Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ylem

Silicone followed by dermabrasion by a wire brush

Does anoyone think that you can get the most dramatic improvement in depressed acne scarring through using the microdroplet technique numerous times until the depressions are elevated close to the surrounding skin, followd by several sessions of dermbrasion by a wire brush to reduce the 'shadowing' remnant texture. I have noticed over the past several day I can feel my deep left cheek scars becoming shallower, but the cosmetic apppearance of my skin is at its absolute worst. I'm hoping it's just the accuatne that is making my skin and scars look lie shit. I even got a new one on my right cheek, which is now developing this 'orange peel' texture it never had before redoing the accuatne. :(I'm not sure I'm doing all that well, and my depresssion is is severe. The only thing keeping me going is the possibility of this silicone helping.

Edited by ylem

That is good news that the silicone is starting to work some. I thought I'd update everyone on my progress with silicone, I think I only told ylem, but about 5 weeks ago I did travel to chicago to try one more round of silicone. I had previously done two rounds for older scars years ago with Dr. Alkek in Texas but didn't see any significant improvement. Well, like ylem, I ended upt get two new wider scars the past few years that really bothered me so I decided, since I already have silicone in my face, not much more risk to get it again and see if it helps the new scars. I have a whole syringe injected in various scars all over my face, old and new. The old scars still do not look much improved, and they have now had three rounds. However, a small poc type scar on my forehead did respond well, almost after the first week, and my two deeper newer scars do look a little better now after a month. I also dermarolled after silicone injection to help increase the collagen and I think that helped. They did look darker for awhile from the needling but now the color is going back and looking better.

I have also been using a topical after dermarolling that has really helped, I got it from Walgreens, it is Dr. Lewinn by Kinerase Lift and Resculpt Serum XK. It is great for all over moisturization and has made my skin look healthier.

On the downside of the silicone injection, I did receive one breakout where the needle went in and causes a massive bruise. I now have a bit of a raised area of what looks like a little line of scar tissue there. With makeup it really isn't that noticeable, and I am hoping it will get better with time, but that has made me very wary of going back again. So I will probably just continue to dermaroll and be happy my scars do look better than they did last month.

Ylem, I think you should get off accutane, because that makes depression worse. Also, I would think dermabrasion would take out some of the silicone in your face. Give your skin time to fill in from silicone treatments and then just see what you need. Sometimes a little concealer will make the shadows looks so much better, I know you're a guy, but you could play around with it. Even though my scars look a little more filled, they are still noticeable, but when I put concealer over them, the improvement is alot better. Also, just try to stay healthy and take vitamins. Good luck!

The silicone is definitely helping, not so much cosmetically as with depth. I am starting to have a harder time 'feeling' the depressions when before I could put my entire finger inside one. But, when I look at them using the back of a CD in my car during daylight, they all look hideously bad, just worse than ever :(It's just that the new scars I got on my right cheek are really bothering me. I caught bad lighting in a bathroom mirror on my right cheek, which used to look ok in bad lighting, and is now full of depressed scars. This put me over the edge to where I am calling up for another appoitnment tomorrow.

I think silicone in the right hands is really the only thing that works. I have tried DEEP FX, dermabrasion with a wire brush, silicone by an inexpereinced doctor, punch excision (which are not for rolling scars), subcision combined with deep fx, smoothbeam, to name just a few over the past decade. None of this made the difference silicone is making, but maybe this is a temporary effect and in a few months they'll all go back to being deep again. Who knows. All I know is my scarring is getting worse, so I went cold turkey on a dairy food once again.

Dermbrasion will not unroof the silicone, I don't think, because I did DEEP FX a couple times after silicone and nothing happened. The silicone is injected much deeper than any resurfacing procedure can go.

Edited by ylem

Ok, update. Things are looking much better. I just had a major 'shallowing of my big depressions over my left cheek. Cosmetically, there is a small difference in the appearance, but the physical depth is MUCH MUCH shallower. I think this doctor might just be what I needed for this and Rebellygrl was right about him. Lets hope this improvement stays. Quick fact: injected on the 24th of June, had swelling for 2 weeks that subsided and the depth of the scars was still the same before the injection. Now, over the last couple of days I have noticed MAJOR shallowing. They say 3-4 weeks between injections, and they're right. Right at the 3 week mark is when I started to notice the filling. I think this is working and I pray that after 10 years of suffering I can finally be happy enough with my skin to move on with my life. Im still taking accutane and hoping the cysts never come back after a second course of it.

I think this doctor is not afraid of silicone and really knows how to 'go for it', where my previous doctor was way too conservative. Lets hope in the next couple months I still feel this way. Next appointment for round 2 is on the 25th. At the rate things are going now, I can;t wait. Wish me luck.

Edited by ylem

Hey - Like I said privately - I had a dermabrasion with Dr. Fulton in Miami and 3 rounds of micro silicone droplets. He is brilliant and because he endured acne he understands what it means to go through it.

My skin has improved and I have no doubt that I will get a 90% improvement. I will not give up : )

Hey - Like I said privately - I had a dermabrasion with Dr. Fulton in Miami and 3 rounds of micro silicone droplets. He is brilliant and because he endured acne he understands what it means to go through it.

My skin has improved and I have no doubt that I will get a 90% improvement. I will not give up : )

Did he do it with a wire brush?

Did he do it with a wire brush?

He did manually. I am not sure - I will ask him.

There are two techniques- wire brush and diamond fraise, both are manual, as that is precisely what dermabrasion is. Be sure to make this clear as the wire brush technique is supposed to be superior to the diamond fraise for acne pitting.

Edited by ylem

Updates...after many sessions of silicone and many months since I lasted posted here, I can say it has definitely reduced the depth and severity of my scarring. I am sticking with Dr Resnick for a long term treatment plan w mirodroplet and hope to have dermbrasion after. I am still on accutane (almost a year now), because I am afraid to breakout in scarring acne again. The accutane, of course, has definitely killed my stubborn acne for now. I have also been getting multiple Dysport (similar to botox injections) on my forehead to reduce the pitted scarring on my forehead that is made worse looking by movement. I have probably dropped another $10,000 over the last year becaus my income is alot better, but im draining myself financially over it. i am giving up all vacations, having children, etc. because I just can't feel happy enough until my scars are gone. I have so much silicone in my face now from dozens of microdroplet sessions with multiple doctors through the years that when I smile, my face has a very 'taught' and tough feeling. I don;t look unnatural tough, so that's all I care about. after im thru with silicone i will drop eating dairy, go off accutane so that I can start having many rounds of deep dermabraison with sandpaper and acid. I'm doing the very best of the best in acne scars treatments after trying laser (every kind), punch excisions, silicone w a bad doc, dermabrasion with yarborough (wish he was still around), subcision w a Nokor needle and deep fx, both of wish did nothing for me. Having spent so many tens of thousands of dollars on depressed acne scar treatment and fighting deep, disfiguring cystic acne for many, many years I can say that fighting it has hurt me so much financially as far as saving for retirement. I hope to soon be able to get on with saving and maybe doing some good deed for others instead of feeling like a total narcissist.

As a veteran member, I'm officially coming out on this board as a gay man in my 30's, but did come out in my personal life as a kid in my teens. Like lots of gay men, I struggle with anxiety and depression and see a therapist to keep that under control. I bring this up because so many of you know me, and hopefully can understand how this feels for someone like me who has so many other issues to deal with. Fortunately though, as gloomy as this message seems, silicone w dr resnick has been my very best option. Nothing works quite like it, and i don't have as many of those real sinking feelings I used to get in the pit of my stomach when I catch bad lighting.

Edited by ylem

Good to hear silicon worked for you, I'm having a temporary filler injection this week! Could you inform me about the Dysport injections? Aren't you able to move your facial muscles at all after them? How strong are they?

So happy it is finally working out for you ylem! I didn't really like my last set of silicone injections and don't think I want to go further with them. Maybe if I was closer to Dr. Resnick. I know you have spent a lot of money and it is a real committment to see the results with it. Doctors have been trying to sell me on the Smartxide dot laser but I don't know if it would really work and be worth the downtime. I don't want to make the scars worse either. Maybe I will just think about my options for awhile (and save money.)

Ive read a lot of your posts ylem and often wondered if you were a guy or girl so thanks for clearing that up. also good to hear that something is finally working for you, you're a very strong person.

So happy it is finally working out for you ylem! I didn't really like my last set of silicone injections and don't think I want to go further with them. Maybe if I was closer to Dr. Resnick. I know you have spent a lot of money and it is a real committment to see the results with it. Doctors have been trying to sell me on the Smartxide dot laser but I don't know if it would really work and be worth the downtime. I don't want to make the scars worse either. Maybe I will just think about my options for awhile (and save money.)

Yes, Tricia...people, esp. newbies on the board, need to understand that acne scar treatment is a very long process and takes real financial and emotional investment. It's not over a period of a few months or even a few years. It takes more like a decade, if not more, to 'accumulate' enough improvement to where you really start to notice it consistently, and the scars begin to look better and better in harsh lighting. My scarring is still quite severe to me, just because I messed up and relapsed into eatin dairy and did not take accuatne again until last June. I have been on tan consistently, 80 mgs/day for 6 months, then 10 mgs/day for 2 more months, and low low dose ( 20 mgs/week) for as long as I can get my doc to prescribe it to me. I got more bad scarring around late 2009/early2010, almost 10 years after my initial course of accutane, which went up to 120 mgs per day. Unlike many on the board, I was fighting non-stop acne/whiteheads and occasional cysts nearly the entire time I've been posting here. That is until I figured out that dairy was the culprit. I can consume dairy in smaller quantities now with the help of accutane, but off of it I am having to check every single lable for any milk ingredients, and life just becomes too hard that way. It's nice to know I can have a bowl of ice cream once in a while because accutane will 'protect' my skin. I love accutane, and I never want to stop it. I know it sounds crazy, and my tear production is just about shot i've taken so much of it, but it's the only thing that works, and the silicone is the only thing that has helped with the deep depressions that the cysts left behind.

Dysport is very strong. I cannot move any of my orehead muscle anymore and I love it. My forehead is so badly scarred, and the movement just exacerbates the appearance of the scarring, so I had to get it done. Nothing else worked, even silicone for my forehead scarring. Trust me when I say I have scarring EVERYWHERE. But, it's getting better, and I feel my appearance is becoming more 'manageable' I just hate those occasional sinking feelings when I catch bad lighting and my skin looks like Edward James Olmos.