Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys/ladies

So my Name is Danny and I'm from England.

I'm not going to bore you with my mumbling so I'm going give you a few quick stats!

17 yrs old (male)

I have acne (obviously)

I would say Mild to moderate but quite persistent.

Had 4 courses of antibiotics over a 2 and a half year period (nothing really worked)

I've tried a gazillion products (not really) to get rid of this persistent problem.

I've also had four courses of laser treatment (which really helped a few red marks) but very expensive :(

Anyway, I finally got a referral to my local hospital and the derm there put me on Accutane.

WHICH IS WHY I'M HERE :)

I figured I shall update myself or anyone who cares enough to join me along this (hopefully) amazing journey to clear skin.

and I also want to get to know people in the same position as me! :)

Oh I just popped my first pill and I'm taking 10mg for the first 14 days then 20mg for a month.

SO

DAY ONE

This morning I made myself a jam sandwich and then took the pill with a glass of water.

I may come across paranoid but I think I may be getting a couple of new spots forming and I have a slight headache. none of which bother me though, in fact it might even be something like a placebo effect where I think I'm getting side effects when really I'm not but we'll see.

anyway peeps, thank you for reading this and I'll update you guys in due course to let you know what's going on :)

Good luck mate, would love to see how this works out for you.

I have mild acne myself, just lots of comedonal acne that's stuck beneath a layer of skin so it won't come to the surface for me to pop them..

Still making my mind up as to whether or not to take Accutane.

My derm prescribed me 10mg/day..

Once again, good luck!

Good luck mate, would love to see how this works out for you.

I have mild acne myself, just lots of comedonal acne that's stuck beneath a layer of skin so it won't come to the surface for me to pop them..

Still making my mind up as to whether or not to take Accutane.

My derm prescribed me 10mg/day..

Once again, good luck!

Hey man, thanks for the reply

I know it sounds stupid but do you moisturise daily?

I have oily/combination skin and i never used to moisturise thinking it would help but then i started getting red bumps under my skin that i couldn't get out??

I just read your other post and noticed you also haven't tried any other antibiotics?

tretcycline cleared me up a treat the first time for the same kind of acne but obviously it came back which is why im here :)

Definately think about taking the accutane though i was put on 10mg a day for 2 weeks to minimise the side effects if that's what you were concerned about!

anyway, i hope i helped ate and thanks

for the message i'll keep you updated

Don't forget to take your pill with a fatty meal because it is better absorbed in fats. So take it with your largest meal for the day, or eat an avocado before taking it. I used to take it with a cup of organic coconut milk or a tablespoon of flax seed oil in a cup of water. Good Luck!

Don't forget to take your pill with a fatty meal because it is better absorbed in fats. So take it with your largest meal for the day, or eat an avocado before taking it. I used to take it with a cup of organic coconut milk or a tablespoon of flax seed oil in a cup of water. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice, i read somewhere about taking it with peanut butter so that's what i've been doing :)

How was accutane for you?

You are welcome! I don't think peanut butter is the best choice, peanuts and acne hmmm... you should read more about it and try some of my suggestions :) Accutane worked really well for me from the first weeks I started taking it and I believe it's because I was taking it with fats. Unfortunately, they took me off of it because my white blood cells got too low.I'm hoping my next bloodwork will be better and they'll let me continue my course.

And yes, you have to moisturize daily, I do it right before i go to bed.Most likely your skin will get really dry in a few weeks and you'll need to moisturize even more often.

Day 14 (I think)

Ok so I've got 1 more 10mg pill to take then I go on 20mg for a month.

My face is getting less oily and my lips are slightly dry.

I can't lean in a position for too long otherwise my joint(s) that I'm leaning on ache, which isn't a big deal.

Acne wise I haven't got tons of new spots forming but my face is slightly more red and a few reddish marks from the 'initial breakout'

Im kinda pissed off with myself though because I read countless of times not to use a topical treatment (in my case, isotrexin gel) on my face while I'm on accutane.

So there's me, acting all gullable not using a topical treamtent, moisturising twice a day getting countless of spots within the first few day which are now only just going down or have turnt into MORE RED MARKS.

and what do you know? I start applying my treatment gel on my face after moisturising at night and no new forming spots plus existing ones are getting treated.

I do understand it's only been 2 weeks though so who knows what will happen?

I just hope my face clears up like a treat!

Hope everyone is all good.

leave me a reply

peace

Good luck. The 3rd to 4th week I had my IB..it was stabilized with prednisone later and since then (I'm on my 6th or 7th? month) now and It has been great.

Thanks man

I'm so impatient its unreal, my derm told me i'll have clear skin by christmas =/

I've waited 2 years though so i guess a few more months won't hurt.

Not looking forward to any other breakout either!

So how is the course going for you? was it what u expected?

To be honest, I didn't expect much walking into it. So it has all been like a wave of surprise every week lol. Also, it didn't take me that long to see results. But we're all different and react to the drug differently. I think i saw drastic results during the 3rd month really. The 4th, 5th and 6th have been phenomenal since I haven't broken out at all. Only side effects for me is the dry lips and that I look like I'm blushing sometimes haha. It's worth it though, trust me. For the past 3 months or so, aside from the pills I take with breakfast every morning, it's like I don't even have acne.

Before, even when I didn't have a breakout I used to think about the next one I would have constantly. But now that I'm on accutane, I really have been able just to live life not worrying about when the next pimple would pop up. And when one small pimple comes, I'm not freaking out cause I know it'll be gone very quickly.

So my course is great at the moment. I'm positive yours will be too.

Edited by VoZilla

Day 19

My face is getting quite a few more spots so this would be the initial breakout.

Weirdly enough im not stressed from it or anything because this is exactly what the doctor said would happen so now i've just ogtta be patient and hopefully starts clearly up.

Side effects

Dry lips

Dry skin =/

inside my nose is a little bit dry

more spots :( (even on my forehead where i hardly get spots :'()

aaaaaaaannnd i feel more tired yet i can't sleep

erm i've stopped using the isotrexin gel now, i've noticed my face feel and look slightly more irritated so this would be the time to stop

over and out lol

I might upload pictures soon

To be honest, I didn't expect much walking into it. So it has all been like a wave of surprise every week lol. Also, it didn't take me that long to see results. But we're all different and react to the drug differently. I think i saw drastic results during the 3rd month really. The 4th, 5th and 6th have been phenomenal since I haven't broken out at all. Only side effects for me is the dry lips and that I look like I'm blushing sometimes haha. It's worth it though, trust me. For the past 3 months or so, aside from the pills I take with breakfast every morning, it's like I don't even have acne.

Before, even when I didn't have a breakout I used to think about the next one I would have constantly. But now that I'm on accutane, I really have been able just to live life not worrying about when the next pimple would pop up. And when one small pimple comes, I'm not freaking out cause I know it'll be gone very quickly.

So my course is great at the moment. I'm positive yours will be too.

Nice one man, i'm glad it's going well for you

i hope it all goes the same for me

and yeah i know what you mean with thinking and worrying about when the next breakout would be =/

atm i'm going through thhe 'inital breakout' which is kind of shhh ity but hopefully it all clears up like yours real soon :)