Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I've been feeling really down and lifeless because of my acne quite recently, and I seem to be looking at this small list of problems a lot, which I believe to have all of.

Is anybody else suffering from these problems because of their Acne?

Self esteem and body image

Some embarrassed acne patients avoid eye contact.

Some acne sufferers grow their hair long to cover the face. Girls tend to wear heavy make-up to disguise the pimples, even though they know this sometimes aggravates the condition. Boys often comment, "acne is not such a problem for girls because they can wear make-up".

Truncal acne can reduce participation in sport such as swimming or rugby because of the need to disrobe in public changing rooms.

Social withdrawal/relationship building

Acne, especially when it affects the face, provokes cruel taunts from other teenagers.

Some find it hard to form new relationships, especially with the opposite sex.

At a time when teenagers are learning to form relationships, those with acne may lack the self-confidence to go out and make these bonds. They become shy and even reclusive. The main concern is a fear of negative appraisal by others. in extreme cases a social phobia can develop.

Education/work

Some refuse to go school leading to poor academic performance and possibly future unemployment.

Some take "sick days" from work, risking their jobs or livelihood.

Acne may reduce career choices, ruling out occupations such as modelling that depend upon personal appearance.

Acne patients are less successful in job applications; their lack of confidence being as important as the potential employers' reaction to their spotty skin.

More people who have acne are unemployed than people who do not have acne are.

Many young adults with acne seek medical help as they enter the workforce, where they perceive that acne is unacceptable and that they "should have grown out of it by now".

I feel alone with this problem and I just want to go back to the time when I didn't have this horrible skin condition. :cry:

And even though I only have mild-moderate acne, it has a firm grasp on my life right now.

I truly f***ing hate Acne :evil:

haha yeah.... for sure. i gave up on even trying to get a boyfriend. i'd wallow all the time about never getting a date because my skin was so bad. and because my skin was so bad i got depressed, didn't act like myself...

i'm still kind of getting through it all. acne can really suck the life out of you. you question everyones stare and assume they're judging you. i've skipped class and given up during semesters because of the lack of self esteem.

gotta push through it. that's what this website is for :)

i feel ya.

haha yeah.... for sure. i gave up on even trying to get a boyfriend. i'd wallow all the time about never getting a date because my skin was so bad. and because my skin was so bad i got depressed, didn't act like myself...

i'm still kind of getting through it all. acne can really suck the life out of you. you question everyones stare and assume they're judging you. i've skipped class and given up during semesters because of the lack of self esteem.

gotta push through it. that's what this website is for :)

i feel ya.

Yeah I can relate to that; I started to skip college because I felt so bad about my acne and having all the other people seeing my face everyday, and that gradually started to affect my grades.

My motivation dropped as well and it's made me unsure about my future career and what I'm doing at the moment at college.

I'd love to meet a girl at college but since my acne has such a massive impact on my self-worth, confidence and self-esteem, I can't do that :( I can't imagine how horrible University would be if I still have Acne this time next year, so it's vital for me to get put on Accutane, no matter how many side-effects I have from it.

omg are we the same person?!

haha, my grades got so bad this past semester because i was SO depressed! i started doubting what i wanted to do with my future and i totally had no self worth. i've always wanted to meet a guy at school and finally have a boyfriend but, of course, the lack of self confidence has always impaired that. i'm hoping accutane will help me out. i'm dreading this coming school year at university.

:( glad someone out there is on the same boat as me. we gotta stick together!

omg are we the same person?!

haha, my grades got so bad this past semester because i was SO depressed! i started doubting what i wanted to do with my future and i totally had no self worth. i've always wanted to meet a guy at school and finally have a boyfriend but, of course, the lack of self confidence has always impaired that. i'm hoping accutane will help me out. i'm dreading this coming school year at university.

:( glad someone out there is on the same boat as me. we gotta stick together!

Yeah lol. Well I'm glad you have a boyfriend despite your acne :) He can help you through your struggle with it I suppose.

But yeah I'm hoping to get referred to a Dermatologist in the coming weeks (or months if it takes that long), and get prescribed Accutane! This is kind of like my stepping stone to get my life back lol.

Get prescribed Accutane by Dermatologist > Start 2nd year at College > Hopefully see significant change in skin & complexion by December 2011 > Hopefully have clear skin by February 2012 > Reclaim my f***ing life! :D

Edited by Acne F*** Off

Got it all, and then some! Although for what it's worth, I didn't grow my hair to cover my face and that's never actually something I've done. But the rest of it... yeah, big time!

This last week it's really come to a head as I've previously been letting these things influence my work. Since the start of the year I found myself getting kind of anxious when I had to go out in public. I just could get away from this thought that people were looking at me and that they'd think I was ugly. What worried me was that these thoughts were in my mind regardless of how the acne on my face looked. Around that time, I did start to break out worse than I have in years, which only made the anxiety and things worse.

When it would come to leaving the house for work in a morning, I'd hesitate for quite a while and most days I would be perhaps ten minutes late. Throughout the day, I'd be sat at my desk trying to avoid people, and a degree of panic would creep in bit by bit. I'd get through most of the day but eventually I'd start to feel like I just had to get out of there and I'd end up leaving early. We work flexible hours so can pretty much come and go as we please between 7am and 7pm, as long as we actually do the hours we're paid for of course.

I didn't want to go to my manager or the boss and explain that I was having problems with my time-keeping and also completing my work hours. I knew if I told them this, they'd want to know the reason and I don't feel like I can tell any of them my personal problems. My manager is three years younger than me, has the job I once applied for, and is climbing up the ladder faster than everyone else because he is the nephew of the boss. There's just no way I would go to these people, knowing nothing about them really other than their names, and pour out such personal things.

So rather than tell them, I tried to cover it up. I tried to do that by faking the times I was arriving at and leaving work. It turns out that they realised what I was doing but never actually stopped me or decided to ask me why I was doing it. Instead, they've watched me for the last few months and they've built a case against me.

A lot of these feelings I have are not new to me, but they've really hit me hard since my Grandfather passed away in April. My employer knew about this and they knew how hard that had hit me, but still they have never asked me about it, despite the fact they have now turned it all around on me and stated that I should be aware that I should speak to them about problems. My Grandfather was pretty much the only family member who listened to me without judging or getting into an argument. I love my family, but nobody else seems to understand no matter how I try and explain these things. Now with my Grandfather gone, I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to. Even just typing this out is bringing tears to my eyes, it still hurts to think he's no longer here.

So my employer now has this big file of evidence, complete with written statements from all the managers and even some co-workers, a few of whom I thought I could probably consider to be the nearest thing I have to friends. They've all given statements against me, some of them not actually true, and nobody at any point has come and asked over the last three months when I've pretty much been having a breakdown if I was alright. Faking the times is classed as misconduct and they could fire me. I had a meeting last week and finally found the strength to tell them all this stuff, breaking down as I did so, in a desperate attempt to save my job. I've been away and go back to work on Wednesday. They'll have made a decision by then and I think I'm going to get fired. As pathetic as it sounds, it often feels like my job is the only thing I have. I have no idea what I'm going to do if I lose it.

I'm ashamed of myself for having let this get so out of control to be honest, and I simply couldn't see that there was a problem. I guess my head's in a bad place and it seemed more logical to cover it up than fix it. I think my sense of self worth is actually so low that I figured nobody would hardly even notice me or care what I was doing. My employer told me to go and see my doctor, which I'm doing tomorrow, so I'll have to tell them all this stuff too. I just wish I had fixed this stuff years ago. I wish I'd fixed my skin in my teens because all these feelings started when I was bullied in school because of my acne. Instead of rising above it, I let it beat me, and then in the years since then, I've just made myself feel so much worse and it's never stopped. Now I'm almost at rock bottom. Epic fail. :(

Edited by PaulH85

Got it all, and then some! Although for what it's worth, I didn't grow my hair to cover my face and that's never actually something I've done. But the rest of it... yeah, big time!

This last week it's really come to a head as I've previously been letting these things influence my work. Since the start of the year I found myself getting kind of anxious when I had to go out in public. I just could get away from this thought that people were looking at me and that they'd think I was ugly. What worried me was that these thoughts were in my mind regardless of how the acne on my face looked. Around that time, I did start to break out worse than I have in years, which only made the anxiety and things worse.

When it would come to leaving the house for work in a morning, I'd hesitate for quite a while and most days I would be perhaps ten minutes late. Throughout the day, I'd be sat at my desk trying to avoid people, and a degree of panic would creep in bit by bit. I'd get through most of the day but eventually I'd start to feel like I just had to get out of there and I'd end up leaving early. We work flexible hours so can pretty much come and go as we please between 7am and 7pm, as long as we actually do the hours we're paid for of course.

I didn't want to go to my manager or the boss and explain that I was having problems with my time-keeping and also completing my work hours. I knew if I told them this, they'd want to know the reason and I don't feel like I can tell any of them my personal problems. My manager is three years younger than me, has the job I once applied for, and is climbing up the ladder faster than everyone else because he is the nephew of the boss. There's just no way I would go to these people, knowing nothing about them really other than their names, and pour out such personal things.

So rather than tell them, I tried to cover it up. I tried to do that by faking the times I was arriving at and leaving work. It turns out that they realised what I was doing but never actually stopped me or decided to ask me why I was doing it. Instead, they've watched me for the last few months and they've built a case against me.

A lot of these feelings I have are not new to me, but they've really hit me hard since my Grandfather passed away in April. My employer knew about this and they knew how hard that had hit me, but still they have never asked me about it, despite the fact they have now turned it all around on me and stated that I should be aware that I should speak to them about problems. My Grandfather was pretty much the only family member who listened to me without judging or getting into an argument. I love my family, but nobody else seems to understand no matter how I try and explain these things. Now with my Grandfather gone, I don't feel like I have anyone to talk to. Even just typing this out is bringing tears to my eyes, it still hurts to think he's no longer here.

So my employer now has this big file of evidence, complete with written statements from all the managers and even some co-workers, a few of whom I thought I could probably consider to be the nearest thing I have to friends. They've all given statements against me, some of them not actually true, and nobody at any point has come and asked over the last three months when I've pretty much been having a breakdown if I was alright. Faking the times is classed as misconduct and they could fire me. I had a meeting last week and finally found the strength to tell them all this stuff, breaking down as I did so, in a desperate attempt to save my job. I've been away and go back to work on Wednesday. They'll have made a decision by then and I think I'm going to get fired. As pathetic as it sounds, it often feels like my job is the only thing I have. I have no idea what I'm going to do if I lose it.

I'm ashamed of myself for having let this get so out of control to be honest, and I simply couldn't see that there was a problem. I guess my head's in a bad place and it seemed more logical to cover it up than fix it. I think my sense of self worth is actually so low that I figured nobody would hardly even notice me or care what I was doing. My employer told me to go and see my doctor, which I'm doing tomorrow, so I'll have to tell them all this stuff too. I just wish I had fixed this stuff years ago. I wish I'd fixed my skin in my teens because all these feelings started when I was bullied in school because of my acne. Instead of rising above it, I let it beat me, and then in the years since then, I've just made myself feel so much worse and it's never stopped. Now I'm almost at rock bottom. Epic fail. :(

Hey mate dont be so down on yourself. So what you faked a few time sheets, ive seen people do much worse and get away with it (have done worse myself).

Sounds like your employers really haven't got your best interests at heart.

Let me know how it goes on wednesday man - good luck and fight your corner.

check all. acne became a huge part of my life, it controlled my mood, whether i went out or not, whether i would talk to a boy i liked or painfully having to dodge him in the hall bc i was embarassed of my face, even to the point where i would ditch class and hide out in the bathroom:( .......sad times

Check, check, check. That list sums up my experience when I was growing up.

@Paul: Hey =( I'm really sorry to hear you're having problems with your managers and work. From what I remember reading in your posts, you didn't seem to like your job. Is that true, or did I misunderstand?

If you do get fired, bollocks to them! Perhaps, this is the chance for you to do what you love to do, instead of putting your life into work that isn't satisfying on any level other than financial. It's scary to pursue one's desires, and we end up falling into a comfortable, safe rut in our lives. What about your photography work? Is there any chance you can start doing that professionally?

You copy and pasted this off of a website. I've seen this somewhere before. haha. But anyways, I'll answer the questions one by one. :

•Some embarrassed acne patients avoid eye contact...... YES, I DO.

•Some acne sufferers grow their hair long to cover the face. Girls tend to wear heavy make-up to disguise the pimples, even though they know this sometimes aggravates the condition. Boys often comment, "acne is not such a problem for girls because they can wear make-up".......NO, I DON'T.

•Truncal acne can reduce participation in sport such as swimming or rugby because of the need to disrobe in public changing rooms.........NO, I DON'T.

•Acne, especially when it affects the face, provokes cruel taunts from other teenagers.......WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL (I JUST GRADUATED IN MAY), EVERY NOW AND THEN SOME DUMB ASS WOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT MY FACE. MOST OF THE TIME, THE PEOPLE WHO SAID SOMETHING WE'RE BLACK AND WE ALL KNOW BLACK PEOPLE DON'T GET ACNE SO I JUST IGNORED IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE.

•Some find it hard to form new relationships, especially with the opposite sex.......YES YES YES YES. I CAN'T GET A GIRLFRIEND, HELL I CAN'T EVEN GET A GIRL TO TALK TO ME BECAUSE OF ACNE

•At a time when teenagers are learning to form relationships, those with acne may lack the self-confidence to go out and make these bonds. They become shy and even reclusive. The main concern is a fear of negative appraisal by others. in extreme cases a social phobia can develop.......I HATE GOING IN PUBLIC. HATE IT. I HAVE TO COVER MY FACE UP WHEN I SIMPLY WALK BY SOMEBODY. SO DEPRESSING.

Education/work

•Some refuse to go school leading to poor academic performance and possibly future unemployment........I'M ACTUALLY DEBATING IF I WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE OR NOT OVER MY ACNE.

•Some take "sick days" from work, risking their jobs or livelihood......I DON'T HAVE A JOB BECAUSE OF MY ACNE.

•Acne may reduce career choices, ruling out occupations such as modelling that depend upon personal appearance...........ACNE MAKES ME NOT WANT TO GET A JOB.

•Acne patients are less successful in job applications; their lack of confidence being as important as the potential employers' reaction to their spotty skin......I CAN'T REALLY COMMENT ON THIS.

•More people who have acne are unemployed than people who do not have acne are........I GUESS THIS WOULD BE A TRUTHFUL STATEMENT. IT MAKES SENSE.

•Many young adults with acne seek medical help as they enter the workforce, where they perceive that acne is unacceptable and that they "should have grown out of it by now".......MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. I'M 18 YEARS OLD AND STILL DEALING WITH ACNE (I'VE HAD IT SINCE I WAS 16). I'M A GROWN ASS MAN DEALING WITH THIS BULLSHIT. *SIGH*

You copy and pasted this off of a website. I've seen this somewhere before. haha. But anyways, I'll answer the questions one by one. :

•Some acne sufferers grow their hair long to cover the face. Girls tend to wear heavy make-up to disguise the pimples, even though they know this sometimes aggravates the condition. Boys often comment, "acne is not such a problem for girls because they can wear make-up".......NO, I DON'T.

•Truncal acne can reduce participation in sport such as swimming or rugby because of the need to disrobe in public changing rooms.........NO, I DON'T.

•Acne, especially when it affects the face, provokes cruel taunts from other teenagers.......WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL (I JUST GRADUATED IN MAY), EVERY NOW AND THEN SOME DUMB ASS WOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT MY FACE. MOST OF THE TIME, THE PEOPLE WHO SAID SOMETHING WE'RE BLACK AND WE ALL KNOW BLACK PEOPLE DON'T GET ACNE SO I JUST IGNORED IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE.

•Some find it hard to form new relationships, especially with the opposite sex.......YES YES YES YES. I CAN'T GET A GIRLFRIEND, HELL I CAN'T EVEN GET A GIRL TO TALK TO ME BECAUSE OF ACNE

•At a time when teenagers are learning to form relationships, those with acne may lack the self-confidence to go out and make these bonds. They become shy and even reclusive. The main concern is a fear of negative appraisal by others. in extreme cases a social phobia can develop.......I HATE GOING IN PUBLIC. HATE IT. I HAVE TO COVER MY FACE UP WHEN I SIMPLY WALK BY SOMEBODY. SO DEPRESSING.

Education/work

•Some refuse to go school leading to poor academic performance and possibly future unemployment........I'M ACTUALLY DEBATING IF I WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE OR NOT OVER MY ACNE.

•Some take "sick days" from work, risking their jobs or livelihood......I DON'T HAVE A JOB BECAUSE OF MY ACNE.

•Acne may reduce career choices, ruling out occupations such as modelling that depend upon personal appearance...........ACNE MAKES ME NOT WANT TO GET A JOB.

•Acne patients are less successful in job applications; their lack of confidence being as important as the potential employers' reaction to their spotty skin......I CAN'T REALLY COMMENT ON THIS.

•More people who have acne are unemployed than people who do not have acne are........I GUESS THIS WOULD BE A TRUTHFUL STATEMENT. IT MAKES SENSE.

•Many young adults with acne seek medical help as they enter the workforce, where they perceive that acne is unacceptable and that they "should have grown out of it by now".......MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. I'M 18 YEARS OLD AND STILL DEALING WITH ACNE (I'VE HAD IT SINCE I WAS 16). I'M A GROWN ASS MAN DEALING WITH THIS BULLSHIT. *SIGH*

Yes I took it from a website which listed all of those problems, as well as people with Acne and Depression symptoms.

I think I have the same ones ticked and for the same reasons as you, apart from the last one; I've had Acne since I was 14 :( I'm now 17, and it sucks.

I would argue that these are very generalized problems that could signify mild to severe depression and social anxiety. But yeah, I relate to a lot of these. I think most of these emotions are normal for many people, however.

Hell yeah--I seem to be suffering from all those! My friends gave up on me a while ago (never wanna go out anymore) and just today I was contemplating "taking a break" from college this semester...I signed up during a clear period, but the way things are going lately, I figure I'll be way too busy dealing with accutane and the numerous profusion of whiteheads that are supposed to come with it--probably i'd be absent every other day, so what's the point. Sucks too, 'cause I obviously got potential; I was getting straight A's :(

Just the first three of Self Image. I'm not letting it take over my life at all.

Im happy about mine today, becuase its gonig WAY down :)

I know this isnt help to you guys, but just let it go. For a week, dont pick at it, leave it alone, dont look in the mirror for an hour and go have fun. Aside form having fun, youre acne most likely will improve. Your giving your face a break!

Hey mate dont be so down on yourself. So what you faked a few time sheets, ive seen people do much worse and get away with it (have done worse myself).

My employer figured I was doing it purely to gain the time back, like I purposely cheating them out of it. Had I gone into the meeting and admitted it without defence, I know I would have been fired on the spot. But they wanted to take the information I gave them and the written statement I'd prepared away with them so they could consider all the facts. The person who represents people in these meetings said that the management had never done that before so I should look at that as a good sign. I'm not convinced though, to be honest I fully expect to have been fired by this time tomorrow. Wait and see I guess.

@Paul: Hey =( I'm really sorry to hear you're having problems with your managers and work. From what I remember reading in your posts, you didn't seem to like your job. Is that true, or did I misunderstand?

If you do get fired, bollocks to them! Perhaps, this is the chance for you to do what you love to do, instead of putting your life into work that isn't satisfying on any level other than financial. It's scary to pursue one's desires, and we end up falling into a comfortable, safe rut in our lives. What about your photography work? Is there any chance you can start doing that professionally?

Thanks. The work is OK. It's not a career or anything special, but it pays. It's just not my thing though. I want to be a creative person or at least do something where you get to mix your day up, even just a little. I've sat at the same desk doing the same thing, surrounded by the same people who just sit in near silence all day, for almost five years. I guess it's literally starting to do my head in.

I've always been scared to take risks or follow things I wanted to follow. Hell, everything seems to scare me. Work is comfortable and routine and I liked the familiarity of that routine, but I guess eventually familiarity breeds contempt.

Even if they do keep me, I don't see how I can stay there long term. I mean, all the staff know what I did and most of them gave evidence against me, like I'm a bad person or something. I don't think they'll respect or trust me.

What hurts is that I'm not a bad person and I've never done anything to hurt anyone. I only ever put other people first, even at the expense of my own feelings. Seems like now it's gone to the extreme end of the scale where I feel as though my own feelings aren't worthy of being considered by others.

I don't know what changes need to be made, or how to make them, but I'm working on it.

I saw my doctor today and she was really nice. The guy I used to see was fine, but I always felt like he was behaving as though he'd seen and heard it all before. He wasn't available so I ended up seeing someone else, and I think I'll go and see her from now on.

We talked about the work situation and how work is in general, my home life, social life, how I feel about myself. I struggled to articulate some of it which isn't so good because she can only help me to the best of her ability if I'm giving as much detail as possible, but I think we got there in the end. She's putting a referral together to go and see someone about cognitive behavioural therapy as that seems like it could be a suitable option. They're going to call me in a couple of days to arrange an appointment. I can at least give it a go, and certainly this person will give me time to just talk and get stuff out. The doctor recognised it was more a case of letting things out and putting myself together rather than fixing it with pills or whatever, so I'm happy about that.

The doctor gave me some booklets and stuff to read so I can at least take those to my employer tomorrow as proof that I attended the appointment and am doing the things I said I was going to do. Granted, I have to do it for myself and my well-being rather than just to keep my job, but if doing this at least allows me to keep the job, that's one less thing to worry about.

Hell, after all the stuff I've told my employer in the last week and the attempts I've made to start fixing this, if they still let me go despite all that, they're heartless bastards and I wouldn't want to work for them anyway!

I think with the photography, it's all about having the confidence in your work and the ability to get out there and sell yourself. I don't have either. I don't mean to be hard on myself and I know I should give myself far more credit than I do, but I don't can't seem to find the self esteem or the ability appreciate whatever skills I may have. Maybe that's also the sort of thing I can work on if the cognitive behavioural therapy becomes a regular thing. I'll see.

I took a moment to mention my skin problems while I was there, as my medication comes to an end in a month and I wasn't sure how to renew it. The doctor suggested I should give the medication a break as I've been on it now for almost a year. I can still keep a low sugar and low dairy diet going, as well as my supplements, and see how my skin behaves without taking Lymecycline. I still have scripts for Isotretinoin gel which I can use on pimples if things break out. It's clear at the moment, save for one pimple. I think the diet and the supplements are having the biggest influence as things have only dramatically improved following those changes, so fingers crossed dropping the Lymecycline in a few weeks won't cause all my acne to come back and break out on a weekly basis like it did up until about a year ago.

Anyway, thanks for the support folks, means a lot. :)

Edited by PaulH85

Wow I have everyone of those problems. I just haven't tried growing my hair out haha.

This past semester in college I skipped way too many classes because of my acne. I'd get all ready to go, then I'd look in the mirror and couldn't handle having people look at my face all day, so I'd just not go. It really effected myg rades and I had to really struggle to get my grades back up at the end of the semester.

"Some find it hard to form new relationships, especially with the opposite sex.

At a time when teenagers are learning to form relationships, those with acne may lack the self-confidence to go out and make these bonds. They become shy and even reclusive. The main concern is a fear of negative appraisal by others. in extreme cases a social phobia can develop."

This part of that list is especially true for me. I have pretty much no social life at the moment because I hide myself away so much. I get really nervous in social situations now and feel like I want to just run away to avoid it. I sort of just never let anyone get close to me, as soon as think things might get more personal I always seem to find away to cut off contact and hide away again. Ugh.

PaulH85

I really feel for you man. I hope you are able to stay at your job. But like you said if they still fire you after you opened up to them, they are pretty big jerks and you would be better off working somewhere else. I hope they realize you at least deserve a second chance there after you explained why those things happened.

My employer figured I was doing it purely to gain the time back, like I purposely cheating them out of it. Had I gone into the meeting and admitted it without defence, I know I would have been fired on the spot. But they wanted to take the information I gave them and the written statement I'd prepared away with them so they could consider all the facts. The person who represents people in these meetings said that the management had never done that before so I should look at that as a good sign. I'm not convinced though, to be honest I fully expect to have been fired by this time tomorrow. Wait and see I guess.

Thanks. The work is OK. It's not a career or anything special, but it pays. It's just not my thing though. I want to be a creative person or at least do something where you get to mix your day up, even just a little. I've sat at the same desk doing the same thing, surrounded by the same people who just sit in near silence all day, for almost five years. I guess it's literally starting to do my head in.

I've always been scared to take risks or follow things I wanted to follow. Hell, everything seems to scare me. Work is comfortable and routine and I liked the familiarity of that routine, but I guess eventually familiarity breeds contempt.

Even if they do keep me, I don't see how I can stay there long term. I mean, all the staff know what I did and most of them gave evidence against me, like I'm a bad person or something. I don't think they'll respect or trust me.

What hurts is that I'm not a bad person and I've never done anything to hurt anyone. I only ever put other people first, even at the expense of my own feelings. Seems like now it's gone to the extreme end of the scale where I feel as though my own feelings aren't worthy of being considered by others.

I don't know what changes need to be made, or how to make them, but I'm working on it.

I saw my doctor today and she was really nice. The guy I used to see was fine, but I always felt like he was behaving as though he'd seen and heard it all before. He wasn't available so I ended up seeing someone else, and I think I'll go and see her from now on.

We talked about the work situation and how work is in general, my home life, social life, how I feel about myself. I struggled to articulate some of it which isn't so good because she can only help me to the best of her ability if I'm giving as much detail as possible, but I think we got there in the end. She's putting a referral together to go and see someone about cognitive behavioural therapy as that seems like it could be a suitable option. They're going to call me in a couple of days to arrange an appointment. I can at least give it a go, and certainly this person will give me time to just talk and get stuff out. The doctor recognised it was more a case of letting things out and putting myself together rather than fixing it with pills or whatever, so I'm happy about that.

The doctor gave me some booklets and stuff to read so I can at least take those to my employer tomorrow as proof that I attended the appointment and am doing the things I said I was going to do. Granted, I have to do it for myself and my well-being rather than just to keep my job, but if doing this at least allows me to keep the job, that's one less thing to worry about.

Hell, after all the stuff I've told my employer in the last week and the attempts I've made to start fixing this, if they still let me go despite all that, they're heartless bastards and I wouldn't want to work for them anyway!

I think with the photography, it's all about having the confidence in your work and the ability to get out there and sell yourself. I don't have either. I don't mean to be hard on myself and I know I should give myself far more credit than I do, but I don't can't seem to find the self esteem or the ability appreciate whatever skills I may have. Maybe that's also the sort of thing I can work on if the cognitive behavioural therapy becomes a regular thing. I'll see.

I took a moment to mention my skin problems while I was there, as my medication comes to an end in a month and I wasn't sure how to renew it. The doctor suggested I should give the medication a break as I've been on it now for almost a year. I can still keep a low sugar and low dairy diet going, as well as my supplements, and see how my skin behaves without taking Lymecycline. I still have scripts for Isotretinoin gel which I can use on pimples if things break out. It's clear at the moment, save for one pimple. I think the diet and the supplements are having the biggest influence as things have only dramatically improved following those changes, so fingers crossed dropping the Lymecycline in a few weeks won't cause all my acne to come back and break out on a weekly basis like it did up until about a year ago.

Anyway, thanks for the support folks, means a lot. :)

I feel the same way socially. Not to change the subject but can you list the supplements you're taking that help..........I'm currently taking low dose zinc, fish oil and a herb called neem with little to no improvement.

thanks

Education/work

Yes I took it from a website which listed all of those problems, as well as people with Acne and Depression symptoms.

I think I have the same ones ticked and for the same reasons as you, apart from the last one; I've had Acne since I was 14 :( I'm now 17, and it sucks.

What kind of acne do you have? I have moderate acne. And I'm just somewhat thankful I got to enjoy my early teen years (13-15) with preety much clear skin and no acne. *sigh* Those were the fucking days and I didn't take advantage of them.

Hell yeah--I seem to be suffering from all those! My friends gave up on me a while ago (never wanna go out anymore) and just today I was contemplating "taking a break" from college this semester...I signed up during a clear period, but the way things are going lately, I figure I'll be way too busy dealing with accutane and the numerous profusion of whiteheads that are supposed to come with it--probably i'd be absent every other day, so what's the point. Sucks too, 'cause I obviously got potential; I was getting straight A's :(

I've also lost a couple of friends over acne. They got sick of me being depressed all the time and not wanting to go out with them and have fun (because of my acne). And I'm debating if I want to go to college over acne. Sad, I know. I PLAN on starting in January of 2012 but I don't know if my skin will be clear by then. Preety much, I'm putting my life on hold until my acne goes away. I can't get any enjoyment out of life until it goes away.

What kind of acne do you have? I have moderate acne. And I'm just somewhat thankful I got to enjoy my early teen years (13-15) with preety much clear skin and no acne. *sigh* Those were the fucking days and I didn't take advantage of them.

I would say I have mild-moderate; papules and pustules around my cheeks and on my fore-head, but mostly blemishes and whiteheads. The treatment I am on has helped slightly, but I was expecting more drastic results.

Yeah I got acne around the same time (start of puberty) which is normal, but I thought it would have gone by the time I finished secondary school (16), but the acne is still visible, even though it isn't as bad as it was 2 years ago. :(

I've also lost a couple of friends over acne. They got sick of me being depressed all the time and not wanting to go out with them and have fun (because of my acne). And I'm debating if I want to go to college over acne. Sad, I know. I PLAN on starting in January of 2012 but I don't know if my skin will be clear by then. Preety much, I'm putting my life on hold until my acne goes away. I can't get any enjoyment out of life until it goes away.

I felt like that too when I was transferring from my old school's sixth form to this college I am currently at. I felt really bad and embarrassed about showing up to this college every day with my acne.

I'm hoping to have my acne gone by Spring 2012 ((Ro)Accutane) so I can complete my college course with my predicted grades and go to University with a smile on my face, instead of a sad face.

Edited by Acne F*** Off

Not to change the subject but can you list the supplements you're taking that help..........I'm currently taking low dose zinc, fish oil and a herb called neem with little to no improvement.

thanks

As well as zinc, I'm taking vitamin A, B5, C and D. I'm also taking Turmeric capsules which helps calm down redness. :)

Not acne related, but just a little update for those who were wondering how things would turn out for me. I got fired this morning. So, this is what rock bottom feels like... :(