Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I took my first dose of accutane yesterday which was prescribed by a dermatologist. I have moderate acne which responded well to minocycline but I had to stop taking it because of liver function. I am 20 and weigh about 55kg I think and have been prescribed 60mg in one dose a day, first of all do you think this is the right dosage, I read a post about it being more effective to spread to dose into two, is this correct or should I just follow the doctors advice?

Obviously I haven't had time to develop any of the other symptoms, but I had a bit of a headache earlier and feel pretty tired and nauseous. Has anyone else experienced these side effects? Do they last for the whole course? Because I'm not sure I could spend 5 odd months feeling naseous!

I am also a bit worried about the link between accutane and crohns disease, have these claims been substantiated? I read that three people have successfully sued the manufacturers, suggesting that the accutane did cause the disease and also that around 500 further lawsuits are in progress. The accutane leaflet doesn't really highlight this as a risk and I was just wondering if it is something I should worry about and whether anyone knows the statistics of people who develop this disease? It also worries me that accutane is fairly new and we cannot be sure of the long term effects! Does anyone know if accutane could make people's skin wrinklier when they are older as it reduces oil production?

I was also wondering if anyone knows the success or relapse rate of the drug? Quite a few people on the review page mention their acne coming back and having to take a second course, this might help me to decide if the potential side effects are worth it!

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Accutane board.

Everything I'm writing here are not facts, just personal judgment and experience from this board (have been lurking for a while) and being on Accutane.

The dosage:

Weighing 55kg and taking 60mg per day seems like a pretty normal "set-up" around here, and the whole 20/40mg start and slowly upping it throughout the course is a constant discussion. I say, trust your doctor! And if you don't, change to another derm.

The nauseous and etc

My derm recommended to take 40mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening. By spreading them out you don't stress your body as much and can reduce your nausea and other symptoms. Each time you take a pill, try to include some form of fat (does not need to be unhealthy), like milk or a meal, because the drug becomes more effective that way (don't have any source to this claim, but it's seen as a general rule around here). I also have a theory (I have no medical experience) that your body can only absorb so much of a certain vitamin in a specific time interval/frame, in this case vitamin A, and by spreading your pills out, nothing "goes to waste".

As with Crohns and all that, I really do not care. If it happens, it happens, it's up to you to take the risk.

I'm on 3,5 months, just starting to clear up, or have been clearing up for about 0,5 months now. Never had nausea, only dry skin (easy to fix), a very bad IB and still a red face and loads of red marks and uneven skin.

According to my derm, 90% of his Accutane patients never come back. 9% Come back for maintenance (tropical acid, BP, red marks -> laser, etc) and only 1% goes on a 2nd course.

Nobody has come back for anything but acne, so no Crohns and etc.

Hopes this helps you on the way, if you have any other questions, just ask!

Edited by chkchkchk

My dad & uncle both took accutane back in the 80's so it's been almost 30 years since they took the drug and they're both perfectly healthy. I also had a friend take accutane in high school; about 7 years ago and he hasn't experienced any long term side effects. My brother also took accutane about 2 years ago and he's fine as well.

My dad's friend has had crohn's for most of his life so we've had some conversations about the disease with him and from what he's told us most likely you're born with the disease and something in life triggers it. So the people that ended up getting crohn's from accutane already had the disease, the drug just exacerbated it. I've also read a bit on crohn's and it seems anything can trigger it. I've read that a lot of people suspect that their crohn's was triggered by a course of antibiotics.

Here's 2 links about crohn's and accutane. It seems to support the theory that accutane will only cause crohn's in some people who most likely already have it and it's just dormant before taking the drug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19623167

http://bmartinmd.com/2010/08/link-between-accutane-ibd.html

Edited by Neville86

It also worries me that accutane is fairly new and we cannot be sure of the long term effects!

It's been around for 29 years. It's not fairly new. It works differently for everybody.

I know I shouldn't say this but being on 80mg weighing 170 pounds.... this is the end of my 3rd month... I think the side effects and everything about accutane is all "Hyped Up".

I know I shouldn't say this but being on 80mg weighing 170 pounds.... this is the end of my 3rd month... I think the side effects and everything about accutane is all "Hyped Up".

You read my mind.

You read my mind.

I thought for sure ppl were going to rip me a new one. I understand the potential dangers with this drug as well as every other drug, but I think the day to day side effects are very hyped.

You read my mind.

I thought for sure ppl were going to rip me a new one. I understand the potential dangers with this drug as well as every other drug, but I think the day to day side effects are very hyped.

That's usually what happens to me when I post about Accutane. It's pretty frustrating, but I can't prove anything to anyone on these forums. Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I always post about how well Accutane has worked for people. If they don't want to take it, then they can stop taking it. Nobody is standing in their way. The drug works differently for everybody who's been on it and who plans to take it.

You read my mind.

That's usually what happens to me when I post about Accutane. It's pretty frustrating, but I can't prove anything to anyone on these forums. Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I always post about how well Accutane has worked for people. If they don't want to take it, then they can stop taking it. Nobody is standing in their way. The drug works differently for everybody who's been on it and who plans to take it.

Or maybe because it's because I've seen patients go thru chemo therapy. Those side effects are something to complain about. A little more than dry lips

Or maybe because it's because I've seen patients go thru chemo therapy. Those side effects are something to complain about. A little more than dry lips

Interesting.. I've never thought about it that way. That's a really good perspective, though. It makes sense.

Thank you all for your responses. I think I just saw the link with Crohns and freaked out a little as I work at a hospital and have seen people suffering with it and know it's a horrible disease with no cure. Neville86 your reply really helped, I guess it makes sense that people who are predisposed to Crohns may have earlier onset following accutane. Luckily I'm not aware of it in the family as it may be hereditary, makes you wonder why this isn't something they ask about when presrcibing it.

And to chkchkchk, a 90% no return rate sounds pretty good to me.

All I meant when saying accutane is fairly new, is that it has only been prescribed for acne relatively recently. So we don't know if there will be any long term health effects or health problems when elderly for people prescribed a course in their teens. I guess we can just deal with that when it comes.

I also wonder, in your guys experience, when did the dry skin develop? If you had any at all. And how long till I might develop the initial breakout? My skin is pretty clear at the moment following minocycline and I'm just wondering when I'll know if I've managed to avoid it, it is only day 4 so probably getting ahead of myself.

And does accutane help with blackheads and bumps from ingrowing hairs caused by epilating.

Thanks again!

Honestly? It's unlikely to effect you too adversely, but just be aware of the problems involved. It's a powerful drug. My brother and mother took accutane, and experienced no side effects beyond efflorescent lips. 4 months into my course? I had to stop. Severe headaches, aches, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, loss of concentration, and mild cognitive impairment. I've been off the meds for two days now, and I really hope that these side effects subside. Headaches and aches are gone, though mild cranial tingling. Loss of concentration and cognitive impairment remain, though both ameliorated by relaxation.

Hey guys, I seem to be having a complete computer melt down and I was wondering if anyone can help.. The button to create a new post on message boards seems to have disappeared for me, where is it for everyone else? AM I just being blind?

Also, every time I try to create a gallery, it just pings me back to the forum once I've clicked create album and doesn't let me upload pics. Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me? What else can I try to create an album and upload pictures?

Also I have created a blog but cannot for the life of me add a post to it! I followed the instructions in the help section but I could find no add post button, any ideas? Is it it just me that is finding this website so damn hard to use =(