Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chikyuu

My Mom just held me down and picked my back.

she sounds extremely closed-minded, but the sunburn thing really does work. just not in the way that she says.

I had to add to this thread. I wonder how many parents abuse their children by forcing them to endure the pain of having their zits popped?

I am 37 now. I started getting acne around age 12. For the next few years my mother regularly picked the zits on my face, shoulders, back. The first few times I protested. I told her it hurt. I asked her not to do it. She said that she was my mother, that I came out of her, so she had a right to do that to my body. She claimed an instance where the medical profession would pick zits. My mother pinned my body under hers (she was still bigger than me) and forcibly picked my zits. I couldn't stop it. So when it happened, I learned to retreat inward into my mind, to retreat from the pain. And I started to pick my own zits. I figured if they were already picked then my mother couldn't do that to me. I have tried to stop picking my own zits for 20 years - it has become a compulsion. Fortunately, the bad acne from my teen years cleared up, but it is crazy that I still pick at myself.

I have a friend who is studying to become a therapist. She told me that what my mother did was abuse, and very similar to rape, because it was a physical violation of myself.

I was just on the computer and she just grabbed my shoulders. I wriggled but she lightly smacked me and told me not to start my crap. So I just sat there while she picked and squeezed every tiny body pimple I had.

I want to punch her in the face.

I know you're looking for sympathy, but honestly I wish my parents had given a rat's butt about my acne. I might have found a cure 10 years earlier. Not that I agree with the way your mom handled it, but if she cares a lot, you can get her to channel that energy into helping you find and pay for a treatment.

Gently squeezing out pus is fine.. Don't force stuff out that is under the skin, but if a whitehead is clearly visible, if you remove the pus in the right way it is better for your skin than letting INFECTED PUS SIT INSIDE AND STRETCH YOUR SKIN for days or weeks on end.

I have always removed pus when it is was visible. The nodules that never came to a head, EVERY SINGLE ONE is a pitted scar. I do NOT have scars from the areas I squeezed. I think stuff sitting inside your skin and stretching it can be pretty damaging. Every time I've been to a dermatologist with pussy nodules, they have lanced and drained them, they don't just let them sit there.

Gentle squeezing > leaving things alone and letting it stretch your skin > "bad" forcible picking

Edited by Green Gables

I dont think she ment any harm she properly thought she was trying to help you,

back in her genration that is how they delt with pimples they had even invented a picker for it, that you burst it and get the puss out,

Well, you could threaten to report her if this is an ongoing problem... Other people aren't allowed to physically harm you, even if they're your parents.

wth mate. way over the top

Jesus....Some of the stories I come across on these boards. And to think acne is dismissed as a trivial problem (hence the lack of quality research on an actual cure or a more effective, safer, and long-term alternative to accutane) rolleyes.gif

Me on the other hand, I wish one or both of my parents would've forcibly pinned me down when I was younger because I PICKED my face nonstop. *facepalm* I really wish I should've listened to them then I probably wouldn't have as many scars as I do now :(