Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest davidtheskinking

Sadness Causes Acne?

Guest davidtheskinking

I just wanted to create this quick post for you because it might help... I remember when I had really bad acne that I would always get sad and depressed about my acne and get mad when I saw my skin in the mirror.

Every morning when I woke up I would look in the mirror and be mad that my acne wasn't getting better.

Over the last few years i've researched and read A LOT! and learned that your emotions (sadness/happiness etc.) actually cause changes in your skin believe it or not.

It's linked to stress,

When you have negative emotions such as depression, anger or sadness it causes more stress on the body causing the organs and internal functions to not work as well and operate as efficiently as they normally do. When I learned this I believe it because i've had points in my life when I feel really good and I have more energy and feel healthier, at other times when I feel down and sad I don't have energy and feel like I am sick.

So I found out through all of this that your emotions actually do affect your skin.

Have you ever heard "Wear Your emotions on your sleeve"? this expression is so true, except you wear it on your skin.

So I have a few suggestions that might help you...

1. Be Happy at all times, no matter what.

Life is short, there's no reason to be sad and depressed even if there is a reason to be! Let stress and sadness and things that cause pain in life to not affect you negatively.

2. Smile More Often

Smiling Brightens your day and helps keep you in a positive emotional state... this helps you have more energy and helps your body operate better believe it or not.

3. Believe your skin will clear up

So many people have acne not because their products but because they believe they have acne and always will, I know when my acne was really bad I thought I would never get rid of it... but guess what? I did! and you can too. When you truly believe your skin will clear up and become beautiful again you actually help it heal... It's called the placebo effect, your mind has that much power! google it! it also has enough power to cause the nocebo effect which is the opposite, a negative effect.

Basically, I've learned to smile, laugh and live life to the fullest and I truly believe that this has helped my emotional being (part of my body) be healthier and help my skin be healthier.

It may sound crazy to you, but before you judge learn about "placebo and nocebo effect" as well as how emotional stress and emotions can cause disease.

If negative emotions can cause cancer i'm sure they can cause a little bit of acne too.

Anyways, just my 2 cents and what i have learned through my journey.

Hope that it helps you out in some way.

David

Nah, I don't buy it. There is no "right or wrong" way to act. Being sad about acne isn't going to cause you to break out more. Depression is a coping mechanism to cope with stress. It's like saying to throw your coping mechanism out the window. I've tried to act happy when I was miserable, it makes me feel awful and phony and it's draining. Btw do you have before and after picks? I'd like to see them.

Well I know one thing. When I stopped focusing on my acne and letting it be. It got better. It is most likely because of the products I started using but now I don't even think about acne. I don't wake up and look at my face for new pimples. I just wake up do my regimen and go on with my day and repeat at night.

While I wouldn't agree that sadness causes acne, I totally agree that being positive can improve any condition. Expectations will always influence the outcome to a certain degree. I suspect though, that it would be impossible for me to "be happy at all times, no matter what," (so there you go: now we know it'll never happen).

Guest davidtheskinking

Alright,

So when you are stressed or emotionally negative this causes stress on your body to release the stress hormone (cortisol) which causes imbalances in the body such as:

Increases Blood Sugar Levels

Alters The Immune System Response

Represses The Digestive System

All 3 of these are directly linked to how clear your skin is.

This is why your mindset is very important for clearing up acne!

This also explains more of how powerful your thoughts, emotions and beliefs are to your acne and skin:

*moderator edit*

Hope this helps and make's you curious to ask more questions because it is interesting and there is a lot to learn.

David

Guest davidtheskinking
Nah, I don't buy it. There is no "right or wrong" way to act. Being sad about acne isn't going to cause you to break out more. Depression is a coping mechanism to cope with stress. It's like saying to throw your coping mechanism out the window. I've tried to act happy when I was miserable, it makes me feel awful and phony and it's draining. Btw do you have before and after picks? I'd like to see them.

I Made a video showing my before and after pictures, message me if you want to see the video.

David

It's hard to have a positive mentality when you're having psychological problems due to your Acne e.g. Depression, Social Isolation.

Sure, you can have that mentality for a small while, but the problems you already have will increase in intensity and will make you feel worse about your Acne.

I've tried doing that, but it just made my anxiety worse :(

I don't think so, I mean most people now days are stressed all the time.. guess what the majority don't have acne, I'm pretty sure none of us were even stressed before we got acne, so stress is not the cause. Most animals out in the wild are in constant stress from predators, do you seriously think they're organs aren't functioning right?

Well I think stress can cause acne to be worse if you already are acne-prone. Plus, if you are sad, you'll be negative, which certainly won't help how you see your skin! It'll probably look bad/worse to you even if it's not; it's just your state of mind.

Guest Timehealsall

hey o.p, can you link me that video?