Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mad_as_hell

Conspiracy theory?

That's it...I've had enough...I go on this site once a year to try and find a cure for my cystic acne, the answer is...there isn't one....or is there?

I'm 46 now and had it since I was 13, derm said it would go by the time I was 40...!! Think about it, why would a derm give anyone a oneoff cure, doesn't make financial sense. In fact why would any of the drug companies come up with a cure and reduce their revenue by billions a year.

I'm totally convinced there are guys in labs that have come up with true cures that are bought up by the drug companies and put on the shelf, never to see the light of day.

Think about the massive inroads into cancer cures, yet nothing for acne sufferers...mmm

Here's the thing, persisant acne is, by an large, a genetic disposition and I believe a cure may come with stem cell research, only thing is....who will come up with the money for this research, certainly won't be the drug companies.

Sorry for the rant but this has to be said.

i was told it would be gone by the time i was 20, then 30... There's people in their 60s with acne on this board.

the pharmaceutical industry is so profit driven, & even alot of the money spent on cancer research is wasted. in some areas there have been bans on natural health products, simply because they work! that would put them out of business now wouldnt it. this is why generally the less medication you take the better for your health. In terms of cancer, even chemo SPREADS cancer around your body, so instead of having it in just one area you can become infestated with it and then its too late. radiotherapy can cause cancer too. having a mamogram alone is lik having a 1000 xrays & can also trigger cancer.

but oooh no, they wont invest in natural solutions just ban them because there's no profit to be make from them.

Guest davidtheskinking

Great post,

I agree 100%

Honestly, I believe there is a cure for acne and cancer both.

I have read a lot into this and believe that nutrition and toxicity are two of the biggest causes of any disease or symptom (including acne)

It's all about balancing your nutrition, ph and body.

If your skin isn't clear it just means that something within the body isn't balanced to produce new healthy skin cells and to heal the old damaged ones.

Great thoughts, I appreciate the post.

David

As a molecular biologist, I whole-heartedly disagree with you.

So if you know for sure that this is not the case then you will be able to tell us all how far along we are with the research then?

Think about the massive inroads into cancer cures, yet nothing for acne sufferers...mmm

OK, let's think about the massive inroads into cancer cures. Ooops, there aren't any. Well, we can now "cure" childhood leukemia (it's gonna hurt, your life expectancy is not truly restored, and you will have side-effects, but that's as close to a "cure" as we'll probably see). We really haven't made a dent in cancer mortality overall to speak of. For most cancers, metastasis is still essentially fatal. Perhaps you've been deluded by Peggy from Cancer Centers of America talking about how her pancreatic cancer was cured and failed to read the fine print of the commercial that says "these patient results are not typical". Sorry Peggy, most folks with pancreatic cancer are going to die, and any for-profit cancer hospital can make their cure rates look better simply by cherry-picking their patients (give me folks with money and early-stage disease!).

So, the problem with acne is pretty analogous to that with cancer. The problem being, the body is a complex system and neither of these diseases (classes of disease, for cancer) arises from some simple, single factor. The oncogene theory of cancer (a simple, single factor theory) is pretty much in disarray, after decades of producing no cures.

Just as it may turn out that the genetic approach to cancer was a dead end (or at least a very long detour to get to a less than satisfying point), acne researchers have spent decades on the dead end of attacking bacteria. But of course, people without acne have P. acnes crawling all over their face, a fact that always should have made the kill-all-the-bacteria approach a little suspect. I believe it will turn out that researchers who view acne as a problem of "host response" are on the right track; that is, it's not the bacteria that causes acne, but your body's response to it. In which case, the answer cannot be simple. Changing how the body responds to something rarely is.

It's hard to take seriously any conspiracy theory that says there is already a hidden cure for cancer or acne. I think that can only be entertained if one is severely ignorant of the large amounts of money and time (massive for cancer) being spent researching both of them. So, not only do the bad ol' corporations have to hide a cure from people completely ignorant of medicine, they apparently are also succeeding in hiding it from the other big corporations that are pouring lots of money into finding it.

And of course, the economic argument for conspiracy is absurd. Show me the highest profit being made by anyone off of treatments for cancer or acne. Can you seriously think that company could not multiply their profits by 10 (or more) if they could offer an absolute, 100% effective cure? Look at the sad parade of wealthy Americans who go to Mexico for wacko cancer cures (and die there, after their wallets have been lightened) and tell me what price could not be charged for a cancer cure. Who right now is willing to sell their house in exchange for chemotherapy that may or may not cure them? Yet people already can and do sell their houses to raise money for quack cures that promise the certainty that science can never honestly claim.

So if you know for sure that this is not the case then you will be able to tell us all how far along we are with the research then?

Could Edison tell people when he was 50% along the way to inventing a reasonable light bulb? Absurd, right? If you know how far along you are to solving a problem nobody has ever solved before, then that essentially means you already know the solution. When somebody tells you how close they are to curing a disease, you can be sure it's because they are asking for money.

However, for every complex problem there's always a simple answer. That's wrong. Like this one:

If your skin isn't clear it just means that something within the body isn't balanced to produce new healthy skin cells and to heal the old damaged ones.

There ya go, your simple answer. You can't really do anything with it. It's not falsifiable, so nobody can prove it wrong. And yet, it contains absolutely no more information than saying:

If your skin isn't clear, you have angered the skin god Melano.

:D

Haven't looked into the research side of acne for about a year, so I don't know the most up to date stuff. But it seems like some of the scientists and doctors are getting their heads out of their asses and realizing there's a link between diet and acne and it's not a bacterial disease. I've not seen any gene profiling data, though. Yes, there have been great advances with some disease, but we're just not there yet with acne.

OK, let's think about the massive inroads into cancer cures. Ooops, there aren't any.

Doh, shouldn't have mentioned cancer....but you're clearly wrong on that point.

Peggy from Cancer Centers of America talking about how her pancreatic cancer was cured and failed to read the fine print of the commercial that says "these patient results are not typical".

Who the hell is Peggy?!!

I believe it will turn out that researchers who view acne as a problem of "host response" are on the right track; that is, it's not the bacteria that causes acne, but your body's response to it.

100% with you here, which is why genetic research will find the cure.

And of course, the economic argument for conspiracy is absurd. Show me the highest profit being made by anyone off of treatments for cancer or acne. Can you seriously think that company could not multiply their profits by 10 (or more) if they could offer an absolute, 100% effective cure?

No, actually, I don't. It would tantamount to economic suicide to market an absolute cure when you can supply a treatment...forever.

Could Edison tell people when he was 50% along the way to inventing a reasonable light bulb? Absurd, right? If you know how far along you are to solving a problem nobody has ever solved before, then that essentially means you already know the solution. When somebody tells you how close they are to curing a disease, you can be sure it's because they are asking for money.

Thing is I don't see any evidence of an 'Edison' doing any research now or in the last decade. Roacutane doesn't count, it was discovered by accident and it stops working once you stop taking it.

I just want to see some evidence that research is being done to cure acne, not treat it. And the point of this post was to try and weddle out some one that works within the industry that can put everyone right. So far all we get on this site is anocdotal remedies.

Okay I wasn't going to get into this thread because it seems rather angry. But I can totally understand the frustration and dispair that is behind the rant and feeling of conspiracy. However I must disagree with some of this. First off there are some really effective treatments for acne...that control it to the point where you can have clear skin. Yes, there are. However, there are no cures. And there may never be because acne occurs because certain people have pores that do not shed properly. This is a genetic problem...like eczema. A cure would have to change the structure of our pores permanently and I can't see how that would be possible. Changing our diet or lowering stress can help lower inflammation which makes outbreaks less severe but they will still happen unless something is being used to help the pores shed like they're supposed to. For milder acne BP works and for more severe acne retinoids work. Period. You just have to be willing to use them daily and to know that it can take a while for the effects to kick in because they are changing how the pores function. Stop using them and the pores return to not shedding properly and clumping up again. That being said some people are lucky and their pores actually do shed properly but they just have an overabundance of hormones (androgens) due to lingering teen hormone surges or women going through menopause, etc. and the excess hormones cause excess oil and this interferes with proper shedding of pores. When the hormones stabilize their acne subsides. This is why you sometimes see adults outgrow their acne in late 20's or early 30's. But most of us aren't that lucky and if you still have chronic acne later in your 30's and beyond then most likely it is the genetic problem.

Are dermatologists, doctors and researchers in a conspiracy to keep us from having clear skin so they can keep making money? No. To think this way is rather egotistical. People get into the helping professions because...well...they want to help people not hinder them. I've read lots of research and been in the research field myself and I can tell you firsthand that there is joy when treatments are found that alleviate conditions. The human body is very complex and usually there are multiple factors behind a condition that make it hard to find a cure. For the most part chronic diseases are controlled not cured. Even using a dietary "treatment" is still just controlling a condition and not curing it. Return to the former diet and the condition will return.

No, actually, I don't. It would tantamount to economic suicide to market an absolute cure when you can supply a treatment...forever.

First off, 'tantamount' is an adjective not a verb. Second, that statement is completely exaggerated. Economic suicide? For who? Clean & Clear? Yeah, I bet if they fall, America falls, then the government would have to bail them out, too. There's more people researching this stuff than Neutrogena and Clearasil. Next you're going to tell there's a pill you can shove up your butt that will sustain you, nutritionally, for a year, but the developer was bought out by the food industry. Oh brother, you conspiracy theorists...

Isn't it like, 50% of people who go on Accutane clear up for good on their first round? Then even higher for more rounds? How much more of a 'cure' do you need?

Cure real disease that kills people first, then work on a (better) cure for acne. Curing acne is up there with curing baldness, it's important to the people who have it but it's not a terminal illness.