Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
juniorhasacne

My (masterbation) abstinence attempt!!!

ashley he clearly doesn't care for your input so go masturbate and leave his thread alone.

junior i believe i'm in the same boat as you except i haven't been able to abstain for long enough to make a significant difference in my acne. i can quit for over week and start seeing improvements but as the weekend comes around and i find myself bored i usually give in and do it.

if you exercise daily you will be able to release your "tension" in a healthy way and if you workout hard enough you won't even want to masturbate. exercise is also a better way to relieve stress and make you feel better without masturbating. so next time your mind starts to wander to sexual thoughts, just drop what your doing and go for a run.

Edited by pinkunicorn
Yet you actually cannot know if this specific variable is a culprit. You simply assume, and are thus stating that it is a definite issue. Chances are you will cave in, as mostly everyone does considering sex is a basic need for humans. Then you will believe that your skin looks worse because you masturbated once, and then you will continue on with the cycle. Much better to simply cut back than to completely stop something that is more than healthy for your body and mind.

The "healthy for the body and mind" is not necessarily true... whenever I abstain for prolonged periods (prolonged meaning... a week?), I feel like I'm on top of the world. Lots of energy, lots of drive, lots of confidence, massive gains in the weight room simply because I'm able to push past my limits. It's the testosterone buildup that does it.

What's definitely unhealthy is feeling guilty after you've masturbated / had sex, which seems like an expected outcome of connecting one's acne with one's wanking habits. If you want to abstain, by all means, go for it. But if you slip up, don't chastise yourself over it. Just keep on trucking. If you don't, the stress you experience afterwards might be exactly what is causing your acne, and not the actual orgasm/ejaculation/whatnot.

On another note, an interesting experiment I want to try is seeing whether there is a connection between the length of masturbation sessions and acne. I know some people (myself included) are into "edging" - prolonging their sessions by stopping right before climax, taking a brief respite, then repeating the process. What if I was to simply get it over with and get on with my day? Doing it quickly and out of necessity rather than being all like "great, back from work, time to choke the bishop for six hours straight"? I assume that constantly approaching orgasm and then suddenly stopping would be driving hormones crazy! I'll give it a shot, and if I see any results with this, I'll report back here or in one of the other masturbation / acne threads dotting this forum like pimples on an oily face.

Juniorhasacne, if you want do abstain completely, by all means, do it. Don't let anyone dissuade you from it. Just make sure your life doesn't revolve around it. Don't spend your time counting the minutes since your last wank. And, if you slip up, no big deal. The less stressful this whole process is for you, the better chance you have of seeing results.

And you decided to take a confrontational tone over my comments because? I work out. When I was working out 5-6 days a week, I still felt the urge to masturbate, and still felt sexual urges in general. This is a sign of a healthy sex drive. Exercise does not remove sex drive. So you are basically saying that sex and masturbation are unhealthy ways of de-stressing, despite the fact that it's been proven to actually have healthy benefits for the body, such as with prostate cancer.

There is nothing unhealthy about sexual urges. Especially if they are released in a healthy fashion: masturbation or safe-sex with someone you care about.

I agree about the whole sex drive thing, but I do want to point out that the average male has a nice little tool in their abstinence arsenal called a wet dream (I know some chicks get 'em too... the lucky few). If you don't masturbate, chances are wet dreams will eventually kick in, and get rid of the stuff for you. So, greatly reduced risk of prostate cancer. However, this is a blow to people who are inclined to think that orgasm/ejaculation causes their acne... if you don't do it yourself, your body's gonna do it for you.

On a different note, I still think that the "edging theory" outlined in my previous post may have some substance, and it's something that you can try regardless of whether you want to abstain or keep on choking the chicken. I encourage any male who thinks there may be a correlation between their wankery and those annoying spots on their visage to give the theory a shot.

So while we're at it. Let's abstain from anything that encourages a fluctuation in hormone levels, let's stop growing!! Let's stop eating and excercising!!! In fact, let's just cut our balls off so we don't have to deal with testosterone!!

no but seriously... go fondle your balls. We're just trying to help you, quitting masturbating will not stop your acne! Don't stress about it.

Excercising is a great way to release testosterone but it sure as hell isn't going to stop your sexual urges! If you still want to go ahead with this, the only way you'll succeed is by supressing your libido with your superhuman powers! Unless your a monk then you will be bleeding the lizard in no time!

My acne is hormonal and getting off 100% definitively exacerbates my acne. I've tested this time and time again. I am not going to stop because of it because that'd just be mentally unhealthy, but there is no refuting it in my case. A lot of times though I do abstain from it for a week at a time or so and I find that I'm a lot more motivated with my work, in the gym, etc... generally I do feel healthier mentally when I'm not but if I'm not hitting it up once in a while its probably because I'm excited about something that much. Btw, masturbation is kind of crap compared to actual sex either way. There are also hormones given off by females in the vaginal fluids(scientifically proven) that counter the androgens we have in our system. That could explain why I dont break out as much when I'm actually getting laid which is weird but eh... whatever :P Its really not worth shifting your life around for acne... at most change your soap and moisturizer to something with the skin's natural ph(but even then your tap water that you shower with will change the level either way), drink water and try a medication or two and then bust out accutane and get rid of it and move on with life if nothing else works(or just move on and nothing works lol), at least for me that's how I see it. But stop getting off? noo way :P

Edited by robiii

I've gone like 3 months without masturbating and my skin was the best it's ever been, but there were other factors involved. It was really easy for me becase I was living pretty much without any privacy, and I was constantly busy so I wasn't thinking about it. I think that's probably the key if this is going to work, you need to keep your mind busy. Maybe take the door off your bed room and shower too hahahah

And you decided to take a confrontational tone over my comments because? I work out. When I was working out 5-6 days a week, I still felt the urge to masturbate, and still felt sexual urges in general. This is a sign of a healthy sex drive. Exercise does not remove sex drive. So you are basically saying that sex and masturbation are unhealthy ways of de-stressing, despite the fact that it's been proven to actually have healthy benefits for the body, such as with prostate cancer.

There is nothing unhealthy about sexual urges. Especially if they are released in a healthy fashion: masturbation or safe-sex with someone you care about.

I agree about the whole sex drive thing, but I do want to point out that the average male has a nice little tool in their abstinence arsenal called a wet dream (I know some chicks get 'em too... the lucky few). If you don't masturbate, chances are wet dreams will eventually kick in, and get rid of the stuff for you. So, greatly reduced risk of prostate cancer. However, this is a blow to people who are inclined to think that orgasm/ejaculation causes their acne... if you don't do it yourself, your body's gonna do it for you.

On a different note, I still think that the "edging theory" outlined in my previous post may have some substance, and it's something that you can try regardless of whether you want to abstain or keep on choking the chicken. I encourage any male who thinks there may be a correlation between their wankery and those annoying spots on their visage to give the theory a shot.

I do believe that most who view a correlation view it as the hormonal shifts that occur during the act are what cause acne. And I'd assume that whatever hormonal changes occur when masturbating or having sex would be similar to a wet dream. And I'd assume that if you seriously deprive yourself, you'd likely get quite a few of those. Much better to just masturbate when you really feel sexual tension building (and no amount of other activities will rid you of sexual tension in the long-run, unless something happens to kill your sex drive entirely, in which case what a sad existence).

I just don't see this (abstaining from masturbation) as a practical solution. what will you do when you get married or are in a serious relationship? Will you just hold hands together and then go hit the gym any time you feel like having sex? I doubt you'd want to just keep sex to once or twice a year, or even just once or twice a month if you are quite young. No idea waht your theory was, I am too lazy to check back. But if it means not completely avoiding sexual acts, then I'm all for it.

When I tried abstaining, my wet dreams kicked in within a week, and I then proceeded to get one around every 2-3 days. So it just replaced my usual masturbation schedule pretty much.

My theory was that total abstinence is difficult and maybe even unnecessary. And for those of us who get wet dreams, abstaining from ejaculation / orgasm is impossible. I was just thinking that perhaps getting it over with quickly rather than prolonging your session ("edging") would limit the amount of hormone fluctuation that occurs and thus minimize the amount of acne you get. All I know is, my acne seemed to spiral out of its normal "teenage pimples" state and into the "crazy cysts" state as soon as I realized that the longer it lasted, the more enjoyable it ended up being.

I'm also going to try to get back to a "normal" sleep schedule, meaning 11pm-7am or maybe even 10pm-6am. Right now I'm at 4am-11am which probably isn't the healthiest thing out there.

So while we're at it. Let's abstain from anything that encourages a fluctuation in hormone levels, let's stop growing!! Let's stop eating and excercising!!! In fact, let's just cut our balls off so we don't have to deal with testosterone!!

no but seriously... go fondle your balls. We're just trying to help you, quitting masturbating will not stop your acne! Don't stress about it.

Excercising is a great way to release testosterone but it sure as hell isn't going to stop your sexual urges! If you still want to go ahead with this, the only way you'll succeed is by supressing your libido with your superhuman powers! Unless your a monk then you will be bleeding the lizard in no time!

My last boyfriend didn't masturbate at all, and was a virgin when we met. He did it mostly for religious reasons. So I think that if the intent is something based on ideologies, it's a lot easier to manage those urges without masturbating. But for others, and for those who have already been masturbating, it will likely not be all that easy to refrain from doing so at least from time to time.

Well, there is more motivation I would imagine, i would also imagine it would be equally as difficult if not more difficult to maintain such disciplined lifestyle ( not a bad thing, just sayin ).

To get a bit off topic, I was raised in a christian environment and went to a christian school. I actually remember when I first discovered masturbation I felt so guilty about it, even a youth leader at church told me it was wrong. I met a pastor of a church once who told me masturbation was a gift for those who can't have sex in the sanctity of marriage ( marriage outside of sex is wrong if you are a christian ). As the bible does not elude to masturbation at all, it is perceived to be wrong and as an act of lust. It's interesting necause it's possible to masturbate without sexual fantasy or lust, to masturbate for the sheer sake of controlling sexual urges. Anyway probably hijacking this thread! By the way ashley, "my boyfriend WAS a virgin when we met" lol, you devil you!!

To get a bit off topic, I was raised in a christian environment and went to a christian school. I actually remember when I first discovered masturbation I felt so guilty about it, even a youth leader at church told me it was wrong. I met a pastor of a church once who told me masturbation was a gift for those who can't have sex in the sanctity of marriage ( marriage outside of sex is wrong if you are a christian ). As the bible does not elude to masturbation at all, it is perceived to be wrong and as an act of lust. It's interesting necause it's possible to masturbate without sexual fantasy or lust, to masturbate for the sheer sake of controlling sexual urges.

<< Click Here :dance::whistle: Edited by Patrick
To get a bit off topic, I was raised in a christian environment and went to a christian school. I actually remember when I first discovered masturbation I felt so guilty about it, even a youth leader at church told me it was wrong. I met a pastor of a church once who told me masturbation was a gift for those who can't have sex in the sanctity of marriage ( marriage outside of sex is wrong if you are a christian ). As the bible does not elude to masturbation at all, it is perceived to be wrong and as an act of lust. It's interesting necause it's possible to masturbate without sexual fantasy or lust, to masturbate for the sheer sake of controlling sexual urges.

:dance::whistle:

Every sperm is good! If a sperm gets wasted, in your neighbourhood! Please tell me you know what song we are singing... lol

edit: Haha, beat! I forgot it was monty python!

Edited by aussieboycurt