Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TLC010204

I don't want to take antibiotics forever!

Could someone PLEASE help me?! I am 18 years old and have been on antibiotics for acne since I was 12. I have seen four different dermatologists and have been prescribed EVERYTHING (benzamycen, benzaclin, differin gel, retin-A, proactive, doxycyclen, tetracyclen, minicyclen, ortho-tri-cyclen(birth control), and probably others I can’t remember). Every time a dermatologist would prescribe me something it would usually work for a little while but then the acne would show up again. Finally, about eight months ago I went to a new dermatologist and she told me that my problem was a yeast infection under the skin. She prescribed me bactrim and told me to take it for six months and then see how my skin was doing. Within the first week my skin improved drastically and I had never had such clear skin in my life. I loved it and felt so good about myself. Then, at six months, because my skin was so clear, I tried to go off of the bactrim. But about a week after I went off of it the acne showed up again. I have now been off of it for about two months and my skin is back to where it was before. I have tons of small pimples and clogged pores, as well as huge cystic pimples that are filled with yellow infection…sorry to gross anyone out. I have great hygiene and keep my skin clean, I eat a healthy vegetarian diet, drink plenty of water, exercise regularly, and I get plenty of sleep. I have tried everything and I don't know what the problem is!!! I don't want to be on antibiotics for the rest of my life. I've been on them for six years and I've heard bad things about long-term use of antibiotics. My mom is 38 and still had acne until last year when she went on accutane. I’ve heard bad things about that too and don’t want to have to take it. What should I do? Should I go back on bactrim and have clear skin again??? Please Help!!!

I would suggest either going back on it or taking Accutane. Talk to your doctor about long-term problems w/ taking the antibiotic that worked for you.

tlco- your story is exactly like mine, bactrim did awesome for me too, but my acne came back after going off it (worse) .. if you get a chance.. look in the 'diet/holistic health' section of this website, an read my post titled 'what has cleared me 99% in one week" this is the only thing so far that has really helped me, but its a long story, but it may help you.

try finding an expert dermatologist in your area...

where i live, california, there seems to be a specialized medical care/research facility for every ailment of man... usually located at a university or hospital. hopefully, you can find an expert derm to determine if you really have a yeast infection or just acne... this might involve a simple lesion biopsy followed by laboratory analysis.

in the meantime you could experiment along with me and try using active manuka honey to fight infection. manuka honey is a natural remedy that has been shown to heal chronic wounds, because its a powerful antimicrobial agent. its effective against a number of bacteria, yeast, and fungi. it also improves healing and reduces scarring because it creates a moist environment. my plan is to apply it under a dressing every night.

about manuka honey: http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/contents.shtml

Try "Primal Defense" It is a probiotic that is really effective against yeast. I don't understand why a Dr. would prescribe an antibiotic for yeast-antibiotics fuel yeast.

The same manufacturer makes "Fungal defense." Take that first, and then move onto the Primal defense.

You can get them at health food stores, Whole Foods Stores, or wild oats. Also, go to gardenoflife.com and it will tell you where you can buy them.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try the fungal defense and then the primal defense like emmanual said. I looked it up and it sounds pretty good. I hope it works!

If your only 18 and you have tried all those meds, you have not used them properly, like most people who say "nothing has worked". Almost every topical med and oral antibiotic out there will work if given proper time and patience. Accutane is a last resort. You dont see many people who do not respond to the meds you mentioned..

Smoothbeamin.... cool.gif

I took them exactly how the doctors said to and even looked up the medications to make sure that was how they were to be taken (certain times, with water, empty stomache, etc.) I gave them all enough time. I was on each one for a year or two and in the beginning they did work but after a while I guess my body just got used to them and they stopped working.

If your only 18 and you have tried all those meds, you have not used them properly, like most people who say "nothing has worked". Almost every topical med and oral antibiotic out there will work if given proper time and patience. Accutane is a last resort. You dont see many people who do not respond to the meds you mentioned..

Smoothbeamin.... cool.gif

In my opinion, you can save yourself a lot of pain with accutane. Everyone I know of that has taken it has never had an acne relapse after a single 80-100mg/day course of accutane.

Everything else is hit and miss.