Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LovetheLife

Does acne make you unattractive?

Hey, so I don't have that bad of acne, mostly mild but occasionally, like now for instance, I get a moderate size pimple that really makes me upset. I'm the kind of person who lets my skin get to me, and I feel like I may have BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) Where I don't see my skin in perspective. It causes me to have panic attacks and not leave the house. So my question, to the outside world, is acne repulsive? Whether it be mild acne or severe acne, to people look at you differently and judge you? I know that acne can be noticable, but does it affect whether you like a person/attracted to the person?

Thanks!!:)

To be completely honest, even though I have acne and I probably pay more attention when others have it, I don't ever notice people with acne unless it is really out of control bad. I have friends and acquaintances with acne more severe than my own and I never think about their skin when I am interacting with them... or if I do notice it, it is just a fleeting thought and it doesn't color my opinion of them.

To be completely honest, even though I have acne and I probably pay more attention when others have it, I don't ever notice people with acne unless it is really out of control bad. I have friends and acquaintances with acne more severe than my own and I never think about their skin when I am interacting with them... or if I do notice it, it is just a fleeting thought and it doesn't color my opinion of them.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! Almost all my friends have worse skin then me, and I don't think anything of it. That's why I feel guilty that I freak out. What would you suggest for a pimple that is still under the surface? I don't normally get cystic acne, and I think I can feel the whitehead beneath the surface, but I don't want to pop it because that's just asking for trouble!

Yes, I feel like it makes me unattractive too. I feel like people respond to me a lot differently. But barring extreme cases, I don't really notice it on other people anymore. :redface: I guess I'm just always too busy worrying about my own looks.

I feel it makes ME unattractive, I have such a small face I feel like that's all you see. On other people DEF NOT. I see girls and guys with zits and never makes me think o my gawd how ugly. Think about it this way, if angelina jolie had acne you think she'd be less beautiful? DEF NOT. You either have it or you don't, you know? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

While acne definitely affects our view of ourself, others don't notice it or don't care.

Also, I don't notice when other people have acne unless it's very severe and chronic (widespread, infected, red, and never goes away).

Plus if you're a teenager most teens don't notice acne because most have it themselves.. It's when you're older that it starts seeming a little off... Not saying people always notice it then, either, though. Don't get me wrong.

i don´t notice people´s acne unless they have it pretty bad...but i´ll be honest with you...acne is not something attractive...but if i see someone with severe acne...but they are beautiful i still don´t care. in fact i used to have a boyfriend who had severe acne...and i´m serious! severe! severe! but he was sooo beautiful...his eyes were big and very blue...his smiles was perfect!...he was just sooo handsome...and when his acne went off thanks to accutane...he became more beautiful than ever.

I think we OVERREACT when it comes to OUR acne. We focus so much on it that we notice EVERY SINGLE FLAW. But to other people they DO NOT see it like we do. They don't see it as bad as you yourself would. I have noticed that when I look at other people.

I feel unattractive with my acne/scars/marks. It makes me insecure. But I try what I can to improve it.

Edited by Jennaaaay

Well, I'd assume most people would think they are unattractive due to acne, like myself. That is usually because we are our own worst critic.

I feel like a horrible person saying this, but yes, sometimes it does. But it's not like a make-it or break-it thing if you have acne. If you have a wonderful personality and stuff and you have acne, then I don't consider you unattractive, but sometimes, I'll see a guy with a horrible personality who is a jerk, and usually if he has acne it adds to his unattractiveness. But first and foremost, bad personality = unattractive.

When I had acne, all I could think of was OMZG PEOPLE ARE STARING AND IT'S ALL THEY SEE. In reality, my acne was pretty mild and they probably didn't give it a second thought, just like I don't give people with acne a second thought. I honestly don't notice it; the guy I had a crush on throughout high school, who was SUPER hot, had moderate acne. It's not a big deal, you notice other things about the person.

I think, for instance, weight is much more noticeable than acne. You think, "Yes, she has pimples, but she's beautiful. Her face is gorgeous and her body is to die for." If a person is even a little chunky, you think "Oh, they're fat."

I agree with tacogirl and acdc1.

People with AMAZING personalities make up for their acne. Sometimes you don't even notice if their acne is really bad. A guy in my high school was very popular. All the girls wanted him. I even liked him and he had tons of acne. It was just that he was soooo confident and had an amazing personality.

And yeah weight is more noticeable than acne. It really is...

I don't think many people here on an acne forum are going to be ones to judge others for acne. I think we're too worried about our own skin and what people think to care about other peoples.

Personally, I'm usually more comfortable around people with acne. Just because when someone has acne, they tend to be less judgmental of others and much more down to earth. Some people with gorgeous skin who've never had a problem with it tend to be stuck up and judgmental. They tend to assume that we aren't doing anything for our skin and that solving the problem is as simple as buying proactiv.

Edited by wham

I have such a small face

I wish I had a small face! My face, no, head in general is over sized. In photos my head creates a distorted perspective like I am close up. I think my giant head draws attention to its self, and therefore the acne.

Also I can't buy hats.

I have acne, and it's a very ugly one, and yes I believe it's unattractive, I admit it, I don't look as good as I would like (for now).

But this acne pushes me forward as a person, working out daily to have the body of a god, and to self-develop myself as a person and after it's gone, I'll be one sexy ass dude.

Hello,

Acne makes me feel unattractive (I'm a guy).

I don't know the effect it has on others. I can notice than when I have breakouts, I tend to have less lookfs from women, or less visual interest, but it's maybe because I tend to avoid their look and that I focus on myself when I breakout.

Yesterday I saw a very pretty girl who was staring at me and was even physically close and trying to get in touch, but I didn't believe it and went away by myself.

To the other people. Well, tbh in Paris I don't really see girls with acne. I think out of 100 ppl, there is me with acne (:D ) when I break out, and maybe 3 or 4 guys. Seriously. In the subway and all... Sometimes I try to look for an "acne buddy" in the subway and there is no one.

Curiously enough, in the other city I often visit (Barcelona, Los Angeles, London, New YorK City) I see a lot more ppl with acne.

Blah.

What makes a girl attractive to me is her features. Her eyes, the bone structure of her face, her body, etc. Acne is only a surface problem so as long as it doesn't affect her features it doesn't make her unnattractive. Now if the acne is severe yes I'll think of it as unattractive. Don't mean to be shallow but I'm just being honest. Same with tons of acne scars. If its bad it's unnattractive. I think if you ask this question on another website you might get some more answers because we all suffer from acne and everyone on this website looks at acne in a different way than the general public. It sounds like you don't need to worry. Good luck

Hopefully most people aren't so shallow to judge you for it but if you're asking whether its physically unattractive... yes of course! Otherwise we wouldn't be here concerned about it. :rolleyes:

I am unattractive because of my acne, assymetrc face shape, long/broad chin/jaw & massive hamster dimple cheeks when i smile. i would serously consider a facial feministion procedure to make by lower face smaller, but then that might make the lip to nose distance look long - oh well might as well pump up the top lip a little to lift it up too

The other day I saw a girl who on first impression was absolutely beautiful. She had gorgeous hair and features and I noticed her from far off. Then I got nearer; she had pitted acne scars across the entirety of her face. Yet she was so confident that it was clear she didn't let the scars push her down. That's something I would give alot for - confidence and a bit of self belief. Nobody is unattractive, it's just how we present ourselves that makes the difference.

The other day I saw a girl who on first impression was absolutely beautiful. She had gorgeous hair and features and I noticed her from far off. Then I got nearer; she had pitted acne scars across the entirety of her face. Yet she was so confident that it was clear she didn't let the scars push her down. That's something I would give alot for - confidence and a bit of self belief. Nobody is unattractive, it's just how we present ourselves that makes the difference.

Acne is unfortunately unattractive, but like you i met some people that have it bad and its incredible how confident they can be. I wasnt able to be like that too much but I guess some people are just stronger than others. Then again, ive acted confidently many times in public with bad acne but deep down inside i think we all are hurting a bit and saying why me when we realize how rare bad acne is.

Guest Timehealsall

Acne is unfortunately unattractive, but like you i met some people that have it bad and its incredible how confident they can be. I wasnt able to be like that too much but I guess some people are just stronger than others. Then again, ive acted confidently many times in public with bad acne but deep down inside i think we all are hurting a bit and saying why me when we realize how rare bad acne is.

Yep. I wonder how common moderate acne is..

To answer the o.p. question, it sure as hell doesn't make you attractive