Notifications
Clear all

Splotchy Skin

MemberMember
(@ance101)

Posted : 07/17/2011 12:00 am

The skin on my neck/back is very splotchy.

What is it? How can I get rid of it?

Thank you!

post-154434-1310878887_thumb.jpg

post-154434-1310878887_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 07/17/2011 2:48 pm

It looks like it could of been from peeling or sunburn. This does go away fairly fast by itself, and you can speed up the healing process by applying a chemical exfoliation or aloe vera.

Manual Exfoliation is also another method, but be sure to be gentle.

MemberMember
(@ance101)

Posted : 07/17/2011 10:09 pm

It looks like it could of been from peeling or sunburn. This does go away fairly fast by itself, and you can speed up the healing process by applying a chemical exfoliation or aloe vera.

Manual Exfoliation is also another method, but be sure to be gentle.

Thanks for the rapid reply!

I don't think its a sunburn. There is no peeling. My skin's been splotchy like this for months.

How do I manually exfoliate my skin though?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@manticore)

Posted : 07/18/2011 6:26 am

My first thought was mild Vitiligo.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 07/19/2011 3:27 pm

Did you notice anything prior to developing them?

Manual exfoliation is the physical process of removing dead skin cells using a product with a grainy substance or a cloth with a rough surface. So for instance a loofah or gentle bristle brush.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/19/2011 3:31 pm

Wow, strange! Hmm. Not sunburn? I'd see a derm.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 07/19/2011 3:35 pm

Vitiligo is also another possibility, although that heals quite slowly. If the OP is not noticing any peeling whatsoever, then that could be the problem.

After reading a little about the issue, sunscreen should be a must for you if you are going to be out in the sun.

Hydroquinone is more likely to be used for such to treat.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 07/19/2011 3:37 pm

Wow, strange! Hmm. Not sunburn? I'd see a derm.

Yes, seeing a dermatologist is a great option for a more professional diagnosis if it is bothering you, as we are merely strangers on a website.

MemberMember
(@stavs16)

Posted : 07/19/2011 11:03 pm

going to put my money on tinea versicolor. It's caused by a fungus that lives on the skin, I've so far had 2 episodes of this, after you kill the fungus it could takes several weeks or months for the skin to go back to normal. Since I'm usually tanned, the easiest way i can tell if the fungus is dead is if the blotchy white patches gain color from going out in the sun. After its gone, easiest way to keep it gone is with a anti fungals, ( i just use candida cleanse formula because it normally has several different anti fungals which are usually effective.)

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 07/20/2011 11:13 am

going to put my money on tinea versicolor. It's caused by a fungus that lives on the skin, I've so far had 2 episodes of this, after you kill the fungus it could takes several weeks or months for the skin to go back to normal. Since I'm usually tanned, the easiest way i can tell if the fungus is dead is if the blotchy white patches gain color from going out in the sun. After its gone, easiest way to keep it gone is with a anti fungals, ( i just use candida cleanse formula because it normally has several different anti fungals which are usually effective.)

There may be a possibility that tanning the skin could darken the pigmentation.

MemberMember
(@baladii)

Posted : 11/07/2012 6:47 am

Yep, that is tinea versicolor...I was diagnosed with that by my derm a couple months ago and he gave me a cream for it. Makes me wonder if there is justification behind candida and funal overgrowth as a root cause of acne...of course not in every case because we know it's complex, but still