Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
enemi

Oratane/Accutane - Athletic, sports playing 21 yr old male.

Hi,

I am 21 years old of age, male, and have mild acne since 13.

I have been using BP 2.5% for about 3-4 years now, and my acne have subsided, but I have tons of this comedonal acne which is skin colored bumps that does not have a whitehead (so I can't pop them).

I went to a dermatologist for the first time ever and he prescribed me Oratane, which is the same as Accutane I believe.

He told me to take 1 pill a day, 10mg per pill.

I rarely get inflamed acne nowadays, as I use BP 2.5% every night before I sleep.. but these stubborn comedonal acne are just not going away. Can you please give me some advice?

Should I proceed with the Oratane?

Thanks.

Regards

Oratane is a generic brand for Roaccutane/Accutane. If your derm has assessed your situation and has recommended accutane, then you should take it. Your derm may have explained this to you but in any case just do a bit of research first, as it is a very powerful drug and has some serious side effects. Also, get some regular bloods tests to make sure your coping with it.

It took about a month for me personally to see results, nothing has ever worked either. A lot of people have already been through the path you are going to take and have taken Accutane as a last resort option.

I am now on my 3rd month and have experienced extremely dry lips which is a common side effect that subsides when taken off the drug.

Edited by Axel

Thanks for your advice Axel.

After reading through many of the posts, it seems that while in some cases, the patient is actually pushing for the Accutane prescription, there are also other cases where they are too afraid to take it.

I would have expected the derm to have taken a different approach, as he did not really suggest any blood testing..

It was my first time visiting him and all that happened during the consultation was just me telling him about my acne situation and that I have used BP for 3 years.

He just looked at my face and decided to prescribe me with 10mg/day Oratane.

Would you say that's a bit hasty of him prescribing it to me?

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this as I'm a bit nervous to start this medication, in light of all these possible side effects.

My acne is really mild, therefore, I'm not sure if the risks are worth it for the rewards.

The main problem I'm suffering from is these stubborn under-the-skin comedonal spots.

I will upload a picture ASAP so people understand what I'm talking about..

Sorry for the terribly long post, as I wanted to have all the information and advice I require before I start this medication.

Also, the doctor did NOT mention any blood testing.. Would that be because the dosage I'm taking (10mg, 1 pill a day) is too low to warrant any blood testing?

Thank you for all your kind advice and support.

I don't think you have to do all the blood tests on low dose accutane. Still it seems weird that he didn't do it anyways. If it worries you then yes, bring it up with him. You're just lucky you're not a girl! They make you take multiple pregnancy tests (waiting months in between), watch deformed baby movies, and do these stupid pledges like, every f-ing time before you pick up a prescription. It's pretty ridiculous. Anyways, don't be so worried; if you're on a low dose regimen there is a much lower chance that you'll experience any of the horrific side effects you've no doubt been reading about (and even if you do, it will be much slighter compared to a high dose). BTW, I haven't taken accutane myself yet--I've just been researching it like mad in order to prepare for my own course.

Edited by alphabetpony

Oratane is Australia made accutane, I think. Anyway, 10mg is the perfect dose in my opinion.

I think if you told your derm that u wanted to start accutane then he would ask you to do the blood test then. This is the same process I went through with my derm. I'm on 20mg which is also low. Im from Australia and my derm was relaxed about prescribing it to me aswell and when I started rolling off all the negatives I had read about it on all the forums she pretty much rolled her eyes and said I'd be fine. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be as long as you follow all the rules.

Don't get too hung up on all the negativity around the drug...I'm up to my 3rd week and I feel fine, only slight dry lips every few days. I also have only heard happy endings from those that have been on it.

Good luck!

enemi,

I don't want to make you worried or hesitant in taking the medication any further but with Accutane you need a derm that is diligent and thorougher to ensure that throughout the treatment every pre-caution is taken to minimize any damage to your body. The reason i say this and although it is a low-dosage as already mentioned, he/she should have taken a blood test before prescribing it. I don't mean to generalize but many dermatologists are fairly relaxed in prescribing this medication, even with patients that have little to no acne. This is particularly concerning because you never know what state your health is in and being put on a drug such as this could have some serious consequences without you even being aware of it until it is too late.

Ultimately, it is your choice to take it - do you want clear skin and willing to take the risks of the side effects mentioned/researched? Keep in mind, being a prescribed a low dose, the risks are significantly reduced and should you experience any of the serious side effects after a week, you can stop taking it. Just to give you an example of the actual risks/patients %, I quizzed my derm and asked what percentage report back with serious side effects? He said about 2 a year, and he prescribes the medication to about 4-5 patients a week.

Finally, I think if every pre-caution is taken and that regular checks are made to ensure you're coping with it, is vital to minimize any serious damage/illness further down the track and you don't want a derm that just prescribes it like a pain killer pill and leaves you with it, with little to no communication. You need a derm that is proactive and monitors your progress throughout. Should you decide to take it, report any little side effect you may have. This is again very important to allow your derm to determine whether you continue treatment or reduce the dosage.

Thanks for your advice Axel.

After reading through many of the posts, it seems that while in some cases, the patient is actually pushing for the Accutane prescription, there are also other cases where they are too afraid to take it.

I would have expected the derm to have taken a different approach, as he did not really suggest any blood testing..

It was my first time visiting him and all that happened during the consultation was just me telling him about my acne situation and that I have used BP for 3 years.

He just looked at my face and decided to prescribe me with 10mg/day Oratane.

Would you say that's a bit hasty of him prescribing it to me?

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this as I'm a bit nervous to start this medication, in light of all these possible side effects.

My acne is really mild, therefore, I'm not sure if the risks are worth it for the rewards.

The main problem I'm suffering from is these stubborn under-the-skin comedonal spots.

I will upload a picture ASAP so people understand what I'm talking about..

Sorry for the terribly long post, as I wanted to have all the information and advice I require before I start this medication.

Also, the doctor did NOT mention any blood testing.. Would that be because the dosage I'm taking (10mg, 1 pill a day) is too low to warrant any blood testing?

Thank you for all your kind advice and support.

Edited by Axel

Thanks for all the advice people, I really appreciate it.

I currently have a prescription for one week, the derm told me to take it and see if there are any side effects and if I feel okay, he will prescribe the rest of the Oratane for me.

It is suppose to be a 6-7 months course, 10mg/day.

The only thing that's bugging me is my own confidence in taking this medication.

I have those tiny little bumps under my skin and hardly get any new inflamed spots.

It is just those bumps with no heads..

I'm not sure if it is wise to risk the possible side effects for the removal of just the tiny bumps.

Just wondering if there are any other methods to counter this.

Although the dosage is not strong, so it might help me clear any remaining spots or future spots that might come up.

Anyone else took Oratane/Accutane and got positive results for tiny bumps (comedonal acne) ?

Bump ~ Still unsure whether to go ahead with the Oratane treatment..

I'm thinking of visiting another derm in another country for a second opinion.

Low dose = less likelihood of having side effects?

Yes, the side effects are dose dependent, so if you take less you are less likely to experence bad side effects. Also, like you I am an athlete an I'm also in the military so I was quite concerned about accutane affecting my athletic performance. I'm taking 20 mg right now, the main thing is you must HYDRATE. Last week I didn't drink enough water before working out and I was really dizzy, but as long as you drink enough water (and I mean like, massive amounts of water), you should be fine.