Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreaseFace

My skin reacts bad to the moisturizers ive tried.

I have mild to moderate acne. It's just a lot of whiteheads and maybe one or two postures. My skin is very dry, sensitive, and oily. There's also some white patches on my face. The moisturizers I've tried make my skin oily, breakout, and they don't help the dryness at all. I've seen two dermatologists. The first one didn't do shit and just old me to put aquaphor on my face which didn't help at all. The 2nd diagnosed me with eczema amdgave me a corticosteroid called cutivate. Cutivate did nothing to help my skin and it made it look like shit. My parents are pretty much giving up on me because nothings helping. I don't know what to do. I feel really self conscious and my skin is getting me down. I know my situation can be worse but the fact that I can't find anything to help myself is frustrating. What should I do?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

You cannot have dry and oily skin. This is genuinely impossible; dry skin means a lack of oil. You have oily skin and are experiencing dehydration of the topical variety, meaning a lack of water. I'm surprised your derms didn't know about dehydrated skin :/ Anyways. My skin was JUST like yours. No moisturizing method would work, let alone even absorb. So it would sit on my face, make me feel and look oily, would not address my skin's inability to retain water post-cleanse, and left me broken out. I had to stop using all products in order to solve my dehydration problem; my skin now retains most of its water after a shower, all peeling/flaking shed itself a few weeks ago, and tightness is minimal. I'm also way less oily.

I'm not saying you need to do this, but you need to find a cleansing method that doesn't make the dehydration worse. So something very gentle that doesn't contribute to the tightness. Otherwise, look for moisturizers labelled for dehydrated skin.

Yeah I tried washing with water only and it made my face even "dryer" or dehydrated. The only times I find comfort in my skin is if I'm in humid weather. My breakouts also lessen in this type of weather. But here in california in the summer its dry and its destroying my face.

Edited by GreaseFace

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Guest davidtheskinking

Stop going to dermatologists apparently! They both didn't help,

Try seeing a holistic dermatologist instead, or instead of taking the advice of others do your own research and learn as much as you can about skin care, health and acne and work to get rid of it yourself based on what you find... google and many other article/video sites online have a lot of great advice to clear your skin up.

Let me know how I can help,

Good luck!

Stop going to dermatologists apparently! They both didn't help,

Try seeing a holistic dermatologist instead, or instead of taking the advice of others do your own research and learn as much as you can about skin care, health and acne and work to get rid of it yourself based on what you find... google and many other article/video sites online have a lot of great advice to clear your skin up.

Let me know how I can help,

Good luck!

I was going to go to a nature path but they're too expensive. I've read a lot of things on the internet and i've tried them but with no luck. I don't know what to do. I've also tried the inside out healing, but it doesn't work at all.

Have you tried the CeraVe Cleanser and Lotion? Look up thier website for more info.

I don't use the Cleanser, not becasue it isn't good. It's just too moistourizing for my skin to use both cleanser and Lotion @ same time.....for me.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Personally, based on your description, I think the best route would be to go water-only or at most use a natural cleanser like honey or oats. Stick it out for 2 months, then see if your skin still looks/feels dehydrated and see if the quality of your oil improves and looks less greasy. I still get oily, but it looks glowy instead of greasy.

I've tried honey as a face wash. It worked for awhile. I think I might actually go back to the organic honey I was using before. The problem back then was hydration and the honey made my skin look weird.

I would just try accutane if you had already been to a dermatologist... It's just my personal opinion but if my first round of treatments don't work, that's what I'll do at least. I used to try all kinds of special treatments and whatnot... but lets be honest, its a hassle. Washing your face with water might work but its not the most hygienic thing you can do.

When I told my dermatologist I was trying to figure out what foods were triggering/caffeine/hormones etc and all of the things I've tried, he basically told me: "Yes, chances are something IS triggering it, but its just not realistic to stay on this sort of routine your entire life". Btw, I use cetaphyl moisturizer... it doesn't seem to affect my skin in any negative way and seems pretty basic.

Edited by robiii

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Yo Greaseface, I had the exact same problem as you, though I do not have eczema so I'm not sure if this actually applies...but anyways, what's worked for me is to wash with the CerVe Foaming Face cleanser--as Espinilla says, it's slightly moisturizing, but there is no residue and this stuff is actually capable of taking off the majority of my make-up (that's really saying something). Afterward I tone and moisturize with Olay's Regenerist Serum--which by the way, I was never able to use before as it was always way too light and not moisturizing enough for my skin. The Olay serum is a good choice for combo skin and it's pretty safe for acne prone skin, but I gotta admit, i'm not sure it'll be a good choice for you if you actually have eczema. But definitely try the CerVe cleanser 'cause maybe you'll find that you can use lighter moisturizers that don't break you out. BTW, I really don't think Accutane's a good idea if you've already got eczema...

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Well how long would you use these methods before thinking "well this just looks/feels weird," and then move on to something else? It takes months for the skin to truly adjust, especially if you aren't doing everything for it. It's taken months for my skin to relearn how to shed itself without me exfoliating, and it's still taking time for it to learn to retain water.

Well I definitely agree there, it takes time to see an improvement with anything depending on what you're using. For example I'm trying out retin a and even though its made my skin look like crap i'll give it a good 10-12 weeks. I was just stating more along the lines of completely holistic routines or ones that are too thorough or frequent as theyre not really realistic for managing a superficial problem.

Edited by robiii

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Hey Greaseface, I found that hydrating cleansers clogged my pores, but that's just me. I did want to make you aware of hyaluronic acid serum. You find it in many hydrating moisturizers as an ingredient, but you can buy pure HA (save for some preservatives to prevent bacterial growth), and you can use it all on it's own, or with carrier oils, or to enhance the moisturizing effects of a moisturizer. It also helps the skin heal, and I've never seen reports of people breaking out from pure HA. I have eczema myself, and I use it on the occasional breakouts I'll get to help sooth skin.

Edited by tim12

.... I use a holistic method (water-only) and it has completely managed my superficial problem of greasy skin and acne. I now have glowing skin in place of greasy skin, and my acne is more or less gone in that I have stopped getting random frequent breakouts. I have maybe 3-4 pimples now, only one of them being new, and all of them almost healed. And that new one is so small that it's barely even visible, and was due to touching my face with my machine-cleaning hand while at the gym (the cleaning solution bothers my skin). I even do water-only for my whole body, and my dry, peeling skin is pretty much gone now, while my scalp is no longer greasy and my hair is painfully soft.

I think it would be kind of idiotic to go onto Accutane for a superficial problem that can be reduced or remedied by finding a gentler skincare routine or even just frequent blotting. Unless he has severe acne, Accutane should not even be on his mind.

And washing with just water is perfectly hygienic. You don't eat off of your face, you don't rub shit into your face. Did you know that in the shower, even if you use soap, the bacteria simply gets spread around as opposed to actually being entirely removed? Seriously, people these days are waaay too freaked over bacteria. You actually need bacteria within your system. This is why there are PSAs that tell you to not take meds for colds and whatnot all the time as it can make the bugs resistant. Because I'm not using anything but water on my face, my pH level is far more stable, meaning that my skin actually maintains a natural bacterial resistance to outside bacteria. Hence less breakouts and healthier skin.

When I meant hygeinic, I meant in the sense that you get off germs that cause common illnesses/diseases. And well... washing with just water isn't exactly what I meant by holistic.. to be honest I hadn't thought in those extremes :P I just meant only eating a very specific diet, rubbing all kinds of mixtures at certain times during the day, etc... it works in a completely controlled environment(aka go home every day, go to kitchen at so and so time, etc, repeat), but if you have a lifestyle where you might go to a friend's house or travel, or simply don't have such a regular schedule or can always control what you eat it's unpractical. And we do need bacteria, but they emphasize that for internal processes like biofidus which regulate your digestive tract :P Sure there may be external, and you may have science to back it up but I haven't exactly heard of it being healthier not to use soap.

And as for water, It is good to hear that water works for you. But I live in NYC, and yeah... not the most serene place to just go not taking a shower(aside from that it is humid!). Since I exercise routinely, I would smell like BO if I were to try just using water(deoderant works, but layering on top of old deoderant is not such a nice idea). I think I smell worn enough after having a good nights rest tbh. Besides that, I've smelled very clean looking people who don't use deoderant or didn't shower or something(for example, 2 slightly obese people in front of me on the train. Whether it was sweat or what, I don't know but it goddamn smelled compared to the others). I wouldn't want to be standing near people smelling like anything really(including chemicals). I'm sure a caveman would smell like shit walking around in modern times btw. Its also been proven that soap DOES kill(99.9% of) bacteria. It is living, so if you smear around dead germs who cares.

As for people smearing shit on their face:

http://youtu.be/7LjHJoK_HGQ

you never know ;D "I'm sorry that I don't shit with a hazmat suit on".

Edited by robiii

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Well sorry then; seems you know more than enough for your regimen. Personally I very rarely get sick, maybe a cold once a year for 3 or 4 days so i'm just sticking to what works for me.

but yeah in cases of purely hormonal acne and not skin sensitivity, I just dont think much makes a difference. I could go to mcdonalds every day(though I dont!) or eat lean chicken, vegetables, drink water and tea etc and it makes no difference... Soo just for these particular cases(which I dont know if this is true but my derm tolf me is the case for most ppl who have persistent acne), it doesnt seem significant enough to change your lifestyle for the inevitable. I think of course its a great idea to eat whole foods, drink water etc for good internal long term health but to change your every day life for acne that doesnt go away anyway it just doesnt seem worth it to me.

Edited by robiii

Hi there! Finding a good moisturizer can be incredibly tricky. Personally, I dont even use moisturizers anymore at all, and don't really feel like I need to anymore. I had incredibly oily skin until I changed my facial wash. I now use Glytone mild gel wash which contains glycolic acid. Glycolic acid is great for controlling oily skin. The wash balances the PH of your skin. It does not dry out the skin, but still manages to clean the pores extremely well. You can order the wash online or you can probably buy it from any local spa. Maybe you should give up on moisturizing your face. Honestly, I don't think using one is necessary if you are using the right kind of facial wash.