Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fedupofadultacne

Can retin A spread acne?

I have been using Retin a gel for a month (i have used it in the past too) & now i am starting to get spots in places i didnt even have them before, like on my forehead & earlobe!!!! also my affected areas still look rough as hell.

Does it cause acne to spread?

Also does this stuff really actually work? I used to have success with the cream version but they no longer make this. The gel is pretty irritating so i can only use it once a day.

the reviews on the reviews section arent very promising , but people say you have to give it at least 8 weeks. is this really true? as my skin looks vile.

I'm having the same problem with acne spreading to places I've never received acne before. However I'm on Epiduo. I'm hoping this is part of the initial breakout period and not some adverse reaction.

Yeah im even breaking out under my ears on my neck, usually its all under jaw line but doesnt extend that far back!

im not a big fan of topicals but am giving retin a a go as its supposed to 'normalise' things & reduce blocked pores but not happy with results so far. face is covered in red marks & lots of spots hmmmm.

how are you applying? Do you put everywhere or just on the clogged pores your experiencing? Im using Tazorac to treat the clogged pores in my chin only because its so drying. I put such a small amt on just on the areas by the corner of my mouth down and I dont do it everyday. It peels my skin in layers but dont do much for the clogs. Im wondering if retin a would be better

i am putting it on pretty much all over, but not so much on very dry patches. i was going to leave my forehead out but no thats breaking out too, & back neck under ears is like symmetrical on both sides! I dont know how people manage to spread 1 pea size amount on the whole face, it takes several for me! Probably apply it slightly thicker on the lumpy spotty problem areas & then thinner where the skin is ok

I don't know if it "spreads" exactly...but I experienced this on Retin-A micro. I mostly had spots on my forehead and when I started using the retin-a, I started getting spots on my cheeks/chin too. When I went for a check-up with my derm and complained about it, he told me that it wouldn't create new spots, only bring stuff to the surface (ignored the fact that I basically never ever ever broke out on my cheeks before).

Anyways, I just stuck with it, it took over 3 months (maybe even over 4?) before I'd say I was happy with the results. I've been on it for almost 6 mos now, but I've changed things occasionally so I can't really pinpoint if retin-a is the main reason. :X I'm going to keep using it though, I like my skin now.

i am putting it on pretty much all over, but not so much on very dry patches. i was going to leave my forehead out but no thats breaking out too, & back neck under ears is like symmetrical on both sides! I dont know how people manage to spread 1 pea size amount on the whole face, it takes several for me! Probably apply it slightly thicker on the lumpy spotty problem areas & then thinner where the skin is ok

Well I don't think it means literally the whole face. It's pretty potent stuff, so as long as you get the medication somewhere within the vicinity of your problem areas, you should be fine. I know it's hard to imagine a pea-size is enough, but trust me, less is more when it comes to retinoids. Try to stay away from your nose, mouth and eye areas as those are typically the most sensitive. I've also found it's easier to apply the medication if you wait 15-30 minutes after washing your face. It gives your pores time to close and may help avoid irritation.

I had that experience also. I felt the retin was actually causing me to break out in areas I never did before. It's funny...about the "pea size" amount one should use..., but it's true, less is better. I first use it on my problem areas then spread the gel throught.

Hmm I think this happened to me during the first 2 or 3 weeks(I had one behind my ear which was painful as hell.. never happened before and also one under my hairline on my neck). They've went away thankfully. But yeah lol on the 6th week now and it seems to be back to the typical places. Hopefully it will stop this week :|

Edited by robiii

I have been using Retin a gel for a month (i have used it in the past too) & now i am starting to get spots in places i didnt even have them before, like on my forehead & earlobe!!!! also my affected areas still look rough as hell.

Does it cause acne to spread?

Also does this stuff really actually work? I used to have success with the cream version but they no longer make this. The gel is pretty irritating so i can only use it once a day.

the reviews on the reviews section arent very promising , but people say you have to give it at least 8 weeks. is this really true? as my skin looks vile.

My Retin-A experience has been amazing, so it has worked for me but YMMV. If you're asking if your gel could in some way become contaminated, I don't think it could. My retin-a (tretinoin generic) is comprised primarily of alcohol. I don't think anything would proliferate in that.