Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eastie

How long was it before you acne came back after Roaccutane treatment?

I am observing that most people who cured acne with Accutane and are happy with it did not wait until 4 years and claim that it cures acne forever...

If it was 4 or more years since you cured yourself with this poison,tell me-was it FOREVER effective,even moderately,not entirely? (and are you male or female because the eefectiveness for females seem to be very low..even if their hormones are in the range of normal)

I am starting to think that all this Roacutane's effectiveness is a big lie.They used to say it's 90 per cent effective a few years ago,now they claim it's only 70 per cent. This is funny,because personally I know 4 people taking it and only one of them had it cured forever and he was already 40 years old when he took it! Me and my 2 friends took it and the acne came back the same bad or even worse after some time,in my case it was 2 years but it was my second treatment ,During these 2 years the acne was very light,but still it WAS there,the skin was entirely clean only during treatment. After two years I was exactly in the same point as before treatment and I am not going to take it once more because the 3rd treatment would be just senseless poisoining myself.I don't believe it is more effective with every next treatment as my derm says ,it is just marketing...and she is just helpless.

In my case it was just 2 years of better skin but not really worth the health issues it can bring sometime.

I finished Roaccutane course in January. But here I am, just washed my face 2 times in a row and I have lots of acne again. Actually planning to go to make a call to derm, make a visit, go on 2nd course? I pretty much have to wash my face 3 times a day now, super oily.

I know what you say, my face was also clean *during* the course, and some 2-3 months after. But everything comes back.

I did accutane about 4 years ago, and it was entirely ineffective. I'm a woman. I don't remember having clear skin for more than a month or so before it all started coming back as bad as before. All it left is dry eyes and dry scalp, and whatever poison it deposits in the body. I agree, it's poison.

I would never go on it again, and I'm sorry, but anyone who goes on it once and it doesn't work, and then goes on it again is a fool. I don't say that to be mean, but because I care and don't want people poisoning their bodies again and again for no reason. Sometimes people need to be slapped into realization. I've Never heard of anyone being cured after the second or third or fourth time. If it doesn't work the first time, it's not going to work ever. Your acne has to be cured some other way.

I'm convinced that dermatologists are completely useless. They never told me about the acne-dairy connection, or the acne-digestion connection, or the benefits of green smoothies, yet all these things I found out through my own research and as a result, changing my diet has helped my acne more than anything else ever has. While I still struggle with acne, I'm fairing better than before (and I'm only at the beginning of improving my diet, so I have yet to see how much my acne can improve), and my overall health is benefiting from eating right.

The healthcare system in this country is not geared towards preventative health, it's all about throwing chemical pills at a problem after it occurs in order to satisfy the pharmaceutical lobbies. Natural preventative care, mainly through diet and exercise, is the best bet, and it's the least risky. Please think twice about going on Accutane again, and don't blindly trust your dermatologist. Unfortunately, they don't always have our best interests at heart.

can u desribe your diet? and exercise-really?for acne?

as for diet.I love milk and all made of milk,how could I drop it?;/

anyway,desribe your diet precisely.

can u desribe your diet? and exercise-really?for acne?

as for diet.I love milk and all made of milk,how could I drop it?;/

anyway,desribe your diet precisely.

I also used to think I loved dairy too much to ever cut it out of my diet. I LOVE cheese, yogurt, ice cream, all of it. But once I got desperate enough to try going off dairy, and once I saw how much that helped, i decided it was worth it. Before that I never had control over acne, but going off dairy gave me more control...power is everything. Luckily now there are so many alternatives to dairy - i LOVE whole foods vanilla almond milk. After trying it, I never again missed cow's milk, in fact the thought of cow's milk now makes me nauseous. There's awesome coconut milk ice cream at whole foods. I'm still searching for good cheese and yogurt substitutes, because I can't have soy either (has the same effect on my acne as milk)

It's hard to list my diet because I switch it up a lot. But this is what's consistent:

- No dairy,

- as little sugar as possible, though I do have a small bit of dark chocolate to satisfy my sweet tooth,

- GREEN SMOOTHIES to get all the important nutrients from greens and balance my hormones,

- fiber/ probiotic pills for digestion

- zinc pills to reduce inflammation

- fish oil for Omega 3's to balance hormones

- protein from eggs, chicken, fish, sometimes beef

Rough outline of my diet:

Morning - green smoothie (look it up - easy, amazing drink esp. if you hate salad like i do)

Fiber/probiotic pills

Zinc

B vitamin

Fish oil

I switch off between egg, oatmeal (with almond milk), and cereal for breakfast

Lunch

Usually a chicken, fish, or turkey sandwich or dish

Dinner

Meat dish again with rice

Green smoothie again

Fiber and zinc pills

I exercise 4-5 days a week for at least 30-40 minutes either playing a sport or swimming. Great for stress release and making you happier, which is important for helping acne. For me though it's more about just having fun. On days I don't go outside, I stretch and/or do yoga. Start slow though, do exercises you enjoy so that you want to keep doing them.

If you want to know why I take each of the supplements I do, just google them or look them up in the acne.org discussion boards. It's worth educating yourself about how diet affects acne. It takes a LOT of trial and error, because what works for one person may not work for another. You just need to have tenacity and patience, but once you start seeing results, you'll realize how useless all the chemicals and creams and soaps are that dermatologist push.

I think people with acne just have be more careful with diet than others. It's not "fair", but neither is being diagnosed with diabetes or cancer. We just gotta make the best of our situations, and in fact, I'm thankful that this whole process has made me a healthy eater. It's improved my energy, mood, and it will hopefully help prevent health issues down the road. Good luck!

hi there. i posted on this forum a long time ago.

i would say accutane cured me... it took 4 courses... and looking back it was worth the pain.. i dont have to worry daily face care regimes.

your results depend on your dosage... (my dose got higher and higher with each course)

also the length of course matters...

every course weaken the sebacious gland ability to produce oil. I basically stopped when the results were good.

i do have a pimple here and there but its rare... no cysts...

i know how hard it is too deal with severe acne, so stay postive and hang in there...

Another way to think about it... suppose u stop treatment and you get cysts back...

cystic acne will lead to scarring... for me it made sense to do another course to prevent severe scarring.

i found no tropical treatment very effective on cysts.

thats my opinion... every one has there own idea... hope this helps.

hi there. i posted on this forum a long time ago.

i would say accutane cured me... it took 4 courses... and looking back it was worth the pain.. i dont have to worry daily face care regimes.

your results depend on your dosage... (my dose got higher and higher with each course)

also the length of course matters...

every course weaken the sebacious gland ability to produce oil. I basically stopped when the results were good.

i do have a pimple here and there but its rare... no cysts...

i know how hard it is too deal with severe acne, so stay postive and hang in there...

Another way to think about it... suppose u stop treatment and you get cysts back...

cystic acne will lead to scarring... for me it made sense to do another course to prevent severe scarring.

i found no tropical treatment very effective on cysts.

thats my opinion... every one has there own idea... hope this helps.

thats scary because I suppose 4 courses of accutane would literally kill my liver which is delicate :)

tell me how old r u now and when did you have each course and what dosage did you take each time?

When was your last treatment with Accutane and how can you know it will not come back anymore?

I was clear for about 6 years after my first course of Accutane. I still broke out with cysts ever now and then, but my break outs were not as severe as they were before Accutane.

After 6 years, my break outs became more severe. I tried going back on Accutane but my body didn't react well so I decided to stop.

I was clear for about 6 years after my first course of Accutane. I still broke out with cysts ever now and then, but my break outs were not as severe as they were before Accutane.

After 6 years, my break outs became more severe. I tried going back on Accutane but my body didn't react well so I decided to stop.

thanks for sharing.so where are u know with your acne?did you manage to clear it a little with some other than Accutane treatments?

eastie and everyone, i wanted to share with you two fantastic websites that are helping me enormously in holistically healing my acne: www.thelovevitamin.com (written by a former acne.org poster) and www.clear-for-life.com. Over time I've gone from believing in chemicals and medicines to believing in holistic healing, because I've had far more success with the latter and it just makes more sense. I wish I had discovered this method looong ago, so I wanted to share it with you now. It's well worth looking through and opening your mind up to the possibility that emotional healing can play a huge role in healing our acne (in addition to diet and exercise).

thanks for sharing.so where are u know with your acne?did you manage to clear it a little with some other than Accutane treatments?

My last Accutane course only lasted two months. I quit back in May and I've been clear since then. However, since I quit early I'm guessing my acne will return eventually.

I've been trying to eat well and take supplements as a preventative measure. Because my last Accutane course was so recent, I think it's too early to tell whether diet and supplements have done much for my acne. I will try to keep you posted though.

Great idea for a thread. I've been curious myself about how many people remain acne-free 5-10 years after Accutane. The inquiry is complicated by the fact that some, perhaps even many, Accutane patients would have "outgrown" their acne naturally over time, and thus it's difficult to tell whether Accutane actually caused their remission.

My last Accutane course only lasted two months. I quit back in May and I've been clear since then. However, since I quit early I'm guessing my acne will return eventually.

I've been trying to eat well and take supplements as a preventative measure. Because my last Accutane course was so recent, I think it's too early to tell whether diet and supplements have done much for my acne. I will try to keep you posted though.

Great idea for a thread. I've been curious myself about how many people remain acne-free 5-10 years after Accutane. The inquiry is complicated by the fact that some, perhaps even many, Accutane patients would have "outgrown" their acne naturally over time, and thus it's difficult to tell whether Accutane actually caused their remission.

My personal experience these days is that very rarely people grow out of acne.If somebody has it since,lets say ,their 12th year of life and a severe type ,the would probably struggle it until their old years:(