Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ohhhhhhnooooooo

I'm done with this, I truly am

Sometimes it takes this kind of frustration to realize the truth. Skin care companies care about your money more than your desire to have clear skin. And they will convince you otherwise. It took me this kind of frustration/despair to finally give up and just go to water, and i'm so glad i did. I never exfoliate, or use anything but water on my face, and it is the first time since i was 15 that i haven't had to worry about acne. What i found to work best is just standing in the shower and letting the water run over my face. I don't use any product in my hair so nothing can drip onto it. The key to doing this and not having dry skin is to keep your showers extremely short. Like 5 minutes tops, and avoiding really hot water. This lets the water rinse off your body and face without irritating your skin by over drying it.

p.s.-clean pillow cases are huge too, like every night

i also cut out dairy, most sugar, and soy with very noticeable results

Exactly, skin care companies are all about the money. When I first found out about the no chemicals on face routine, I was kinda scared. I was so attached to my acne products that I kept having thoughts of getting bad break outs and worse acne. Thanks for sharing your techniques, I do a lot of similar things. I really try to avoid hot water as well because it makes my face really dry and flake up.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I might try just stopping all acne products and seeing what happens in the future. I'll admit that this idea scares me a bit though. I fear I'd break out worse. I have been trying out so many different acne regimens the past few years and nothing is helping enough. I have been using acne medications for the past 10 years straight. I know my acne isnt caused by them since I got the acne while not using anything, but maybe all these irritating products are making it worse in the long term. Ugh I don't know.

I wish I could just somehow make myself blind to my acne and erase my memory of it haha, so I could just go about my daily life without obsessing about it so much haha. Maybe someone should make a medication that does that!

I've never tried cutting out Gluten out of my diet though. That seems like a difficult thing to do. I rarely eat sugar, and I tried cutting out dairy in the past and noticed no change in my acne.

Edited by dieacnedie!

I have tried so so many acne products over the last six years.. and I felt like giving up too! But recently I have cut out dairy and gluten from my diet and I have also started drinking 3 to 5 cups of green tea a day... after 3 weeks of this, I'm nearly clear!! I really do believe our diet is linked to acne... even if you cant cut out dairy and gluten, you should try green tea!

I really hope you find a solution! :)

I tried everything! Proactiv, Neutrogena, Skin ID, tretinoin, doxycyclinehyclate, you name it. You just have to let go and go all natural. This is what acne companies do to you, they make you so attached to the chemicals you feel like you can't be without it. I would try green tea if it didn't have caffeine and if it didnt do bad things to your teeth =/ So far, my water only routine is going great!

I wish I could just somehow make myself blind to my acne and erase my memory of it haha, so I could just go about my daily life without obsessing about it so much haha.

Just thinking of acne still haunts me to this day. Even though my skin is pretty much perfect after going on Accutane and cutting out chemicals and makeup out of my daily routine, I still get really paranoid that I'll start breaking out again. I don't know how to let go. Every once in awhile, it seems like my past memories of acne still have a hold on me. It's getting better each and every day, though.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I have tried so so many acne products over the last six years.. and I felt like giving up too! But recently I have cut out dairy and gluten from my diet and I have also started drinking 3 to 5 cups of green tea a day... after 3 weeks of this, I'm nearly clear!! I really do believe our diet is linked to acne... even if you cant cut out dairy and gluten, you should try green tea!

I really hope you find a solution! :)

I tried everything! Proactiv, Neutrogena, Skin ID, tretinoin, doxycyclinehyclate, you name it. You just have to let go and go all natural. This is what acne companies do to you, they make you so attached to the chemicals you feel like you can't be without it. I would try green tea if it didn't have caffeine and if it didnt do bad things to your teeth =/ So far, my water only routine is going great!

Awesome emmylou92. True that diet affects acne sufferers differently, but those two tend to be up there with the biggest culprits for those who are affected by diet. And to those who are not affected by diet, i'd still say get off chemicals.

@ohhhhhhnooooooo- you might consider drinking decaf green tea. Celestial seasonings makes a sleepytime green that has added herbs that are both healthy and great to the taste. I know there are other flavors of decaf as well

@ashley- i know that temperature might not affect everybody due to the varying skin types, but i have very sensitive skin (or at least very prone to dryness) and i do notice a huge difference when i take five minute showers using cooler temperatures. If i were to shower for 20 minutes with hot water my face would be dry and flaky. I've done it. So it really depends on your level of skin sensitivity and type

I might try just stopping all acne products and seeing what happens in the future. I'll admit that this idea scares me a bit though. I fear I'd break out worse. I have been trying out so many different acne regimens the past few years and nothing is helping enough. I have been using acne medications for the past 10 years straight. I know my acne isnt caused by them since I got the acne while not using anything, but maybe all these irritating products are making it worse in the long term. Ugh I don't know.

I wish I could just somehow make myself blind to my acne and erase my memory of it haha, so I could just go about my daily life without obsessing about it so much haha. Maybe someone should make a medication that does that!

I've never tried cutting out Gluten out of my diet though. That seems like a difficult thing to do. I rarely eat sugar, and I tried cutting out dairy in the past and noticed no change in my acne.

Stopping all acne products sounds good to me. Go for it! It scared me at first as well, but then I thought to myself, what do I have to lose? My acne is bad enough, if it gets worse, there wouldn't be much of a change. I'm on summer break, I don't have to look good for anyone so I've decided that it's the best time for new things.Ever since I started this new routine, I've gotten a couple of white heads here and there but my face is starting to clear up and the redness and scars are starting to fade away. Not only is it making my face look better, I don't have to worry about putting on benzoyl peroxide every morning!!!!!!! Such a dreading routine.... Give it a try!

I wish I could just somehow make myself blind to my acne and erase my memory of it haha, so I could just go about my daily life without obsessing about it so much haha.

Just thinking of acne still haunts me to this day. Even though my skin is pretty much perfect after going on Accutane and cutting out chemicals and makeup out of my daily routine, I still get really paranoid that I'll start breaking out again. I don't know how to let go. Every once in awhile, it seems like my past memories of acne still have a hold on me. It's getting better each and every day, though.

Acne should not prevent you from living your life! Although I feel insecure about my face, I try my best to ignore my acne and live my life like I don't have any at all!

its a good idea. you'l stil get acne until you change your diet, but its true, we still have acne with all those expensive products but those companies make us fee like we need it, like it helps. it doesn't, actually makes our skin more sensitive to break outs which ties us to the product cuz we feel we need more and more.

but good job. acne is not an external problem thats why. its your body's internal system malfunctioning and screaming through your skin.

good for you! i am thinking of quitting on moisturiser altogether & just using retin a. iv worn moisturiser for so long that when i dont my skin fees tight & flakey, but i reckon this would normalise itself after abit. Just like using hand cream can make your hands dryer, or lip balm

yeah, I use retin-a too but I want to stop using it because it makes my face very red due to the amount of alcohol inside the chemical.

yeah why does retin a need to have so much alcohol in it? now i am even more but off, but trying tk keep persisting as ive got throught the initial acne/exema face dryness stage. its still dry in patches but more manegable. i have lots of hard lumpy ones under my jaw but they dont seem to be shifting at all. my face is red whic i dont mind too much but the red patch under my jaw looks stupid next to my white next, like a really bad foundation tide line or something! im sure people think i am a freak at the moment.

i wanna try the water only but i wear make up .. x

=/ less make up?

its really hard though going out of the house with no make up when you've got horrible skin!!! i truely admire people that can because i cann't!! i know beauty is on the inside but if your face is full of pimples and scars its really hard to face people and your self esteem drops!! my goal is to go out without makeup oneday!!!!

Acne should not prevent you from living your life! Although I feel insecure about my face, I try my best to ignore my acne and live my life like I don't have any at all!

I understand where you're coming from. It's easier for some people than others. It's hard to just ignore it when you've had it for so long. I'm completely acne-free right now and don't worry about my skin anymore, but of course I still have the memories of when I did suffer from acne.

I also agree with the original poster on this board!! sometimes i want to stop using anything at all on my skin because i get sick of nothing working and i get annoyed at all the time and money i've wasted but then i get scared that it might backfire on my skin and my skin might get even worse!!! its really interesting though because both my siblings (17 and 21 years old) have suffered from acne but they stopped using anything but water (out of lazziness :P) and both now have amazing skin that i envy!! so maybe its actually better to stop the chemicals because they might be doing more harm then good!! i've been on acne medication for 6 months now and NOTHING has seemed to work, the next step is either isotretinoin or hormone therapy but i realy don't want to go down that road due to the side effects so i might jump on the same boat as you guys and stop using on these rubbish products!!!

Hey guys,

I'm back!

So it's been about 3 months since I first started this and I must say, the results were 50/50. The results were 50/50 because there were good results and bad results. The good results were faded red marks. Since I stopped washing my face with products, my face started to become less and less red.Another good result was the decrease in white heads. I would get white heads once a week. Ok, here's the bad news. Not washing my face was pretty suffering. As days passed, my face would get oily and the oil would stay on my face. My face would feel really dirty and thick. The worst result I got from this was the number of black heads and little bumps that formed around my nose. Since I wasn't exfoliating and washing my face, my face would constantly get black heads.

To conclude, WASHING YOUR FACE IS VERY IMPORTANT.

so, you recommend just a cleanser, with no acne treatmet products?

did you stop breaking out in big pimples?

also i have been wondering....just to prove this theory right...what if someone started using acne products on a place that doesnt normally break out...like on their arm...to see if the acne products are really irritating the skin and causing the acne....maybe Ill try it i dunno.

Hey guys,

I'm back!

So it's been about 3 months since I first started this and I must say, the results were 50/50. The results were 50/50 because there were good results and bad results. The good results were faded red marks. Since I stopped washing my face with products, my face started to become less and less red.Another good result was the decrease in white heads. I would get white heads once a week. Ok, here's the bad news. Not washing my face was pretty suffering. As days passed, my face would get oily and the oil would stay on my face. My face would feel really dirty and thick. The worst result I got from this was the number of black heads and little bumps that formed around my nose. Since I wasn't exfoliating and washing my face, my face would constantly get black heads.

This is a good start but you are forgetting one important thing. You need to splash your face with cold water morning and at night. I do not wash my face, all I do is splash cold water on it to help rid oils and dead skin and I am 110% clear. If you don't splash water on it, you just build up dead skin and oil and you look flaky all the time, trust me I know! With that dead flaky skin sitting there it is easier to clog pores, so yes not washing your face is a very good thing to do indeed, but you need to splash your face with cold water to help it rid dead skin or oils.

Edited by freeliving

so, you recommend just a cleanser, with no acne treatmet products?

did you stop breaking out in big pimples?

also i have been wondering....just to prove this theory right...what if someone started using acne products on a place that doesnt normally break out...like on their arm...to see if the acne products are really irritating the skin and causing the acne....maybe Ill try it i dunno.

Well when I stopped using acne products, I guess my face started to calm down because I stopped putting chemicals that would dry my face. Although I stopped getting big yellow zits, I started to get colorless bumps and red bumps <<Probably from not exfoliating, clogged pores, and excess oil. And for trying the acne product, I think the best test you can do is on the face. Your face can have a different reactions from your arm, just my theory.

QUOTE (ohhhhhhnooooooo @ Sep 12 2011, 03:45 AM)

Hey guys,

I'm back!

This is a good start but you are forgetting one important thing. You need to splash your face with cold water morning and at night. I do not wash my face, all I do is splash cold water on it to help rid oils and dead skin and I am 110% clear. If you don't splash water on it, you just build up dead skin and oil and you look flaky all the time, trust me I know! With that dead flaky skin sitting there it is easier to clog pores, so yes not washing your face is a very good thing to do indeed, but you need to splash your face with cold water to help it rid dead skin or oils.

Ok, thanks for the info! Cold water