Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok, so i already started a blog, but it seems that more people are receptive to the accutane board so i'll try this instead. here is the last (and first) blog entry that i did.

So, I first started getting acne when I was about 14 or 15 years old. My periods were never regular but all my doctors told me it was normal. Last summer I decided to address some problems I was having. I went to a dermatologist complaining about my troubles with acne. I was nearly turned 22 and had this rash like acne all over my skin. Not red or anything, just tiny bumps all over my face. Under the sunlight I felt really self concious. I also had all these really large cyst like acne all over my jaw line. My derma told me it might be PCOS and had I ever been tested for it. I found an obgyn who confirmed that I really do have it. She said she was also concerned about my liver functions (my enzyme count was really high) as well as my sugar levels (pre pre diabetic??). My mom also wanted me to get tested for this rare blood disorder which it turns out I have. So there's something called MTHFR and I have a mutated strand or something like that. Fast forward to present day. My liver functions are normal. I'm supposed to be taking metfformin for my sugar levels but it makes my stomach hurt like crazy. And because of my blood problem, I can't take normal types of birth control that could help with my acne and hormon levels. So, my new dermatologist decided to put me on accutane.

I started mid june. She put me on a low dosage cause of all my other health problems, so I'm starting out on 40 mg. I'll do that for one more month until I visit with her and we'll reassess (that's august 12th).

My dosage is low but I'm definitely feeling the effects. When I first started, the first changes I saw were

1. My little rash-like textured bumps disappeared

2. My lips were dying!

I woke up after a few days and it felt like my lips were someone elses. They kind of felt... Rubbery. It was really weird. After about 5 or so days my skin looked like I had been sunburned. Not in color but in peeling. I'm a redhead so I peel anytime I'm burned. I freaked out about my face and bought a nice moisturizer with spf (its by laura mercier).I would lather it on and then try to put on foundation.

Ha, it failed. My skin basically peeled off whatever I tried putting on it. Its like my skin would absorb nothing.

I've stopped even trying to wear lipstick because my lips just look flaky and gross. Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and be ugly during my treatment!! Haha, or natural at least.

I came to the acne boards last night because some new developments have been made and I want to see if they are normal.

Oh, my doctor put me on the medication in the summer because I get kind of depressed in the wintertime and she didn't want to risk anything.

So, my scalp has been itching pretty bad lately. I hate it because I constantly look like a crazy person!

My lips are obviously chapped and my skin is, of course, super dry.

I developed some headaches this past week but I'm not tooooo concerned about it because my sleep pattern was kind of messed up. Also, I haven't had much water, and anytime those two things are combined I get a headache. Its not pounding its just a slight ache in my frontal lobe.

Hmmmm... What else? It seems that the blackheads I have are like... Coming to a head and I don't really know what to do about it. Also, does anyone know of when is best to apply moisturizer, morning or night? And what about exfoliating to get the dead skin off? What kind of chapstick works best? Does anyone else feel super dehydrated? Well... Hopefully someone will read this. Sigh.

i'm trying to upload pictures but they just keep not showing up so i have no idea how to work this thing. i know, i'm stupid.

even though i'm on day 22 or whatever i feel like my skin is still breaking out and it's annoying. not sure how much longer this lasts... i guess until my regimen is almost complete.

well, leave your thoughts, comments, advice, and encouragement! heaven knows i need it.

post-153931-1310189715_thumb.jpg

post-153931-1310189715_thumb.jpg

Edited by mynameisjulia

i realized i should also point out past treatments that i've tried. so, i started off just using cetaphil. then when my acne started getting worse, i thought maybe a more expensive brand would help. so i tried some designer face wash and moisturizers. it didn't really make much of a difference.

i went to a dermatologist and they put me on differin. didn't really do anything for me and i didn't really like it. i tried this stuff, i can't remember what it's called, but it was this white lotion and it dried areas up like hard core intense.

that worked for a while but then my skin was just dry and flakey and gross.

so i gave up on that and decided to visit a different dermatologist. they suggested i try some anti-biotics. those worked for a few months, but then the acne came back. this time it came with rash like attributes, which i mentioned in my first post.

so after getting frustrated with that, my derma told me to keep taking the anti-biotics as well as a two step topical set.

i'm really bad at remembering these names but when i go home i'll see if i have them written down anywhere. anyway, those two topical gels worked for about 6 months. then my cystic acne got really bad on my jawline. i went to a new dermatologist to see if they could try anything else.

she told me that since it seemed like i'd been around the bend that perhaps it was time for accutane.

so here i am. also, i've had acne on my arms, chest, and back, and accutane was my best bet to clear up my entire body of acne.

that should be a pretty complete background on my journey through all this craziness!

Hey, thanks for stopping by and saying hi on my accutane post. I moved it over to accutane logs.

I wishing you the best and happy to have another one join the long list of current tane users.

Ahhhh........just a few more days before I start!

well, today was long.

let's see. i tried something out. last night i put on a light moisturizer. nothing too heavy, just a nice, light, moisturizer. i made sure to completely rub it in so it wasn't just sitting on top of my skin.

when i woke up this morning it didn't feel so much like sandpaper anymore, which is nice.

this morning i put on a tinted moisturizer and it looked much better than any sort of make-upy product i've tried before hand.

however, i still get these weird flakey areas. they develop pretty quickly and its anywhere any acne has cropped. they tend to come and go pretty quickly unless it's cyst like.

i keep having to drink tons of water. sometimes i feel like i have a lot of headaches or feel slightly dizzy but i'm wondering if that's because i'm out in the sun (i'm visiting new york right now) all the time. it's difficult to tell what it is because i always have had a history of headaches so i don't know what this is a side effect of (maybe it's my sleep pattern?)

my dad is a doctor so maybe when i get home i can have him do an MRI of my brain to make sure there is no swelling.

i continue to apply chapstick religiously. not sure what the best is though, i feel like i need to reapply every 5 minutes!

today i decided to moisturize my arms and apply sun screen so i wouldn't burn. it was so weird, halfway through the day the skin on my upper arm started peeling off. like, you could stroke my skin with one finger and it would leave a trail like a snake skin or something.... weeeiiiiirrrd.

that's all i can think of to report. my hair never seems to get greasy which is really weird. no dry eyes yet. sometimes i have lower back pain from standing too much, and i'm sure the accutane helps with that, too.

well, have a good day everyone!

oh and here's a photo of me.

it was taken first thing in the morning, i was exhausted... don't judge!!!!

post-153931-1310273600_thumb.jpg

post-153931-1310273600_thumb.jpg

Lucky! A dad who's a dr and can give free MRI's. So unfair!

And, can I just say that your skin looks fabulous! I can only dream at this moment of my skin looking like that.

Have fun in NY. I have never been there, but we are thinking of heading there in the fall.

Lucky! A dad who's a dr and can give free MRI's. So unfair!

And, can I just say that your skin looks fabulous! I can only dream at this moment of my skin looking like that.

Have fun in NY. I have never been there, but we are thinking of heading there in the fall.

i know it looks good NOW but i have been on accutane for a little while now. i didn't post any photos of what i looked like before i started when my hormones had me flaring up in all these crazy ways.

also, it's not a close up of all the little red blemishes and stuff, all you can see is the major stuff, but i get what you're saying.

NY is super fun, always alive with something to do. It's great in the fall! I'm hoping to come back here next summer.

day 23

alright alright!

some things to address:

one time i read on someone accutane log that they had some crazy dreams. for two days now i've had the weirdest and most intense dreams! and they seem to last forever. not sure what that's all about. maybe its a thing?

other than that crazy cyst you can see on my forehead (that's all red from me picking at it) :/ my forehead is almost completely clear! it's amazing. for years i had these annoying zits all along my hair line, all those little "rash like" bumps all over my face... but today i felt the skin and it was so so smooth. it was insane. it was like marble or something.

my cheeks, nose, and chin are a different story. they are still a little coarse.

my chest and neck are almost completely clear (FINALLY) and my back and arms are doing much better.

things seem to be (hopefully) looking up.

other than that... my routine has been pretty solidified.

i don't wash my face in the morning, but i do splash on lukewarm water (its best for your skin) and skip the face wash (its not really necessary). i put on chapstick and tinted moisturizer and very light make up. concealer doesn't really work and i have to be careful and pull of all the little dry flakes that appear with the tinted moisturizer.

at night time i wash with a light face wash for "sensitive" skin. i put on a normal moisturizer before i go to sleep.

once a week i apply a hydrating face mask and on another day i apply a wrinkle control mask. they both help to nourish my skin in a healthy way.

i try to keep my diet pretty healthy because i want my body to be at its peak.

still dealing with headaches from time to time. i DID sleep in really late both yesterday and the day before so maybe its just that groggy morning feeling i get.

also when i think about something too much i just begin to imagine things. like an itchy scalp or a bad headache.

well, that's all i can think of. it's great reading everyone's accutane logs! we're doing it!

the bummer is that in one week my prescription is done and our insurance is out for this month so we have to pay out of pocket :/ not sure how that'll work out or how expensive it will be.

i'll upload a photo now. it's me after getting ready in the morning so i DO have some make-up on. that's why most of my blemishes are unseeable. however, notice the forehead improvement! i still have acne along my jaw line (from PCOS) and i also have some by my temples and on my high cheek bones.

post-153931-1310355918_thumb.jpg

post-153931-1310355918_thumb.jpg

day 24

humph. today was a tough day.

maybe i've been thinking about all the side effects too much but i felt like crap today.

the sun was really hot and there was nothing i could do to avoid it.

my entire body was flushed, basically. not in a fun way. like, this weird pink tint all over my skin. it sort of looks like a sunburn but its like eternal.

relatively few pimples but i felt so retched i couldn't feel too good about it.

hair still not oily (haven't washed it since saturday) which is pretty gross.

skin still dry. i have bumps on my lower cheek bones, near my temples, on my chin, and on my upper jawline.

had a terrible headache all day (i slept a max of 5.5 hours) and feel sick to my stomach and gross. when i laid down on the grass in a park it felt like all the blood was rushing to my brain and i could like, feel it pulse. yeck.

i called my dad (he's a neuroradiologist. i know i'm lucky). he said if the pain gets unbearable to stop taking it but that these could very well be atmostpheric pressure headaches. who knows?

sorry if this is a bummer entry. i feel kind of down and out today. i feel like the only part of me that's attractive to most people is my hair and that's getting frizzy and gross lately.

so now i just feel ugly all the time :( i hate acne.

well, here's a picture. as you can see the accutane is pretty much doing its job. it's crazy how fast it initially works.

post-153931-1310441756_thumb.jpg

post-153931-1310441775_thumb.jpg

post-153931-1310441756_thumb.jpg

post-153931-1310441775_thumb.jpg

Hey girl thanks for the lovely comment. I'll be following your log. Your skin looks good! It sucks to have a younger sis with gorgeous skin!

thanks! it means a lot. i really feel like i need support cause i'm feeling so gross lately and i'm kind of freaking out thinking i'm going to die like every second of every day. UGH.

Guest Timehealsall

i do not see ANY ACNE at all.

well, i AM wearing make-up and it is on flash so it pretty much wipes out any detail. the red spots have gone down but there are still a lot of these weird deep deeeeeeep ones that are really annoying.

hey everyone. i'm way too tired to even tryyyy to make a real entry today or to check up on everyone elses logs.

i don't even have the will or energy to upload photos.

i got a breakout on my chin and on my cheekbones. it's really annoying and they are all deep and i keep picking at them which obviously makes them aggravated and a million times worse.

tonight i got really depressed. not sure why, i don't think its the accutane, but i just did. i looked through old messages and got depressed and regretful... sigh. anyway, so i'm really mopey. i feel really ugly and like such a freak because i'm 23 years old and still have never had a boyfriend. i'm such a loser!

other than that, i also got some dry and flakey skin on my chest and shoulders. arms aren't completely clear and neither is the back.

that's all i got today guys. oh and my eyes started drying out, yay.

hope everyone else is doing better.

Oooh your skin looks like it's getting better quickly :)

Anyway, best of luck to you on your accutane journey :dance:

You are beautiful. I barely even see any pimples in any of your pictures; you can't even call that acne lol! I'm glad you're not getting any serious side effects although the dry skin on the shoulders is new to me; I've never had that before. My eyes are also drying out like crazy, but I try to make sure to use eye drops only sparingly because I don't want my eyes to produce less moisture because of all the drops on giving them. I'll be following your log.

day 29

thanks so much guys! sorry i've been gone so long but my life is getting crazy hectic!

i've cooled off my fear of taking the medication. my headaches are still around but they aren't as intense and they should be going away soon.

i've been trying to drink more water and that helps. also aquaphor is amaaaazing for the lips. it's helped mine a ton! i'll post photos and update more tonight :) hope everyone is well, i'll check all of your logs later today!

Guest Timehealsall

how can you tell these pimples are deep?

do they hurt?

i can tell they're deep a few ways. first of all, i've felt them for a while and they haven't come to a head. second of all, i keep trying to pop them (bad habit i know) and nothing happens, it just hurts.

my skin is tough and stubborn so that also contributes.

alright well, it's been an interesting few days. the headaches aren't as intense and they are coming and going. i almost went all day today without one so that's good.

my prescription is up and i'm out of town so i can't visit my dermatologist. i've got no idea how i'm supposed to refill my prescription. am i supposed to re-answer those questions again on ipledge? who knows.

my skin is breaking out. not nearly as bad as before but i am getting stuff along my temples that are kind of big and some stuff along my neck and on my chin. my forehead remains, for the most part, completely clear.

that's about it. other than the headaches, chapped lips, and insanely disgustingly dry and frizzy hair, there isn't much else to report!

post-153931-1311046220_thumb.jpg

post-153931-1311046220_thumb.jpg

holy smokes i know i've been so bad about updating buuuuut i've been out of town and doing this from afar with my dermatologist sooo.... my re-fill isn't even ready yet! i haven't taken accutane since like, sunday or monday and i'm starting to get nervous... my skin is breaking out again! little white heads around my mouth and i'm getting some stuff on my forehead and cheeks. i got my blood drawn on thursday so i don't know when the results will be ready but when they are my derma will call in my prescription and i'll be able to pick it up. i hope its soon! i'm really worried about how long i've been off the medicine....

also my eyes were super itchy the other day. not sure if that was the weather or the effects of medication.