVERYTHING spent loads of money on various products, have had microdermabrasion and peels and nothing is working.i honestly wouldnt mind just having huge pores and blackheads on my nose its my cheeks which upset me the most - i makesure i dodge any cameras because no one wants to see my face in a photo and get paranoid if anyone looks at my face to long (including the boyfriend) i would like just some advice if anyone has had / having same problem..also how does removing makeup fit into dans regime as it normally takes ages for me just to remove my makeup *facewipe then facewash then toner - which takes a good 15mins!!!! many thanks guys XXX

Plus dont overwash your face. It stimulates more oil production and my derm told me that when you feel you face is so clean, it has already been overwashed.

I favor GoW over other brands since they use no dyes or sketchy ingredients, and they also have sample sizes of various concentrations. I get the no seaweed no alcohol one. My face feels as smooth as when I used Murads Aha/Bha cleanser, but without the dryness.

There's a lot you can try for blackheads. Mandelic acid was already mentioned, getting peels and extractions done by a reputable skincare clinic..

You can try a retinoid from a dermatologist, Paula's Choice BHA products are popular, my Mychelle serum personally helped my blackheads by quite a bit, Aztec healing clay,Green cream,clarisonic...

Blackheads and sebaceous filaments are extremely difficult to get rid of, and you have to be consistent with your routine.

Blackheads and sebaceous filaments are extremely difficult to get rid of, and you have to be consistent with your routine.

This is absolutely true, When I used steaming+clay masks as my main method of controlling blackheads, I had to do it every week or else they came back with a vengeance. I still like to do my clay masks+steaming, but now I don't need to worry about them as much with mandelic.

And also, I'd like to agree to the whole everyone's skin is different thing, so don't feel down if something doesn't work for you that works for someone else!

cool cheers everyone - well have been sat here for hours looking at info and have decided to try some of paula's choice 2% bha liquid :) exciting - pretty pricey though. @ £20 !! thinks will have to wait until payday!! haha nearly had a heart attack as thought you could only order from overseas went to checkout shipping totalled it to like $48 !! omg then found UK site :) woop

Edited by kimie

Guest Timehealsall

i don't think you can get rid of sebacious filaments. So if you have them, you are pretty much stuck with them

i don't think you can get rid of sebacious filaments. So if you have them, you are pretty much stuck with them

People can minimize them through extractions, dermarolling, exfoliation, things like that. The key is to manage them before they get large and further expand the pore. I've only seen accutane get rid of them though.

Guest Timehealsall

People can minimize them through extractions, dermarolling, exfoliation, things like that. The key is to manage them before they get large and further expand the pore. I've only seen accutane get rid of them though.

what? I thought sebacious filaments do not/cannot expand the pore?

Is a paulas choice bha 2 liquid enough for these things (or can it be enough)?

I remember reading it somewhere, but I could be wrong. I do know that my pores have definitely gotten smaller, including the ones that host sebaceous filaments on my nose. ALA is also supposed to help, in theory it speeds up cellular metabolism according to Dr.Perricone, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm not sure about the Paula's BHA, some people have had success with it, I remember LionQueen recommending it in a thread. Sebaceous filaments are like super blackheads though :lol:

Guest Timehealsall
I remember reading it somewhere, but I could be wrong. I do know that my pores have definitely gotten smaller, including the ones that host sebaceous filaments on my nose. ALA is also supposed to help, in theory it speeds up cellular metabolism according to Dr.Perricone, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm not sure about the Paula's BHA, some people have had success with it, I remember LionQueen recommending it in a thread. Sebaceous filaments are like super blackheads though :lol:

let me ask you this, once a sebacious filamenet comes out, how long does it take for it to full back in (on average)?

Super blackhead? So it looks like a blackhead??

I don't think the O.P. knows wat ALA is hehe

They can look like blackheads, yeah. But they aren't as simple to extract. My mom's esthetician extracted the few she had, and has her using a glycolic acid lotion nightly, and they've never came back since. Mine on the other hand have been getting smaller, and I steam before I extract them. They've been getting smaller over the past month or so, and they're honestly negligible now. When my face appeared much oilier, the pores/filaments looked much larger, and had much more gunk that was extracted.

I'd say that that they come back in a couple days if I'm not persistent with exfoliation, though I haven't quite gotten my routine down, so I do steaming/extractions every week.

The ALA I'm referring to is alpha lipoic acid.

Edited by tim12

Yeah - you were correct I had no idea wat ALA was!!!! Maybe I should try accutane then - have been reading some stuff on it and most of the reviews confirm that it pushes them out! The only thing is everytime I go to the doctor about my face I get kinda fobbed off i suppose - doctor says 'everyone gets spots at some point in their life' and 'there is nothing we can do about your oily skin' how on earth am I gonna get accutane seeing as there are no huge beasts on my face as the bp has destroyed them - ideas ladies and gents :)

Edited by kimie

Tried steaming your face?

Before any of those chemical exfoliates are going to work you need to make sure your pores are open, otherwise they won't touch stubborn blackheads.

Edited by pegz

whats the best method for steaming? Do you cleanse first then drape your head under a towel and over a bowl of hot water? Then do you apply the aztec clay mask?

hola - i got my sample from paulas choice - the 2% bha and have applied it 3times so far and now nearly ran out!!- i steamed my face last night and then applied it and my skin felt so soft in the morning- i believe i have noticed a differance in the texture of my skin already it seems differant .. good differant :) have ordered a bottle now - am tres excited about this ... hopefully it will clear up the blocked pore sess pitt that is my face :) fingers crossed