Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emkay6

Acne and facial hair

Hi again everyone,

I described my situation in my original thread (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/25-year-male-acne-mout-t298732.html) and got some great feedback. I realized that one thing I forgot to mention is that I believe my acne is somehow related to my facial hair (maybe ingrown hairs?). The spots tend to be deep and inflamed, and often have yellowish pus. I've tried single blade razors, multi-blade razors, electric shavers (foil and rotary) and none seem to be better than any other in terms of my acne.

As a recap, i've tried two courses of solodyn, epiduo, and currently using topical erythromycin and salicylic acid.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again fellow sufferers!

post-153304-1310336271_thumb.jpg

post-153304-1310336271_thumb.jpg

I had basically the same thing going on. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shaving stuff. Safety razors, single blades, double blades, a gazzilion blades, electrics (foils and rotary), etc. The thing that works for me is a Braun (dry). The foils seem much more gentle (for me anyway).

The Panny foils are cool because you can use them with cream, but they broke me out just like a normal razor. I also like the fact that the Braun cleaning system uses an alcohol based cleaner. Clean razor every single day. I basically had to live with the fact that I am not going to get the closest shave in the world (not easy being OCD). The Braun will shave almost as close as a razor though in most spots.

Once in a while I do use a Hydro 3 on my neck (few times a week). It is a very good razor and much more gentle than all the others I have tried. I have some very crazy facial hair (5 o'clock shadow at 2 or 3), but this has almost made this problem nonexistent.

Good luck!

question (from a chick)

do you guys exfoliate before shaving? One thing I've noticed with shaving stuff is that the more I exfoliate the area, the less problems I have....I use both chemical and physical exfoliants....Tend Skin is the brand of the chemical one...as for physical exfoliation, I use a pumice stone VERY lightly over any areas. I also have to let things heal up between shaves, which isn't fun sometimes but once you break that cycle, it does seem to get better.

I had basically the same thing going on. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on shaving stuff. Safety razors, single blades, double blades, a gazzilion blades, electrics (foils and rotary), etc. The thing that works for me is a Braun (dry). The foils seem much more gentle (for me anyway).

The Panny foils are cool because you can use them with cream, but they broke me out just like a normal razor. I also like the fact that the Braun cleaning system uses an alcohol based cleaner. Clean razor every single day. I basically had to live with the fact that I am not going to get the closest shave in the world (not easy being OCD). The Braun will shave almost as close as a razor though in most spots.

Once in a while I do use a Hydro 3 on my neck (few times a week). It is a very good razor and much more gentle than all the others I have tried. I have some very crazy facial hair (5 o'clock shadow at 2 or 3), but this has almost made this problem nonexistent.

Good luck!

So Braun is an electric shaver? If so what model exactly do you use? I've considered trying an electric shaver out as I think maybe my acne is shaving related possibly.

I do not exfoliate. Every single time I get the urge to I end up with a red face. It really doesn't seem to do anything for me other than aggravate my skin.

It is an electric shaver. It is a foil (not a rotary). I use the Braun Series 7. Great shaver. It also uses a cleaning module so it is VERY sanitary every single time you use it. Very important. It has saved my face.

Besides the occasional blackhead, I generally don't break out in my jawline. I use disposable safety shavers, and I typically reuse them close to a dozen times before replacing, so they're nice & blunt. I shave against the grain & I don't bother putting on aftershave.

I do use shaving cream/gel however, I always heat that area with just above warm water, I always dip my shaver into scalding hot water in between shave strokes, and I do exfoliate my face using the same shaving cream/gel hours before I actually shave.

I used to get ingrown hairs and folliculitis when I shaved, so I started to use a trimmer to leave a little stubble. This way I dont cut the hairs so close to skin, which can cause the problems of ingrown hairs. It looks good and it has made my life a lot easier.

Electric shavers make my skin worse....rash ingrown hairs...so I use a shaving blade.

Perfect example of YMMV. Some will find electrics better for their face and some will not. You have to keep trying things until you figure out what YOUR face likes.

Besides the occasional blackhead, I generally don't break out in my jawline. I use disposable safety shavers, and I typically reuse them close to a dozen times before replacing, so they're nice & blunt. I shave against the grain & I don't bother putting on aftershave.

I do use shaving cream/gel however, I always heat that area with just above warm water, I always dip my shaver into scalding hot water in between shave strokes, and I do exfoliate my face using the same shaving cream/gel hours before I actually shave.

Disposable razors are a good idea, but typically they are not used that many times. If it works for you then great! I have never once shaved AGAINST the grain after the first time I tried it. The general consensus is shave WITH the grain if you have any issues. Shaving itself is also a form of exfoliation (if using a non electric obviously).

I used to get ingrown hairs and folliculitis when I shaved, so I started to use a trimmer to leave a little stubble. This way I dont cut the hairs so close to skin, which can cause the problems of ingrown hairs. It looks good and it has made my life a lot easier.

Great idea and I have almost went this way myself. Doc said he would write me a note telling my employer I can't shave if I wanted him to. If you just cannot beat the ingrown issue and/or folliculitis then this is more than likely the best option (or full on beard).

Badger and Blade has TONS and TONS of great info on shaving issues!

I too use a braun, it is much less irritating on my skin than any type of razor, 3 or 5 blades. I usually wear a light beard anyways, so i only shave like once a week. but if i shave completely i wouldnt do it with a razor, very irritating like you say. i also dont use face soaps/topicals, nor do i use shaving cream. i am 100% clear.

From a female, there's nothing sexier than stubble. I hate full beards, and a clean shaven face is okay.... but stubble is HOT!

Like a few posters I have tried almost all shaving systems whether dry or wet. What I do now is use a two blade cartridge and Aveeno shave cream. Aveeno is oat meal based and has no added perfume or fragrance (I have no affiliation with the company). It is the best shave cream that I've used after many decades. In fact many women use it to shave their legs etc. When I had acne I would try to make one pass on my beard area. I felt the more passes the more irritation and more acne. It is not an easy feat but with practice you get better. Now that I don't have acne I can make ten passes over an area.

I too use a braun, it is much less irritating on my skin than any type of razor, 3 or 5 blades. I usually wear a light beard anyways, so i only shave like once a week. but if i shave completely i wouldnt do it with a razor, very irritating like you say. i also dont use face soaps/topicals, nor do i use shaving cream. i am 100% clear.

I have tried everything. I showed doc a picture of my "shaving den" and he could not stop laughing. Having OCD does not help. I have literally spent thousands on shaving stuff. I have not even used most of it. Do you use a moisturizer? I have recently thought about stopping the washes, but my face is so dry I am not sure I could stop the moisturizer. I know my face might adjust over time, but I don't want to look like an alligator at meetings and such.

From a female, there's nothing sexier than stubble. I hate full beards, and a clean shaven face is okay.... but stubble is HOT!

Funny you mention that. I just purchased a stubble trimmer (I should say my third or fourth one) and I think I finally found the holy grail of stubble trimmers. It is the i-Stubble and it works great! Well worth the cost.

Like a few posters I have tried almost all shaving systems whether dry or wet. What I do now is use a two blade cartridge and Aveeno shave cream. Aveeno is oat meal based and has no added perfume or fragrance (I have no affiliation with the company). It is the best shave cream that I've used after many decades. In fact many women use it to shave their legs etc. When I had acne I would try to make one pass on my beard area. I felt the more passes the more irritation and more acne. It is not an easy feat but with practice you get better. Now that I don't have acne I can make ten passes over an area.

Agree 100%. Use a single/double blade and a great soap/cream like the Aveeno stuff. If you feel you have to use a blade then this is your best bet.

Edited by gopackgo

I have tried everything. I showed doc a picture of my "shaving den" and he could not stop laughing. Having OCD does not help. I have literally spent thousands on shaving stuff. I have not even used most of it. Do you use a moisturizer? I have recently thought about stopping the washes, but my face is so dry I am not sure I could stop the moisturizer. I know my face might adjust over time, but I don't want to look like an alligator at meetings and such.

No sir, I do not use moisturizer. Hot water usually creates dry itchy flaky dead skin, I would avoid hot water and use cool/warm water when showering. I can say that I have also been there done that on shaving products. From DE to Silver tip Badger hair brushes, which I still have. I use to love proraso shave cream, until I realized it dried my skin out so much. That is actually when I started reading about the chemicals in products and how damaging they really are.

Edited by steven m jacobson

I have the same issue though, bumps and whatnot around my jawline with ingrown hairs inside. My only solution is daily exfoliation with Salicylic Acid. After a few consistent weeks you'll notice the bumps breaking down and hardly any new ones forming. Don't pop those though! I've made that mistake many times and end up with a very red, swollen jawline that everyone can notice.

It might not be the razors you use, but rather the shave lather you use... Look up the pacific shaving company shave cream...It will change your life. All natural organic, softens up the beard hair without irritating your skin like most exfoliators do, smooth, close shave. You might also want to try tea tree oil on the nicks/cuts and irritated bumpy areas.

I use "good news" blades from gillette. I like to shave at night after dinner, then I shower, wash with an all natural bha(burts bees), apply dans 2.5 bp 10min after, moisturize with dan's aha 5min after with 5 drops of jojoba, and spot treat nicks/cuts and any zits(i rarely get them with the regimen unless I drink alcohol or consume a lot of dairy/sweets) with tea tree gel from the bodyshop.

Its definately a lot less stressful shaving at night for me because I can take my time with it without thinking about taking on the rest of my day/morning rush ect... AND by the morning I get a pretty good light stubble goin on without the irritation(in my case) of using a beard trimmer hehe.