Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UpOnTheMoon

10 cysts surfacing on my cheek. What to do.

Hi everyone,

I have had acne for 9 years and cysts for about a year. Yesterday I made a post about how my acne is getting better and I think I might've jinxed myself.

Today I have two new growing cysts that have been small skin colored bumps under my skin for a few months. I have ten other small white bumps exactly like it waiting... After a month of having somewhat clear skin... I was really hopeful that my acne was pretty much disappearing. But, because of this, I now know that it was just a false hope.

Is there anything I can do to prevent those small bumps from becoming cysts... I mean they have always turned into cysts. I exofoliate once a week, I use bp every night and put on tons of it as recommended by Dan. I wash my face twice a day, once at night once in the morning. I wash my hair everyday. I keep away from my face. I don't touch my face. I put on lotion. I do everything in my power to keep them from surfacing or from getting new ones. And it just does not work.

I realy want to cry. This was my good cheek. The other one is already all scarred up. This one only has a couple of scars... And with 10 cysts on the way... it's going to start looking like the other one.

Really is there anything I can do besides drugs to treat it? Anything... I'm really upset about this. I sincerely thought I was seeing the light at the end, that shimmer of hope. But as usual, it slaps me in the face to bring me back to reality. :/

Tips anyone? Your personal experiences like this?

Hi everyone,

I have had acne for 9 years and cysts for about a year. Yesterday I made a post about how my acne is getting better and I think I might've jinxed myself.

Today I have two new growing cysts that have been small skin colored bumps under my skin for a few months. I have ten other small white bumps exactly like it waiting... After a month of having somewhat clear skin... I was really hopeful that my acne was pretty much disappearing. But, because of this, I now know that it was just a false hope.

Is there anything I can do to prevent those small bumps from becoming cysts... I mean they have always turned into cysts. I exofoliate once a week, I use bp every night and put on tons of it as recommended by Dan. I wash my face twice a day, once at night once in the morning. I wash my hair everyday. I keep away from my face. I don't touch my face. I put on lotion. I do everything in my power to keep them from surfacing or from getting new ones. And it just does not work.

I realy want to cry. This was my good cheek. The other one is already all scarred up. This one only has a couple of scars... And with 10 cysts on the way... it's going to start looking like the other one.

Really is there anything I can do besides drugs to treat it? Anything... I'm really upset about this. I sincerely thought I was seeing the light at the end, that shimmer of hope. But as usual, it slaps me in the face to bring me back to reality. :/

Tips anyone? Your personal experiences like this?

'

Why are you using BP only at night? What exact products are you using on your face. I have a feeling something you are using is causing the acne/cysts.

Ok well I use 5%bp. which is the reason why i only use it at night. My dermatologist directed that i use it at night. I use cetaphil gentle cleansing bar, cetaphil moisturizing lotion, my shampoo is pert shampoo. And that's about it. Oh, and on my back I use clarant b3 by ponds. That's the only thing besides cetaphil that goes on my back. It seems to be improving though.

My routine has been the same for about two years. The lotion I've used it on and off. It's back in my routine now. The clarant b3 I have been using it for 4 months. But again, only on my back.

I'm super careful with the products. I wash my hands before and after using them and make sure that the hand with which I will apply it with will only touch the product, not the bottle not my arm, but only the product then my face.

Oh and I forgot, I use the equate bead scrub to exfoliate in the shower. Once a week. I leave it on for about 30 secs. I've been using that for about 3-4 months.

Well first of all anything with beads or scrubbing agents are bad for your face. So I would stop that equate bead scrub asap... Also cetaphil moisturizer would break me out bad! So you might want to look into another moisturizer. Only other one ive tried is Dan's and it works amazing for me. I would go ahead and use the BP in the morning as well. I was using 10% in the morning and night till I got Dan's 2.5% for a while with no problems.

That sucks. It sounds like you're already being really careful with your skincare routine. If you're a girl, maybe consider going on birth control to regulate your hormones. If you don't have that option, and you REALLY want to avoid drugs, what about changing your diet? You don't have to go all extreme or anything, but maybe you'll find that cutting down on dairy, sugar, or processed foods helps. At the very least, you should start taking a zinc and/or fish oil supplement to help your body out.

I don't think it could be your products if you're already exfoliating and using the bp preventively every night (though I have to say, I think cetaphil lotion is evil too). If all else fails, maybe you can ask your dr for antibiotics and differin gel. I used to get a lot of cysts (or maybe just really horribly inflamed zits) all the time and going on antibiotics really helped me. Just make sure your dr doesn't keep you on them indefinitely.

Edited by alphabetpony

So I didn't use the lotion today. I will lay off it to see what will happen without it. I'll also stop using the scrub to see if my face will do well without it.

As for diet change. I was taking zinc suppliments and I was watching my diet a few months ago. I stopped taking zinc and alpha lipoic acid after I started having other health consequences. Like constant heart burn from the acid, and I was scared of zinc poisoning as well.

My acne was stable. It became even more stable after I stopped caring about my diet again. In fact...for some strange reason when I drink excessive amounts of water or when I try to remain completely healthy, my acne gets worse! Maybe it's the fact that I'm always worried about what I need to eat. :/ Stress acne I suppose.

Yes I do have birth control pills but I am scared to try them. whats your experience with those? I've been waiting on them as last resort. But I do have them there, waiting.. haha.

I agree antibiotics are a wonderful thing, but it's not as wonderful when they stop working and your acne comes back worse than before you started. I was on them for a year.

Yeah, I was on antibiotics for almost 2 yrs, I think, (still am actually) and now it's looking like I'm gonna have to take accutane. My experience with birth control has been kinda traumatizing so I know how you feel. I've tried more than a few though, and I had some success with a low dose bc once--managed to stick it out for 3 whole months--but then I decided it wasn't helping with the acne, so I was like f this, and I quit taking it. Big mistake. When I started trying to quit the antibiotics I realized that it would've helped a lot if I had still been on it and my hormones were regulated (plus, I looked back and realized that maybe it actually was helping). I recently tried to start that same bc again and apparently my hormones have changed 'cause my body seems to hate it now.

The thing is, anything that keeps your hormones regular is bound to help your acne in the long run. My sister had some pretty severe acne as a teen (way worse than mine) and it magically started to disappear about a year after she started birth control. Sometimes it takes a long time, but I suspect it could make a difference for most people. If the side effects are bearable, try to stick it out--for most people the side effects go away within 3 months.

It's funny though, like you, I am currently sitting on a brand new bc (higher in estrogen this time) but I've been too scared to start it. That last one I tried gave me an IB on top all the other crappy side effects. Then again, yesterday I got a brand new cyst, so I'm starting to think it might be worth trying one again. Here's hoping we'll both have good luck with them.

Which antibiotics were you on? I tried doxyciclyne and minociclyne. Doxy was a miracle worker while mino was terrible. I tried it for a short while because it made me feel horrible.

What about the birth control? Which brand were you using? I'm getting a little desperate and I'm about to try ortho-tri-cyclen. I suppose that it really could aggravate my acne, but in a few months I'll have the money to go in and have some chemical peels or maybe even laser so even if I do get nasty big ones, at least I know that I'll be going in to get scar treatment. I really hope it doesn't come down to that. I'm really desperate though.

I was really hopeful. I really thought I was nearing the end of my acne. Man, how lucky are who's acne goes away with just benzoyl peroxide.

If the cysts are still at an early stage, if you'll use the ice treatment as I posted somewhere else on this board, I guarantee you'll make the upcoming cysts much more manageable and much less noticeable.

Yeah, actually that ice treatment really does help! Less inflammation=less chance of scarring. And try not to worry too much right now about the scarring--a lot of times it can seem real bad in the first month (sometimes even for a couple) but remember that no one but you actually notices that stuff and overtime the marks will most likely fade and even themselves out. ...I was studying my sister's skin yesterday and I couldn't help noticing that her skin is now completely even and you wouldn't even know she suffered from such bad acne for YEARS (and she never even bothered using retins!). Anyways, I was on mino, and that worked so well for me that I basically forgot what it was like to have acne for awhile (it sucks even more now).

BTW, the bc I was using before was Loestrin Fe 1/20 (low dose), but as I said, everyone responds to birth control differently, and from what I've read, a lot of people don't like low-dose bc's--esp for acne, as they can actually increase androgen production (and this seemed to be the case for me the second time around 'cause I became oily as a 14 yr old boy!). My dr just prescribed the higher estrogen "Zovia" instead, to see if I respond better. But Ortho-tri-cyclen is actually one of the recommended bc's for curing acne so I think it's worth trying. You might get an IB as your body adjusts, but hopefully it wont last longer than 2 weeks and it'll be worth it in the long run if this cures you. If you do get really bothersome side effects and they don't seem like they're starting to fade by the end of the first pack, just tell your dr what exactly what they are and ask to switch to a different bc on the next pack. The side effects you get will be clues as to which bc might be more suited to you.

If the cysts are still at an early stage, if you'll use the ice treatment as I posted somewhere else on this board, I guarantee you'll make the upcoming cysts much more manageable and much less noticeable.

Can you send me the link to your post? I've iced my pimples in the past but, I've never had any luck. Maybe I wasn't doing the technique corretcly.

Alphabetpony, I'll try out the bc and since ortho is the recommended one I'll see what happens. It seems that every summer I have to find a new treatment for my acne because the one before it stopped working soon after summer starts. It's become a tradition of mine.

About the scarring, the skin around my eyebrows has been acne free for a while. Since I was around 16, that's when I stopped getting cysts there. The skin color is very even. I'm very happy about it... but that's also the area where I have the deepest scars. I've been told that that's the area where my most noticeable scars are at even though the skin tone is even!! That's the reason why I'm considering scar treatment this winter and the fact that my skin doesn't heal well at all. Any little scratch leaves a long term scar.

Has your sister used anything at all for her scars? What about you?

Can you send me the link to your post? I've iced my pimples in the past but, I've never had any luck. Maybe I wasn't doing the technique corretcly.

Can't send the link from my phone, but the title of the thread is "Simple Yet Profoundly Successful Treatment". I posted it less than a week ago. Incidentally, by the time you start applying the ice, the cysts may be too far along to be of maximum effectiveness. I'm sure it will still help, but maybe not as much as if you had applied at an earlier point. And it's good to know you have a really effective weapon in your battle against future outbreaks.

Nah, my sister basically didn't use anything but BHA and occasionally AHA by the time her acne went away--and even then, she didn't use them regularly; she is extremely low maintenance, and by this point, she'd long since accepted her acne and had quit trying to fight it. I honestly don't know how she could stand it, but I guess she's just really strong that way.

I'm an extremely slow healer too! I hate it--but my sister's skin gives me hope 'cause I'm pretty sure it runs in the family. For already healed scars, I use .1% differin gel. The differin gel can definitely make a difference (been using it 5yrs) but progress is almost as slow as a regular person--like 3-6 months 'till things start evening out, but hey, within a year even the real bad ones seem gone (I rarely even remember where they were at this point so I don't really keep track). I like to dab Manuku Honey or sometimes Neosporin on the healing zits until they're completely healed---it seems to help things heal smoother, and I've read that wounds can heal better if they're kept moist and free of infection. It's totally messy though (you'll be gettin honey all over your honey) so watch out. Anyways, good luck with Ortho! Hope that one works for you.

Brinkwalker, Im trying out the ice technique. I'll see how that works out. And yes it was too late for most of them.. The other cheek though, I started doing what you said.

Alphabetpony,

I tried using organic honey on my face for a few days but I broke out. I don't know what the heck happened there but I stopped before it got out of control. I'll also chek out differing since you say it works pretty well. But thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

Brinkwalker, Im trying out the ice technique. I'll see how that works out. And yes it was too late for most of them.. The other cheek though, I started doing what you said.

Moon, it's been a couple of days since you said you were going to use the ice treatment on some of those new cysts. Did you, and if so, have you noticed any difference in the cysts you applied it to?

Moon, it's been a couple of days since you said you were going to use the ice treatment on some of those new cysts. Did you, and if so, have you noticed any difference in the cysts you applied it to?

I think it did work in a way. I mean it's scarring the same like it always does but during the time that it was at its peak, it just didn't seem as red or painful. I tried it on one of them, just to compare you know. But thank you so much! I just hope that it continues to help me out so to at least not have really bright red spots! haha.

I think it did work in a way. I mean it's scarring the same like it always does but during the time that it was at its peak, it just didn't seem as red or painful. I tried it on one of them, just to compare you know. But thank you so much! I just hope that it continues to help me out so to at least not have really bright red spots! haha.

Moon, I feel really sympathetic about your situation. You seem like a sweet young girl, and it hurts me to see you or anyone like you having to deal with this curse.

That's why I'm also very much frustrated by you and by many of the readers of this board. Properly treating nascent acne cysts is next-to-guaranteed to reduce inflammation and duration of the bump. When you say that it kinda worked and that you tried it on one, it's clear to me that you didn't make a committed effort to use the ice to maximum effect.

Moon, please don't think that I'm singleing you out for criticism. In fact, it makes me sad that you don't understand how much you can help yourself. No young person should have to suffer the pain and anxiety this damned disease brings. That's why it makes no sense to my why more people don't make a genuine, concerted effort to use what will undoubtedly be a useful tool.

Brinkwalker, I really appreciate your help. No, I know it seems like I didn't stay committed but it's because it was already too late like you said for the other ones I had. My other cheek I only had two. I used it on one of them and left the other one alone to compare. I also compared it to the pictures I took of the the other ones when they were still fresh. They're all turning into purple marks now so they're pretty much going away I suppose. I'll keep an eye on the one I iced to see if now it looks like it's scarring like usual, but maybe later on it won't be as deep a scar?

So I really did try don't get me wrong. I just haven't gotten any new ones (thank goodness) to practice this technique. Now I at least now something useful to help me out in this summer breakout.

It's terrible, it's sad... but the day I posted this I was really frustrated because I had gone a couple of months with almost clear skin. Then bam... 10 of them on my good cheek, the one with only two scars!

I guess I'm getting delivered what I missed those couple of months with clear skin haha.

No, but really, it's real helpful to hear from you and those who replied. It was real emotional support and I also got some good information. My mood lifted after getting responses. I also made sure I went out and spent time with people who I care about just having a good time to relieve some stress and forget about my face. Maybe it won't really help my acne much, but I feel so much better. Even better than before they came out.

I'm hopeful that even if I don't completely rid myself of my acne, that this is just my usual summer break out as I mentioned before. I'm definitely doing as much as I can without overdoing it. I don't know if you get what I mean.

Currently I am following these tips from this topic: the icing tip, the keep away from cetaphil lotion, and the keep away from bead scrubs tip.

I'm going to follow these for like the rest of this month to see how well it goes for me. As far as I can tell my skin isn't doing breaking out again. I just hope it goes back to how it was before this happened to me.

So please don't get frustrated with me, I listen and practice what sounds helpful. :) I just test and compare first.