Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brinkwalker

Simple Yet Profoundly Successful Treatment

I've suffered from occasional cysts and nodules for many years. Although the acne I had was not as acutely severe as that of some of the posters here, I had it over so many years that my scarring ended up being just as bad.

I firmly believe that if I had been better educated about acne, I could have ended up with just a fraction of the deep scars I have now. If I had known about two simple things at the time when my acne scarring was occurring , I believe that my life would have been changed and things would be different now. It's too late for me now, but I want to pass this along now to those for whom it's not. It's not at all new or earth-shattering, but it is simply THE most effective treatment I've ever come across.

1.) ICE----the ice treatment is the most important element of minimizing scarring. Simply rubbing ice on a cyst or nodule (as it's being born--the earlier the better!!) will reduce the length of the lesion's life cycle, reduce the inflammation, slightly "damage" the surface of the lesion so that it peels (a good thing), and generally make the bump MUCH less noticeable. I usually fill a styrofoam with water and keep it in the freezer. When I notice a cyst starting to form, I peel down some of the styrofoam cup on the sides, leaving the ice exposed, and then rub that ice over the bump until it feels cool to the touch. If it looks like it's going to be a large or nasty cyst, I treat it more aggressively, using this technique several times a day. I have rarely had any kind of nodule that didn't respond positively to this treatment, if applied early, and not overdone. By overdone, I mean that you can actually burn your skin by applying the ice too frequently or too long. Barring that, however, in almost all cases, the inflammation will be reduced within 24 to 48 hours. The difference is sometimes immense.

2.) After proper application of ice to NEW nodules, the next thing to remember is that you should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER attempt to squeeze or pop a cyst until you've drawn the impacted material to the surface. You can tell this because the nodule will either have a clear whitehead on it, or the white stuff will be just barely under the surface. The ice treatment itself will often bring the stuff up to the top, where you can get rid of it. Too many of my scars resulted from my trying to pop a cyst when it just wasn't ready. This is a stupid and severely damaging mistake.

If you do both of these things, I really believe that it will have a dramatic impact on your cystic acne. I use this technique all the time and have basically lost all fear of cysts and nodules. I hope it can do the same for you.

Guest davidtheskinking

Ice is amazing! I've mentioned this and talked about it before! cold water (or ice) shrinks and closes the pores and hot water opens them so hot water should be used when washing the face and cold water when rinsing.

Ice is a great way to tone and increase blood flow to the skin which helps heal it! Thanks for sharing, more people need to know about this.

wow, thank you for sharing! i've heard about ice here and there but didn't take it too seriously. sometimes hearing it just one more time is enough to push me to try it. also good advice about when to pop a zit!