Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James Small

Does your family say anything about your acne?

Today my mum told me that I'd better 'start using Sudocrem again as it helped my acne', which implies my acne has got worse - when in fact it's got better.

I was just wondering if your family also comment on your acne, and if so do they make you feel better or unintentionally worse? Sometimes, maybe, we don't want to be reminded about our skin - especially by the ones who are supposed to give support!

my parents comment on my acne all the time...it just makes me feel worse everytime. they say things like, you have to wash your face more often.....

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Or perhaps she only said that because you still have acne, and she figures "well he's had acne for a while, maybe he should start using something that helped clear his skin up before."

I definitely think she was trying to be helpful, but she unintentionally made me feel worse.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

MY sister has perfect skin and I hate when she comments on my acne. I hate it. I feel like she has no right. Even when she tells me that my skin is clearing up I get so annoyed. Like I don't want to talk about it so don't bring it up. I feel the same way with my mom. I just have so much anger... I'm the only one in my whole family with this disgusting stuff on my face. I hate when my mom gives me a product and it breaks me out and then later on she tells me did you use this did you use this? I'm like yes it broke me out so stop!

Oh, the worst! Especially from my grandma and friend's parents, actually everyone just felt the need to say something. I guess because it's staring them right in the face :( Before I went on Accutane, I remember my friend's dad just being like, Oh my gosh, what happened to your face? Every time I'd see my grandma, it would be, "Lily, your face looks terrible, have you gone to a dermatologist" blah blah blah, go see a doctor. I once freaked out on her and still feel terrible for doing so, but honestly it's so horrible to feel self-conscious all the time already and then have someone reaffirm how awful it truly does look!

yea :( my mum suffered from acne and still does from time to time but she gave up trying to treat it so she let it be. shes outgrown it at the age of 45 but still gets minor breakouts from time to time. she has scarring. whih makes me more determined to prevent mine and treat my acne. anyhow everytime i try to talk to her about it you know my feeling and such she ignores me maybe beause she doesnt want to see me upset or whatever who knows.

i get teased by my brothers who call me spotty, spot the dog, or see cousins who say things such as "what happened to your face" or "whats on your face" well duh its acne not tooo hard to suss that one out grrr it annoys the hell outa me when people says whats that on your face so concerned like they dont know theyre spots!

also my famile tell me "you shouldnt use soo many things on your face maybe you wont get acne"

well duh my mum didnt treat her acne whih is why she has scaring i want to prevent that thank you very muchhh ughhhhhhhh it drives me mad. like i havnt tried the water only regimen which only led my acne to more mod/severe!!

end rant sorry. i had to let that out when i read all your stories too

my mom sometimes doesn´t say anything about my acne...i can see it in her eyes when she stares at my pimples!

but now she is always saying...Nair your skin looks so fresh today...so white! your skin is beautiful. now my acne is healing...but i wear a small amount of makeup...shhh she doesn´t know about it...jaja. so it makes my acne less visible.

No, not really. I mean I always bitch about it and my mom either says

a) its not noticeable

b) shut up itll go away stop thinknig about it

c) it is getting better.

My 10 year old sister, thanks shes hot stuff becuase shes yet to get zits. So she thinks she can go off her high horse and make fun of my spots. Oh, Karma is gonna bite her in the ass in a few years (especially ecuase she doesnt wash her face EVER, and has to be reminded to take a shower ,which only happens once a week)Ew.

Oh, the worst! Especially from my grandma and friend's parents, actually everyone just felt the need to say something. I guess because it's staring them right in the face :( Before I went on Accutane, I remember my friend's dad just being like, Oh my gosh, what happened to your face? Every time I'd see my grandma, it would be, "Lily, your face looks terrible, have you gone to a dermatologist" blah blah blah, go see a doctor. I once freaked out on her and still feel terrible for doing so, but honestly it's so horrible to feel self-conscious all the time already and then have someone reaffirm how awful it truly does look!

Pardon my curiosity. What exactly did you say to your grandma?

But its SO annoying. ITs like"OOo god whats with your face?" "Whats on your face?" 'You have acne!" Its like um, DUH,I have a mirror, I am pretty sure of all people I know I have bumps all over my face. Do you think I want them there? Do you think I dont kill myself al lthe time trying to get rpd of them? Im Soory, let me pull out my magic wandand get rid of this so you wont be tortured into looking at me! :doubt:

My mom always points it out. I hate it even if she didn't mean it to be mean.

And when I have a huge pimple my dad always says, "Man, I heard the neighbors talking about you friend on your face." :|

Yes, but usually it's either good things or I bring it up myself.

Like, somedays my face will be better and my mom would say something like, "Oh your face is looking better!"

Other days I'll be like, "UGH. I'm breaking out." And she'll usually just say, "Oh yeah, I see it. Is it because blahblah?" And I'll say whatever answers her after that.

She's pretty supportive. My brother moved away, so he doesn't see my face often to comment on it. Besides, he's not the type to say anything really. He had acne and probably assumes I don't want to talk about it or anything.

When my mom saw me without make-up she was pretty alarmed and was like, "[alphabetpony,] you're skin is looking pretty bad. Why don't you make an appt with the doctor; maybe she can give you some tips and teach you how to wash your face..." :( After that, I never went around their house without make-up again. I still feel a horrible resentment towards her, but I'm not sure why....she was basically right that I looked like shit.

My family never really mentioned acne around me when it was bad, but when my face started getting better they suddenly seemed to notice my skin and would be like "Your skin is so much better!" It makes me wonder what they were thinking before it started improving...

Hell yeah i get it from them all the time, everday their trying to give me advice!! It makes me mad but thank full that there trying to help me out but its best if they don't in my opinion. Lol my uncle once told me to put ear wax on my acne and it will help lol i was laughing my ass off cause he was dead serious about it!

My parents are very supportive although sometimes they're tired with me and my countless products :( but they still buy it for me, especially my dad, he took me to derms and everything. Because they used to have acne too.

I feel like sometimes i act like a bitch ( like yelling and angry) to him because i don't want him to ask about my acne but i know he just wants me to be clear and enjoy this shitty life. My mom's like you have to stop putting so much products in your face and wash with salt water then you'll be clear ( yeah like i DIDN'T TRY IT BEFORE, totally helpless wwith flaky skin :( ) But she's helpful too. So i think i'm lucky :)

Wow I can't believe how many of these stories I'm reading and relating too. So good to not feel alone :)

My mum also had acne - and went on roaccatane. She had it from age 14 - 23. She met my Dad when she was 17 so he's seen it all too.

For the above reasons, I thought that they would be super understanding. But in the past my Dad has gotten quite angry with me for being depressed, saying that it's not the end of the world etc. Typical bloke! "oh RIGHT! you've ordered me to stop being upset and magically I am happy again. thanks for solving all my problems Dad"

A few Sundays ago I went round to my parents house. The first thing my mum say "Abi your skin looks AWFUL, you should go to the pharmacy and use the prescription my derm gave you!"

I'd spent over £100 on Clinique products and supplements that month and I was so upset that they weren't working. In fact, I'd been looking in the mirror thinking that my skin looked better!

It was the most disheartening thing in the world for my own mum to point out something that I was so sensitive about, I went and hid in a toilet and cried for twenty minutes. I was crying for so many reasons - that I'd wasted so much money, that I'd been having false hope, that other people were noticing it, that my own mum could be so insensitive. but most of all that I couldn't see an end to the depression I was feeling about my own face - something I can't hide.

I knew that she was trying to help and she felt very upset that she had caused me to feel like that.

The funny thing is, I went to the derm the next day and started using epiduo and my skin is gradually healing. My parents are on holiday in America for a month so when they get back hopefully I will have clear skin to show off!

I have three brothers, two of which are far too lovely to ever comment on my skin- and then there's the youngest, horriblest little terror. When we argue, he repeatedly calls me 'acneface' until I either beat him up or break down into tears. He's a heartless child, and being the youngest he's spoilt. Eugh. :wall:

My mom is the concerned, wants-to-help-but-only-makes-me-feel-worse type, but my sister? Ohhh my sister :dry: She has pretty clear skin, and is not sensitive AT ALL to other people's feelings. Like I don't think she means to be mean (some of the time at least) but she can really deflate my self esteem.

Sometimes she just goes up to me and looks really closely at my face, then says in this deriding tone, "Do you even wash your face?" and makes this look like AGHHH I can't explain this right but it's soo freaking angry-fying *fumes*

And a few days ago, we were at summer school waiting for our mom with a bunch of friends, and she suddenly starts talking to me about my skin. By the way, I have mild to moderate acne, depends on the day I guess. That day was kind of bad. But anyway. She started talking louder and louder, and then she got up and almost shouted, "You have like 50 there *points to my forehead* and like 20 there *points to my nose* and like 20 more there *points to my cheeks*." and then she left. Pretty much everyone was now staring at my face, which by the way, does NOT have that many pimples. *Self confidence drops to negative 3* :boohoo:

My parents tell me that it isn't as bad as I think, but I think they are just being nice. My dad today told me to stop worrying so much cause everyone gets pimples, even him. I don't see them, though!

My aunt has an amazing eye for detail unfortunetly she can get so focused on something she doesn't see the whole thing and it also makes her very critical. Anyway she always notices my bad skin and she starts talking about foods or face creams and i know whats coming then she says it could help my skin. She is very supportive but sometimes she can be so hurtful like i was feeling quite good one day although i was wearing foundation and she starts talking about my skin, so i say i'm covering ot up and she says well it hasn't worked as it your skin still looks horrible WHAM like a punch in stomach. The worst part is my skin gets worse after she comments about it because then i get self concious, run to the mirror and start picking...

Another time i had a huge breakout and when she saw me the first thing was 'oh my god whats happened to your face?!!' and she kept stressing the word 'spot' all afternoon. I went straight to bed afterwards and just cried all night...

my mum also use to call me 'spotty' when i was especially sensitive about my skin and i think that caused me to pick as well.

When i went to uni i came back the next year and they all said how my skin was much better- the reason? i was away from them and therefore was thinking less about my acne. I love them to bits but i just don;t think they realise how much acne has destroyed my life emotionally and physically...or rather that i have let it destroy me...sigh