Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ante__meridiem

Skin is red and warm (Week 1)

I've suffered from mild-moderate acne for about 4 years now. In the last 2 years, my acne seemed to flare up much worse. I'm thinking my makeup had something to do with it. I've been using BareMinerals foundation from Sephora. Does anyone else use this makeup and does it make you break out? I was very attracted to this line because its free from harsh chemicals and preservatives, and it promotes cell turnover. However, the label doesn't actually say "non-comedogenic".

I've been on the regimen for a week now. I am definitely feeling the dryness that so many users have talked about. So far, no new major breakouts- just a couple of tiny whiteheads emerging on my chin and cheeks. I haven't worn any makeup this week.

I use about a nickel-sized amount of BP for my whole face. The BP doesn't sting, but when I apply my moisturizer (CeraVe PM) afterwards it stings like hell! The stinging sensation subsides after a couple of hours but the dry, itchy feeling continues for most of my day. For the most part, the stinging sensation is confined to my cheeks- I don't feel it on my forehead and chin. Whenever I feel the urge to scratch, I just press that spot a few times to subdue the itchiness. If anyone can recommend a better moisturizer to help with the itchiness and dryness, please tell me. Should I be reapplying moisturizer throughout the day to combat the dryness?

I've also noticed my face is red/rosy and it feels very warm to the touch, almost like I'm running a fever. My mother even told me my face looked darker than normal. I know this is to be expected and I don't think it's that bad...my natural skin color has pink undertones so if anything, it looks like I'm blushing all the time.

Another thing I'm curious to know is if it's necessary to apply BP to my entireface? Normally, I get acne on my cheeks and chin area. I don't want to be putting certain parts of my face under a "harsh" treatment if they never had any problems before. The only reason I've been applying it to my entire face is that I was afraid my face would emerge uneven and spotty. In other words, I don't want to risk getting "before and after" patches on my face when I do another evaluation weeks from now.

And lastly, the regimen says nothing about exfoliating? Dan said that BP is a mild peeling agent. Is that where all this "flakiness" is coming from? How are we suppose to remove and shed the dead skin cells without scrubbing, using washcloths and touching our face?

Thanks,

ante__meridem

Hey there!

I didn't have problems with breakouts while using Bare Minerals, but it did end up making my skin itchy and irritated. There is something in their foundation and powders called bismuth oxychloride, which can cause irritation and sometimes acne in certain people. I also know people who are acne-prone who swear by Bare Minerals, so I think it just depends. There are several good alternatives to Bare Minerals that don't contain bismuth oxychloride. I use a line called Alima Pure, and I love it! Their selection of foundation shades is amazing, and all their products are bismuth oxychloride-free. I definitely recommend checking them out.

I switched to Dan's moisturizer and haven't had any problems with itchiness. It also really helped with the flakiness.

I think skin reacts so differently to exfoliation that it's kind of a grey area, especially with the regimen. My skin has responded really well to exfoliation. I use the Clarisonic brush with my cleanser both AM and PM. I also use Dan's AHA as a spot treatment and as a moisturizer several times a week. Additionally, I use Philosophy's Microdelivery Peel once or twice a week, which has really helped with flaking (I didn't use the peel until Week 3, though, just because my skin was so red). The general recommendation is not to use any additional products, but I went out a limb and added the peel because of how well my skin was responding to the other exfoliation methods. You may want to consider adding AHA and maybe even Jojoba oil to your regimen once you get a bit further along.

I'm sorry I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I hope that helps a little! The first two weeks were the worst for me, so hang in there! There's a light at the end of the tunnel! :)